Best road crankset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

stevesbike wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:34 pm
Ride4Life wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:30 pm
cajer wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:27 pm
Is there a better power meter option than the Sram Red AXS crank with a quarq spider?
Everyone's needs are different but IMHO nothing beats Favero especially if you have multiple bikes.
I think a left crank option is the best - I can use it with both road and gravel setups unlike a road pedal and my Stages 386 carbon crankarm is actually lighter than the stock FSA k-force light one so the net result is a reduction in weight. I've used power meters since around 2005 and don't think dual-sided is much use for most people.
Great point.

I can as a good option for a lot of riders.

fsp15923

by fsp15923

Please post link on stockist selling Favero and are able to export to purchaser abroad?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Papounet9801

by Papounet9801

CampagYOLO wrote:I'm fairly sure that a Rotor Aldhu Carbon with a 30mm axle is lighter than a Dura Ace crank.
Do you know if the Rotor Aldhu Carbon is also compatible with a 24 mm axle? I’m looking for a lighter version as the standard Aldhu arms for a 24 mm axle.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

C36

by C36

The reality is that we don’t have any data to answer this question. Last tests I have in mind are one or two generations old and many new additions haven’t been tested.
- clavicula SE probably still lead in STW being both, among the stiffest and lightest available and no competitor come close to its design (Look had one but exclusively used on their frames).
- many interesting attempts over the years failed in deliver (eebrakes, ciamilo, wert, skypivot…).
- seems brands that had proprietary cranksets are moving away (look and specialized stopped theirs when they were probably the stiffest available) and Cannondale has less and less bikes offering their SI* cranksets

Supersix evo2 HM - 5.9 stiff-aero version, 5.6kg light specs.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Papounet9801 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:30 pm
CampagYOLO wrote:I'm fairly sure that a Rotor Aldhu Carbon with a 30mm axle is lighter than a Dura Ace crank.
Do you know if the Rotor Aldhu Carbon is also compatible with a 24 mm axle? I’m looking for a lighter version as the standard Aldhu arms for a 24 mm axle.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
I'm fairly sure it's 30mm only.

I'd also add the Cannondale SiSl crankset to the list of best cranksets. A fair bit lighter than Dura Ace and no compromise on shifting or stiffness.

Try to find one now though for a reasonable price... :roll:

cajer

by cajer

C36 wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:44 pm
The reality is that we don’t have any data to answer this question. Last tests I have in mind are one or two generations old and many new additions haven’t been tested.
- clavicula SE probably still lead in STW being both, among the stiffest and lightest available and no competitor come close to its design (Look had one but exclusively used on their frames).
- many interesting attempts over the years failed in deliver (eebrakes, ciamilo, wert, skypivot…).
- seems brands that had proprietary cranksets are moving away (look and specialized stopped theirs when they were probably the stiffest available) and Cannondale has less and less bikes offering their SI* cranksets

Supersix evo2 HM - 5.9 stiff-aero version, 5.6kg light specs.
I have a skypivot and a powermeter for it. It's pretty nice apart from the whole I don't know if it'll break when im riding it issue. So I stopped using it. Super light with a power meter though.

What happened to the wert crankset and were there plans for a powermeter for it?

flying

by flying

A real sleeper in the Campagnolo range is the H11 crankset
At 603-636 gr with USB bearings it is lighter than Record & about same as Super Record 12
a bargain at times in the 2-$300 range
Crank Campy H11- 636.2gr.jpg

Hexsense

by Hexsense

oh, these bearings weight 23-32g each.
So, comparing weight without bearings to other cranks would sound even better.

Sram Red bb30 is still lighter yet, but it doesn't fit evety frame and is kinda obsoleted.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

flying wrote:A real sleeper in the Campagnolo range is the H11 crankset
At 603-636 gr with USB bearings it is lighter than Record & about same as Super Record 12
a bargain at times in the 2-$300 range
Crank Campy H11- 636.2gr.jpg
This. Otherwise Campag SR 12. It does everything right, at a cost.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

iamraymond

by iamraymond

[SRAM Red 22 BB30 comes in at 360g with the integrated spider. Add in the chainrings + bolts and you're around 450-520g.

