Tubeless or tubes, some thoughts...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I've been riding tubeless mostly on my gravel. Tried it on my road bike aswell as tubes (dah!) and ofcourse old school tubular (perhaps no need to discuss this as tubulars are a bit more hassle to swap on a ride)

What made me mad when it came to tubeless was when sealant and plugs didn't work (yes, it's true).
Couldn't swap tires as i couldn't get the tire to seat with a Co2 cannister.
Sometimes sealant sealed, all fine.
When it came to tubes i found that Tufo Extreme worked everytime (sealed any hole in an instant). I never actually needed to swap tube.
Even before Tufo Extreme i could just swap tubes and ofocourse it worked every time.

I will give tubeless another try though!
But to be fair, i have never felt tubeless makes me faster, might be that many find a need for very low pressures!?

Anyone else been having more troubles with tubeless than using inner tube?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

Unless you're using Orange Seal (Regular) for sealant and Dynaplugs for plugs, then it's not worth discussing problems. Anything else just isn't as good and will only serve to frustrate. Best to also keep the pressure below 80 PSI or you lose a lot of air and sealant before they seal. Tyres should also stay seated on rims when fully deflated as trying to get a tyre to seat with a CO2 on the road can be tricky.

I haven't been getting so many punctures since I ran out of Corsa Speed tyres. With those a rear puncture was always just around the corner, but Orange Seal would would generally work with just a little loss of pressure, and when it didn't (most off tread punctures), a Dynaplug or two would get me going again without having to take the wheel or tyre off.

Most of my hassles with tubeless are at home, in the garage, rather than out on the road. Admittedly it can be trickly to get some tyres to inflate, but I know all the tricks and nothing defeats me. You do need a decent booster pump to seat some tires as using CO2 is just a waste.

In around 5 years of road tubeless (over 40k miles) I have only needed to fit a tube 4 times. The first couple of times, Dynaplugs would have worked if I had known about them. One other time was when I got two holes simultaneously and only noticed one to plug, and the last time was when a Corsa Speed picked up a huge sidewall cut that 3 Dynaplugs wouldn't fill.

Before tubeless I would get my fair share of punctures from riding UK lanes in winter and I used to have a massive pile of holed tubes that I was going to get around to fixing but never did. I'll take all the hassles going in the garage rather than stand about in the cold and wet getting mucky from taking off wheels and tyres to change a tube in winter. There's nothing more satisfying than hearing the hiss of a puncture for a few seconds and then silence as you continue your merry way!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I have had so many sealants so don't care to name them all. Sure, Orange does it's work. Dynaplugs i haven't had. I don't care for the booster, (i bought the first that came out) i bought a compressor instead and it's way better. Sure you can do some tricks to get the tires "seated", but it's still annoying. I've had way better luck with Corsa G2 than other tires i've tested. Now i actually fitted old Schwalbe S-One (30mm) on my road bike. Just ordered Pro One TLE (28mm). I'll try them with Tufos new sealant.
So far i admit i kind of prefer running tubes.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The current state of tubeless minus the push for hookless by some rim manufacturers is quite good. If you aren’t convinced now and don’t get many punctures, then just stick to tubes. No need to post yet another new “is road tubeless worth the trouble?” thread.

Yoln

by Yoln

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:34 pm
The current state of tubeless minus the push for hookless by some rim manufacturers is quite good. If you aren’t convinced now and don’t get many punctures, then just stick to tubes. No need to post yet another new “is road tubeless worth the trouble?” thread.
Agreed, too many useless threads about the same topic
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

dmbiscuit

by dmbiscuit

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:51 am
I've been riding tubeless mostly on my gravel. Tried it on my road bike aswell as tubes (dah!) and ofcourse old school tubular (perhaps no need to discuss this as tubulars are a bit more hassle to swap on a ride)

What made me mad when it came to tubeless was when sealant and plugs didn't work (yes, it's true).
When it came to tubes i found that Tufo Extreme worked everytime (sealed any hole in an instant). I never actually needed to swap tube.
Even before Tufo Extreme i could just swap tubes and ofocourse it worked every time.

But to be fair, i have never felt tubeless makes me faster, might be that many find a need for very low pressures!?

First I'm hearing about the Tufo Extreme and am intrigued. Is it for latex or butyl tubes, or both?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

dmbiscuit wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:21 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:51 am

First I'm hearing about the Tufo Extreme and am intrigued. Is it for latex or butyl tubes, or both?
I have used Extreme with tubulars, but mostly butyl inner tubes.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)