Oakley Prizm Road versus competitor lenses like POC (Carl Zeiss)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gorkypl

by gorkypl

req110 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:47 am
Sounds like there is no better lens for road purposes than Prizm Road right?
I find Julbo photochromic rose better, as they work similarily to Prizm + are photochromic.

In general, I have used Oakley, Bolle, Smith and Julbo - and have not found any fundamental differences in lens quality between them.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Roadbiker10 wrote:
wheelbuilder wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:58 am
Several years ago I switched from various Oakley with prizm lenses to Koo (for helmet compatibility reasons) that have Zeiss lens. The optical clarity difference between the two was shocking. Zeiss makes a quality lens if you can find glasses with them.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
I don't know, maybe it's just me not noticing then. I haven't used the Koos much. They are far from Oakleys in terms of fit and how tight they stay on your face though. At least in my case.
Agree. The Koo I own are not as tight to the face or as movement free as Oakley.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Never cheer before you know who is winning

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

req110 wrote:
I have Smith Optics and Sutro with those lenses. I like both, i doubt you would complain of the Sutro though!
However, if you ride gravel you might pick trail lenses.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

req110

by req110

I mean, i have Prizm Road (on Sutro S), but was considering to change styling to POC Aspire and need to reseach if there are some good lenses, as good and functional as Prizm Road.
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

I do like the Prizm lenses from Oakley. The most versatile I have found is Prizm Trail Torch, I can wear this from near darkness to bright sun. For very bright conditions Prizm Road and Prizm Ruby are excellent, I tend to prefer contrast enhancing so the Ruby is really great. I have a pair of Jawbreakers with the traditional Fire lens and I also have the Prizm Ruby lens and both have about the same base tint but the Prizm Ruby just seems sharper. I also have Prizm Low Light which is nice for the dark winter days of the PNW.

The only thing I have had happen was my very first Prizm Road lens ended up with all these crazy micro cracks in the mirror finish. They were very very thin cracks and not even noticeable when wearing, but if I looked in the correct light it was like the whole outer layer had micro cracks. Oakley replaced on warranty no issues, and I think I have seen a couple of other people say they have experienced similar. Every other Prizm lens I have owned has been fine.

andreas

by andreas

gorkypl wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:02 am
req110 wrote:
I find Julbo photochromic rose better, as they work similarily to Prizm + are photochromic.

In general, I have used Oakley, Bolle, Smith and Julbo - and have not found any fundamental differences in lens quality between them.
While I certainly love and use my Julbo photochromic lenses a lot, I find the contrast better on my Prizm Road lenses. But I often ride beyond sunset, so the benefit of photochromic outweighs that. On a side note the Julbo Fury are absolutely rock steady on a Kask Protone in both worn and suspended positions, unlike Jawbreaker.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

andreas wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:21 am
While I certainly love and use my Julbo photochromic lenses a lot, I find the contrast better on my Prizm Road lenses. But I often ride beyond sunset, so the benefit of photochromic outweighs that. On a side note the Julbo Fury are absolutely rock steady on a Kask Protone in both worn and suspended positions, unlike Jawbreaker.
This makes a lot of sense - photochromic lenses probably need to give up some contrast when compared to ones with constant light transmission.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s