The Cannondale cranks are lighter but I'd be nervous about running them due to multiple reports of riders cracking the arms.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

iamraymond wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:50 am
Damn that Wert crank is extremely light. Did they ever make it into production?
I'm not 100% sure. I know Fairwheel used one of the 2 prototypes on their Spin 2.7kg build.

da123

by da123

cajer wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:16 am
BigBoyND wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:00 am
cajer wrote:
Is there a better power meter option than the Sram Red AXS crank with a quarq spider?
This. Isn't it lighter than Aldhu Carbon, too?
Yup.
Is this right? My Rotor Aldhu carbon with carbon-ti chainrings (46/33) is 520g (everything minus the BB). I used this to replace my 1x SRAM Red AXS crankset (46t), which was 528g. I would have thought a 2x SRAM Red AXS crank would be heavier than the 1x.

The Clavicula SE is lighter still, though perhaps not as much as you think. I have the power meter version on my road bike, and it is 445g, again with carbon ti rings (52/36).

All three (Red, Rotor and Clavicula) are very nice looking cranks IMO. Rotor and THM probably edge it when paired with carbon ti, just cos few people have them. Can't comment on stiffness, they are all the same ballpark, and nothing you're going to notice.

Shift quality is a different story. I've used the Rotor and the THM (with the carbon ti rings) with both AXS and 12s dura ace. They work fine with dura ace (not quite as slick as with DA cranks, but perfectly good), but AXS is a complete PITA to set up without chain drops over the big ring.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

da123 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:40 pm
cajer wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
cajer wrote:
Yup.
Is this right? My Rotor Aldhu carbon with carbon-ti chainrings (46/33) is 520g (everything minus the BB). I used this to replace my 1x SRAM Red AXS crankset (46t), which was 528g. I would have thought a 2x SRAM Red AXS crank would be heavier than the 1x.

The Clavicula SE is lighter still, though perhaps not as much as you think. I have the power meter version on my road bike, and it is 445g, again with carbon ti rings (52/36).

All three (Red, Rotor and Clavicula) are very nice looking cranks IMO. Rotor and THM probably edge it when paired with carbon ti, just cos few people have them. Can't comment on stiffness, they are all the same ballpark, and nothing you're going to notice.

Shift quality is a different story. I've used the Rotor and the THM (with the carbon ti rings) with both AXS and 12s dura ace. They work fine with dura ace (not quite as slick as with DA cranks, but perfectly good), but AXS is a complete PITA to set up without chain drops over the big ring.
The older FSA K-Force light, 2015-2016 shifts better on Etap than Srams own crank.
It's also more clearance between the DS crankarm and the FD cage which makes it a win win.
I have used both cranks with 50/36.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

cajer

by cajer

da123 wrote:
cajer wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
cajer wrote:
Yup.

Is this with a powermeter on both? Also I'd try to weigh them with the same ring. I found some weight weenie member weights and a picture of some weighed powermeter rotor carbon cranks (on a different website) and the red axs with quarq 5 bolt spider was a bit lighter

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

da123

by da123

cajer wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:08 pm
da123 wrote:
cajer wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:

Yup.

Is this with a powermeter on both? Also I'd try to weigh them with the same ring. I found some weight weenie member weights and a picture of some weighed powermeter rotor carbon cranks (on a different website) and the red axs with quarq 5 bolt spider was a bit lighter
No, but I don't think there's much difference adding a PM between the two, as it's a similar system. In fact, the Sigeyi option for the Rotor 5 bolt crank is possibly slightly lighter than the Quark on the SRAM? You can't weigh them with the same ring - the SRAM AXS Red crankset has integrated rings so you can't use a different option, just like you can't put SRAM AXS 'rings' on a Rotor crank.

In any event, it sounds like you're talking a matter of a few grams between the two, so not enough to make a decision on IMO.