Help me choose: 2014 Scott Foil Premium vs 2017 Scott Foil 10

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

marusanek52

by marusanek52

Hi guys,

I'm asking for help as I'm completely clueless here. I have the option to either buy a 2014 Scott Foil Premium - this one is for 1000€. For the price I'd get the frameset, giant slr 1 wheels, crankset and brakes (ultegra 8000) - shifting not included. The other option is a complete 2016 Foil 10 for 1400€ - this one is built on Ultegra di2 8050 but has aluminium wheels.

Is there a massive difference between the frames of the lower models and the premium? And are those good deals or should I hunt around for some other models? I want a bike that's aero but still reasonably lightweight.

Ytse

by Ytse

The first generation Foil, introduced to the market in 2011 is known for its stiffness, which can also be translated to "extremely harsh ride", if you will. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but can make longer rides exhausting. The next gen Foil, that was sold from 2016 is said to be much more compliant. In my eyes, it looks more modern as well, but there is a caveat: it uses an integrated stem, so make sure the one coming with the bike suits you, otherwise it can be a lengthy process to buy a longer or shorter one. The 1st gen Foil uses off the shelf components, so sourcing a different size stem will be very easy. On the other hand, newer Foil sports direct mount brakes, giving you better stopping power.

Regarding carbon layups, AFAIk Foil Premium and Team Issues use HMX carbon layup, Foil 10 is HMF "only", which means more weight, but as this bike is designed to be fast on flat and rolling terrain, low weight probably wasn't the most important factor for engineers and most probably you would not feel 100-200 grams difference.

If I would be you, I would go for the newer Foil and replace the alloy wheels with some more modern carbons if budget permits - and would opt for the widest tyre possible to add even more comfort, tubeless if possible.
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PinaRene

by PinaRene

I don't think it is a harsh ride on my 2012 Scott Foil HM X. With my Zipp 303 FC and Veloflex Corsa TLR 28mm it is a fine bike to ride. Balance between weight and comfort is fine ( bike is ride ready 7.0 Kg ) and did some 150-200Km rides with it. It's my 10th year now I ride the bike, and not even once it crossed my mind tobsell it.

But for @marusanek52: I don't know your budget but both bikes are great. Both are 2nd hand so beware for cracks / fouls or/and anything like that.

Good luck with your choice!

alanyu

by alanyu

I would say the 2nd gen. Foil is much better than the 1st gen. in design. I've ridden both with the same wheels and the same tyres in a test ride event by the scott dealer when it was first introduced to china. The 2nd. gen gave me more comfort on my ass riding on some badly paved sidewalks, but still felt the same stiffness when sprinting. Also it is more aero than the 1st gen.
The 2nd gen Foil is the first bike considered that one rules all, no? Relatively aero (213W by tour), relatively light (965g for a premium frame), and huge comfort (the first aerobike winning Paris-Roubaix) compare to other aerobike such as propel, reacto, venge, etc. in 2016.

marusanek52

by marusanek52

Thanks for the replies guys. What about the S5? I heard it's really harsh too?

marusanek52

by marusanek52

PinaRene wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:11 am
I don't think it is a harsh ride on my 2012 Scott Foil HM X. With my Zipp 303 FC and Veloflex Corsa TLR 28mm it is a fine bike to ride. Balance between weight and comfort is fine ( bike is ride ready 7.0 Kg ) and did some 150-200Km rides with it. It's my 10th year now I ride the bike, and not even once it crossed my mind tobsell it.

But for @marusanek52: I don't know your budget but both bikes are great. Both are 2nd hand so beware for cracks / fouls or/and anything like that.

Good luck with your choice!
My budget is around 1700€. There's a lot of options 😃. Have you ever ridden a Cervelo S5?

PinaRene

by PinaRene

No but my son still owns a Cervélo S2 2012 and that thing is stiff and harsh !!

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Hey all, does anyone have any aero figures for the first generation Scott Foil? I'm running one now, its not a bad bike, but I'm wondering whether it's worth upgrading the frame to a more aero model.

Cheers all,
Kurt

Omiar

by Omiar

In both cases, it rim-brake so if you are fine with that, the 2016 Foil 10 for 1400€ seems like a much better deal. A complete bike, just buy a good wheelset.
1st gen Foil frames where specific for electronic or mechnical groupset.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com