34mm tubeless road tires

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pmprego

by pmprego

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:27 pm
mrlobber wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:32 pm

I wouldn't wonder about the lack of products. For road riding 34mm+ wide tyres aren't necessary; if the roads you're riding on are THAT bad, you're really better served by gravel stuff. Sure, there are people who still would find these widths useful, but they're a niche, just like the ones who are fine riding 23mm tubs (like me).

No, there's a definite need for wide road tires, not gravel slicks with weird tread patterns and tiny shoulder knobs. Just because you don't ride that way doesn't mean others don't also.
Imo a 32x that grows to 35mm is plenty enough for road riding. What would be the benefit of going 38/40mm on roads (even assuming bad roads).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bananastand

by bananastand

TobinHatesYou wrote:
mrlobber wrote:

I wouldn't wonder about the lack of products. For road riding 34mm+ wide tyres aren't necessary; if the roads you're riding on are THAT bad, you're really better served by gravel stuff. Sure, there are people who still would find these widths useful, but they're a niche, just like the ones who are fine riding 23mm tubs (like me).

No, there's a definite need for wide road tires, not gravel slicks with weird tread patterns and tiny shoulder knobs. Just because you don't ride that way doesn't mean others don't also.
Compass has filled that niche and like many of the other niches they fill, the absence of larger brands rushing in with copy cat products says a lot about the size of the market opportunity.

If I need a slick, WW light, fast rolling 34c nominal tire I’m either an old slow ibob nerd and I’m buying compass, or the surface will require cornering knobs and I’m a normie buying WTB gravel tires.

Correlation between people who ride positive rise stems and slick supple 35c tires is 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bikesnobyvr wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:35 pm

Compass has filled that niche and like many of the other niches they fill, the absence of larger brands rushing in with copy cat products says a lot about the size of the market opportunity.

If I need a slick, WW light, fast rolling 34c nominal tire I’m either an old slow ibob nerd and I’m buying compass, or the surface will require cornering knobs and I’m a normie buying WTB gravel tires.

Correlation between people who ride positive rise stems and slick supple 35c tires is 1.

Compass/Panaracer, Challenge, Pirelli (35mm), Schwalbe, Vittoria, etc.

30mm or 33mm Strada Biancas would absolutely be the right choice for some of the races out here. They'd also be a good tire for SF2G, particularly SF residents having to constantly ride through potholes or across cable car or MUNI tracks.

Miller

by Miller

I'm running the 34mm pro one on my main bike this summer. On nextie rims with 25mm inner width they inflate out to 36mm width. Love this wheel tyre combination for its comfort, speed and ability to take on unsurfaced roads.

I do not have a positive rise stem on any bike (bikesnob aptly named).

pmprego

by pmprego

Miller wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:52 pm
I'm running the 34mm pro one on my main bike this summer. On nextie rims with 25mm inner width they inflate out to 36mm width. Love this wheel tyre combination for its comfort, speed and ability to take on unsurfaced roads.

I do not have a positive rise stem on any bike (bikesnob aptly named).
My main bike goes up to 32mm measured at maximum.

Due to a problem with it, I spent my summer riding my wifes gravel bike where I've put a 32c that measured 34.5mm. I already know I'll have a very hard time going back to my 28c (measured 30/30.5mm) tires. The enve frame being officially. 35mm capable is suddenly a huge (really huge) plus when looking for a new frame.

I'll not be switching frame any time soon but I just hope this enve move puts pressure on other brands to release similarly minded frames. And I say this because I know where I live I'll have a very hard time getting my hand on a enve frame (but hope is the last to die).

For instance, reserve just out out wheels that are made for racing and are 33 and 35mm outside rim. The future is wider. Just like disc is now accepted to be the norm.
Last edited by pmprego on Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jch3n

by jch3n

Agree, would love more options in this category. I'm running 35mm Gravelking slicks on my all-road bike simply because nothing else seems to come close in terms of value, weight, and decent rolling resistance. Tempted to try the new Corsas when I need new tires.

