Enve Melee

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tmanley

by tmanley

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:49 pm
It's fine. Not nearly as exciting as their custom road. I don't care for sloping geometries in general, but this top-tube angle is straight up enduro territory. I'm sure it'll be well built just like their other components, but above and beyond nothing to write home about, and certainly nothing that inherently screams ENVE from design alone.
With the sloping TT this geometry won't work for me and the 350mm seatpost. Not enough distance for the 90cm I need between BB and saddle. Oh well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cpark

by cpark

jayjay wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:01 am
What do you think about the new Enve Melee?
https://www.enve.com/lp-melee/

If I would need a new roadbike I would definitely consider this frame set because it ticks so many boxes :)
I think it's a compelling offer.
I have a Swroks Tarmac and 2 Aethos and I wish it had a bit more tire clearance, so I can ride on rough unpacked road.

meditationride

by meditationride

Early ride impressions for this bike is that I think it's sublime.
I have mine equipped with 12spd ultegra di2, aeolus rsl 51 wheels + gp5ks. Previous bikes for comparison were cervelo R3, C3, and ridley xtrail. I have no experience with other "superbike" frames and builds so this enve melee represents a significant upgrade.
I find it more plush and smooth than the C3 and happier to accelerate/climb/corner than the R3. It is a very confident ride and the feedback encourages to put more power to the pedals.
Downhill was an adjustment as it'll coast faster than the previous bikes but mid corner corrections are easily handled.
Overall, it feels fantastic.

pmprego

by pmprego

meditationride wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:51 pm
I have mine equipped with 12spd ultegra di2, aeolus rsl 51 wheels + gp5ks. Previous bikes for comparison were cervelo R3, C3, and ridley xtrail. I have no experience with other "superbike" frames and builds so this enve melee represents a significant upgrade.
I find it more plush and smooth than the C3 and happier to accelerate/climb/corner than the R3. It is a very confident ride and the feedback encourages to put more power to the pedals.
Downhill was an adjustment as it'll coast faster than the previous bikes but mid corner corrections are easily handled.
Seems like just the perfect build! :up:

stannymenza

by stannymenza

meditationride wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:51 pm
Any idea on the weight, and what size?

bananastand

by bananastand

Need pics my friend! and frame weight/size :)

meditationride

by meditationride

been out with this fun ride!
Whether it makes me go faster is secondary to how it feels and the laughs it gives in my opinion. It actually makes climbing fun and hilarious of how easy it feels? I'm still in the honeymoon phase.
Comfort-wise, I feel pretty good the next day after a hilly 100km ride. That was not the case with my previous bikes.
Unfortunately I don't have a scale, it's a 54cm frame, 100mm stem, 42cm bars, non-setback post.
Build quality from what's visible are close tolerances with no odd corrections or compensations in shape. Paint is smooth, consistent, no excess around mouldings or hardware. Mechanic states no sharp edges and buildup was uneventful. Seatpost mechanism is odd, 3 separate pieces held in by 1 screw. It does slip a few mm during my rides.
Attachments
IMG_0919.jpg
IMG_0918.jpg

pmprego

by pmprego

meditationride wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:49 pm
Whether it makes me go faster is secondary to how it feels and the laughs it gives in my opinion. It actually makes climbing fun and hilarious of how easy it feels? I'm still in the honeymoon phase.
Comfort-wise, I feel pretty good the next day after a hilly 100km ride. That was not the case with my previous bikes.
Unfortunately I don't have a scale, it's a 54cm frame, 100mm stem, 42cm bars, non-setback post.
Build quality from what's visible are close tolerances with no odd corrections or compensations in shape. Paint is smooth, consistent, no excess around mouldings or hardware. Mechanic states no sharp edges and buildup was uneventful. Seatpost mechanism is odd, 3 separate pieces held in by 1 screw. It does slip a few mm during my rides.
It slips every ride??

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

TLN wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:25 pm
ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:49 pm
It's fine. Not nearly as exciting as their custom road. I don't care for sloping geometries in general, but this top-tube angle is straight up enduro territory. I'm sure it'll be well built just like their other components, but above and beyond nothing to write home about, and certainly nothing that inherently screams ENVE from design alone.
Colnago V3Rs or the new Basso have relative tall stacks with proper seatpost length

Are there any good examples of bikes with taller stack and good looking top tubes? Especially in big sizes (58,61). It seems that most brands make short seat tube to expose seatpost, but that means either sloping tope tube, or lots of spacers. Or handlebars with rise. All three options are pretty ugly

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

meditationride wrote:
If it slips, it's not good QC. I have less than 4Nm on any round seatpost and using Bike Ahead i can use as little as 2Nm and no slip.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

tomtom

by tomtom

meditationride wrote:
Supernice build :thumbup: ! Shiny black wheels.....have not seen that much on the roads in the Netherlands. Can you please remove the "hiddious" Ultegra discs (they are not even the same :shock: )?! They mess up the beautiful frame/bike imo.....
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

ccie6872

by ccie6872

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:42 pm
meditationride wrote:
If it slips, it's not good QC. I have less than 4Nm on any round seatpost and using Bike Ahead i can use as little as 2Nm and no slip.
FWIW - 500 miles on mine and I have had zero seatpost slipping issues.

V3Rs

by V3Rs

Seems like many of the bikes using aero seatposts slip... I read that using valve grinding paste in lieu of the more common
carbon paste is the trick...

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

V3Rs wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:35 pm
Seems like many of the bikes using aero seatposts slip... I read that using valve grinding paste in lieu of the more common
carbon paste is the trick...
I tighten.. bump it around slightly with a rubber mallet and re-tighten and it does not slip from there.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

This is why I like the Madone seatpost design. The wedge is on the post and it pushes out against the ST, putting it in tension rather than crushing it.