Shoes with less upward pointed toe

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RDY

by RDY

It's finally occurred to me that a shoe with a much flatter forefoot would likely bring an end to both my toe and metatarsal pain issues. They're by far the biggest limiting factor for me at the moment.

Any guidance on which brands to avoid and which to go for? Currently using Fizik, and unfortunately they have a lot of upward toe point.

Why is toe box upward tilt even a thing in cycling? It's usually to help the foot 'roll' more easily when walking or running. I can only see that it places more stress on the toes and forefoot in cycling - which is a big problem if your toes have limited flexibility (like mine).

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Try a metatarsal pad placed inside your shoe, in the correct position just behind the met bone heads it’ll relieve pressure

I’m a shoemaker so know a thing or two

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Zakalwe wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:07 pm
Try a metatarsal pad placed inside your shoe, in the correct position just behind the met bone heads it’ll relieve pressure

Any tips on fashioning a met pad oneself and getting it to stay in place on footbed?

RDY

by RDY

Zakalwe wrote:

Thanks. It helps to some degree. Metatarsal pads tends to be pretty minimal in orthotics, so I'm going to start using dancers' pads in addition.

But I think I need something with a flatter forefoot. Probably it's less than ideal that I wear tri shoes (which may be more curved in the forefoot) as they use velcro fastening which helps me avoid slack areas below and in front of the heel where my foot is very shallow.

Most likely I have Hallux Limitus (if not Rigidus) as a result of tons of raquet sports during childhood, and parent refusing to pay for supportive shoes. Walking large distances in adulthood without properly addressing it surely hasn't helped either.

velov

by velov

Bont Vaypor and Shimano RC9 have pretty minimal toe spring.

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

RDY wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:48 pm
Zakalwe wrote:

Thanks. It helps to some degree. Metatarsal pads tends to be pretty minimal in orthotics, so I'm going to start using dancers' pads in addition.

But I think I need something with a flatter forefoot. Probably it's less than ideal that I wear tri shoes (which may be more curved in the forefoot) as they use velcro fastening which helps me avoid slack areas below and in front of the heel where my foot is very shallow.

Most likely I have Hallux Limitus (if not Rigidus) as a result of tons of raquet sports during childhood, and parent refusing to pay for supportive shoes. Walking large distances in adulthood without properly addressing it surely hasn't helped either.
Giro Imperial and Prolight techlace seem to be pretty flat in the front. I also have a pair of Giro Cadets which I got as training shoes with a less stiff sole, because I liked the synchwire on the top end shoes. Those have a much bigger rise in the front for some reason.

I have tried Icebug insoles, and the metatarsal pad was too pronounced too work for me. Maybe those would work for you?
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

Roadbiker10 wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:34 pm
RDY wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:48 pm
Zakalwe wrote:

Giro Imperial and Prolight techlace seem to be pretty flat in the front. I also have a pair of Giro Cadets which I got as training shoes with a less stiff sole, because I liked the synchwire on the top end shoes. Those have a much bigger rise in the front for some reason.

I have tried Icebug insoles, and the metatarsal pad was too pronounced too work for me. Maybe those would work for you?
I use Icebug soles on my trail running shoes. for walking and general activity. For me the pad needs to be bigger. It felt weird at first, but was a big improvement. I've now supplemented it with dancers' pads to further flatten the toe bed and protect the metatarsal.

Now awaiting a pair of Bont Vaypor S, Shimano RC701 and XC702 to try. Getting my sizes wasn't easy. Also ordered some midfoot cleat adapters - they should help significantly in unload the toes. Additionally, the further back I can get my cleats the more I can lower my saddle, and reduce another fit problem I have - long legs and needing high stack. If I can drop my saddle 20mm or more, and sit further forward on the saddle more comfortably with a midfoot position, I ought to be able to drop quite a bit of stack.