Enve Melee

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

Sock3t wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:02 am
There's three more frames coming. A gravel bike, an endurance bike, and some other race bike, I think.
Another race bike ? The Melee is positioned as a race bike so what would another be ?
Also an endurance bike looks pretty strange given that the geometry is not that extreme for the melee and has 35mm tire clearance and a way to fit mudguards.
I'm really looking into this as I doubt I will get to a real gravel bike. I just need a nice bike that I can use with proper tires and mudguards in winter time
But curious about your info with regard to a racebike ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Frankly I'd be surprised if there wasn't an XC hardtail race bike before another road model drops. Why make the road range too congested before havig a single option to put their MTB wheels in?

jch3n

by jch3n

wickedstealthy wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:20 pm
Another race bike ? The Melee is positioned as a race bike so what would another be ?
Maybe a full aero one? The Melee is more of a semi-aero allrounder.

pmprego

by pmprego

jch3n wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:17 pm
wickedstealthy wrote:
A new company (in the frame market) manufacturing 3-5 different frames. If they do it, quality will suffer significantly. For the sake of the company, I hope it's just a rumor (or as we say in my country, a "bitaite").

Besides, as pointed out by someone else, if they make mtb wheels, it would make much more sense to make a mtb frame.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

pmprego wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:26 am
A new company (in the frame market) manufacturing 3-5 different frames. If they do it, quality will suffer significantly.
Why? The Melee is already outsourced manufacturing. If they can set the quality standards they want for that (just like they already do with their bars, stems, forks etc), they can set the quality standard they want for other frames.
Besides, as pointed out by someone else, if they make mtb wheels, it would make much more sense to make a mtb frame.
I'd add that Enve themselves have said as much already. When the Melee was released they were asked if more frames were coming and they said "look at the rest of our product line and you can figure it out."

pmprego

by pmprego

Karvalo wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:18 pm
pmprego wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:26 am
A new company (in the frame market) manufacturing 3-5 different frames. If they do it, quality will suffer significantly.
Why? The Melee is already outsourced manufacturing. If they can set the quality standards they want for that (just like they already do with their bars, stems, forks etc), they can set the quality standard they want for other frames.
I'd add that Enve themselves have said as much already. When the Melee was released they were asked if more frames were coming and they said "look at the rest of our product line and you can figure it out."
The mtb I can see an argument. A really adventerous style gravel bike also. More than that I fint it weird.
As for the QC, it's not scalable as easy as one can imagine. QC is really a tricky business (hey... why are so many companies moving to threaded BB?!) and it is especially tricky for newcomers and enve is a newcomer in the frame building business. Now try to scale that for 4-5 different frames. Man... they can beat the trend/average, after all, an average/trend is really some players above and below the line. They can really be an outlier but it is never easy to be an outlier and I for sure wouldn't be betting my money on outliers. Besides, it's a really risky deal for enve as well as if things go wrong it can really backfire in the brand's image. But hey... it's their business, not mine thus I don't really care.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

pmprego wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:38 pm
As for the QC, it's not scalable as easy as one can imagine. QC is really a tricky business (hey... why are so many companies moving to threaded BB?!) and it is especially tricky for newcomers and enve is a newcomer in the frame building business.
You've skimmed over the outsourced manufacturing bit. Enve build the Custom Road. They don't build the Melee and they can also not build whatever's coming next. That's being done by people who are not newcomers.

TBH Enve's gone through phases of having absolutely shocking QC on their Utah made rims, I'd be more inclined to trust the stuff like the Melee and whatever else is in the pipeline that comes from someone else's factory.
Last edited by Karvalo on Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

jch3n wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:17 pm
wickedstealthy wrote:
Yup that was what I was thinking. But very curious then how it would look like

pmprego

by pmprego

Karvalo wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:57 pm
pmprego wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:38 pm
As for the QC, it's not scalable as easy as one can imagine. QC is really a tricky business (hey... why are so many companies moving to threaded BB?!) and it is especially tricky for newcomers and enve is a newcomer in the frame building business.
You've skimmed over the outsourced manufacturing bit. Enve build the Custom Road. They don't build the Melee and they can also not build whatever's coming next. That's being done by people who are not newcomers.

TBH Enve's gone through phases of having absolutely shocking QC on their Utah made rims, I'd be more inclined to trust the stuff like the Melee and whatever else is in the pipeline that comes from someone else's factory.
And you confused how QC works in worldwide logistics. But I'm not going to go further on this. I hope all the best for any product enve or any other brand releases. At whatever the price. Freedom to all. Manufcturers and customers. :thumbup:

I Just come here to see people showing their melee's and their feedback of it.

jonloh

by jonloh

Just got my Melee from the bike shop today. I built it up with SES 4.5 wheels and Red Etap and since this is weightweenies, full bike with pedals and garmin mount is about 7.5kg.

I just had a quick spin around the carpark and the bike feels super planted with the ENVE 27mm tubless tyres. More comprehensive feedback after I do a long ride this weekend.

Workmanship and finishing of the frame looks decent to me. No major/glaring issues so far.

Let me know if any one has any questions and wants specific feedback and I'll do my best to reply.
Attachments
PXL_20220920_070148958_2.jpg
PXL_20220920_070210579.jpg

jackie

by jackie

dropping in with my melee
had it for about 3 weeks now. build it with campy Ekar and campy WTO wheels
Very different build from most of the folks and
Dist that bring in the bike said i am the only one with campy 1x that he saw
size 54,
Detail as follow
40cm bar with 100mm stem and 30cm spacer ( the new stem is very heavy)
Non setback seatpost 350mm
Ekar 170mm 40t crank
Ekar 9/36 cassette
Campy WTO 33
Pirelli cinturato velo tyres, ( heavy as hell)
Favero powermeter ,
Enve bottle cage ,
Enve wahoo mount
bike weigh in at about 7.4kg
Build finish of the bike is great
i could lower the weight with a change in lighter wheelsets and tires.
20220916_082713.jpg
20220916_084026.jpg

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

jackie wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:53 am
40cm bar with 100mm stem and 30cm spacer ( the new stem is very heavy)
How heavy?
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

pmprego

by pmprego

jonloh wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:21 pm
Just got my Melee from the bike shop today. I built it up with SES 4.5 wheels and Red Etap and since this is weightweenies, full bike with pedals and garmin mount is about 7.5kg.

I just had a quick spin around the carpark and the bike feels super planted with the ENVE 27mm tubless tyres. More comprehensive feedback after I do a long ride this weekend.

Workmanship and finishing of the frame looks decent to me. No major/glaring issues so far.

Let me know if any one has any questions and wants specific feedback and I'll do my best to reply.
Is this a size 52 or smaller?
In vid's of the melee i've seen small discrepancies between the stack/reach they paint on the frame and their geometry table. Can you please confirm which size do you have and what is the stack/reach painted on the frame? Many thanks!!

jackie

by jackie

pmprego wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:58 am
jonloh wrote:

In vid's of the melee i've seen small discrepancies between the stack/reach they paint on the frame and their geometry table. Can you please confirm which size do you have and what is the stack/reach painted on the frame? Many thanks!!
that should be a size 50..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

jackie wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:29 am
pmprego wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:58 am
jonloh wrote:

that should be a size 50..
Btw, can you confirm yours 54 printed stack/reach? Is it 552/386?