Aeo

by Aeo

Little bit of my tire history if my memory serves correctly:
Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II 28mm -> 32mm on 20mm ID rim
Maxxis Re-Fuse 40mm
Panaracer Gravelking 38mm
Panaracer Gravelking 32mm
Vittoria Corsa Control 30mm

I would probably be happy with a tubeless compatible Vittoria Corsa 32mm, but it does not exist.
SAFA is running 32mm tube-type Corsas, and wider tires make sense not just for offroad but also for downhill bombing on road.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

mrlobber

by mrlobber

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:27 pm
mrlobber wrote:

Which is what I said, right? ;)

I just implied that people who need/ride either 23mm or 34mm (which clearly would be even bigger when measured) tyres for road are a minority, plus, of course, additionally limited by current road disc frame clearances.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The industry is moving toward WAM based on typical rim inner widths. For example Challenge 25-27mm tires are measured on 19c rims, the 28-33mm tires are measured on 21c rims and the 34-40mm tires are measured on 23c rims. In other words, 34mm Challenge tires would come up small on 21c rims and large on 25c rims.

Michelin is the outlier these days.

n1ey

by n1ey

mrlobber wrote:
Aeo wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:38 am
What is going on in this category? Where are the products?
I would like to see wide fast tread tires. I'm concerned about hydroplaning in September. The lower PSI is going to be an issue.
More of the towns within Plymouth County are replacing nicely asphalted roads with a coarse tarmac mix. We are going backward!!

Several roads have so many lumpy cold patch mixes.

Our "sectors" need a different tire than the ones that we rode in 1995.

TLN

by TLN

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:32 pm
TLN wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:52 pm
I was reading interesting article on rolling resistance, regarding ultra wide rims and tires. Something like nextie 29id, 32od, 40mm deep. 34c tire becomes 36-37, so rule of 105% is satisfied. That makes is very plush and comfy, with small rr penalty.

That sounss like solution for crappy roads though.
Plus this requires different frame (kanzoo fast). Im going to try 28-30c tire with 25/32 rims first before going wider

That's not at all satisfying the 105% rule, though I believe you are confusing some measurements. It's not possible to have a 29mm inner width and a 32mm outer width.
Im talking about 29inner/39 external wheels, with 34 tires at 37-38 measured.
Issue is that it wont likely fit in existing frames, and you have to choose from limited number of gravel racing frames.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

rollinslow

by rollinslow

n1ey wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:44 pm
mrlobber wrote:
Aeo wrote:
I would like to see wide fast tread tires. I'm concerned about hydroplaning in September. The lower PSI is going to be an issue.
More of the towns within Plymouth County are replacing nicely asphalted roads with a coarse tarmac mix. We are going backward!!

We're seeing that here in NY as well. Smooth tarmac replaces with a rough surface.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

TLN

by TLN

Here's the post about wide road wheels: https://torstenfrank.wordpress.com/2020 ... nd-gravel/

Here''s how it looks on a bike:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CZC5YABMevV/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd2-XvrsMk6/

Looks pretty interesting, if you got the "road bike clearance" (3-4mm on a side) and road bike geometry. There're only a few frames that allow that, besides obviously custom frames.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

pmprego

by pmprego

rollinslow wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:48 pm
n1ey wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:44 pm
mrlobber wrote:
Aeo wrote:

We're seeing that here in NY as well. Smooth tarmac replaces with a rough surface.
The biggest cost of a road is the recurrent maintenance (not the initial construction cost). New roads gives you votes. Old roads are just a headache. Thus, you save on old roads to spend on new ones. At least as long as that is what the electorate wants.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frisco

by Frisco

330 grams, but only tan wall available. Either this or compromising and going with a 32mm model.
332g measured for my strada bianca 33. average width 32.5mm +\- 0.3mm on 24mm internal hookless wheel. Maybe it could also be called a 32. One of three that I got would not go on because it was too small. They lost 20psi on the first night, and hopefully they hold up ok and don’t have any issues. I only have one ride on them at 45-50psi so far.