Sram Red22 Crank coming loose

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jenk

by jenk

Hi WW,

I have installed a sram red 22 (mech) crankset where the crank is connected on the drive side. When I install it I take care to torque it up to the 54nm that is specified and the last 2 times I have ridden I have noticed that by the time I get home the crank has become lose, so again i torque it up and try again, last time I figured I am either doing something wrong or there is an issue somewhere.

Has anyone experienced this issue? If so what do you do to fix this?
Also an expected fix may be some lock tight on the thread but id like to avoid that as it may not be the correct fix, or is it?

It is rather annoying knowing that potentially somewhere on my ride I may end up with a rhs crank in my hand and this is not so desirable to me.

Cheers all

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Gxp. Bb30. Pf30? Which one?

When you say loose is it side to side. Or ?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If it's GXP, it doesn't matter if you've torqued it all the way to 54n-m if there is play in the NDS bearing.

jenk

by jenk

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:36 am
If it's GXP, it doesn't matter if you've torqued it all the way to 54n-m if there is play in the NDS bearing.
I forgot to add its bb30, my gxp crank never had this issue with it, but good thing to look at again to double check

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jenk wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:35 am

I forgot to add its bb30, my gxp crank never had this issue with it, but good thing to look at again to double check
Really hard to imagine the bolt is backing out with the self-extracting cap in place. 54n-m is a shitload.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:50 am
jenk wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:35 am

Really hard to imagine the bolt is backing out with the self-extracting cap in place. 54n-m is a shitload.
Right. Is the bolt definitely coming loose or is it actually something to do with preload?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

The removal of sram cranks require a 2m long breaker bar to loosen them. So something else is wrong I think

jenk

by jenk

trust me I am baffled too, I use the breaker bar and a a digital torque adapter so i can confirm 54nm, the preload is set as far as i can see to be correct, I guess my only option now is to undo the preload, re torque, then set the preload and see if that works, not sure if that is the correct order but its worth a shot

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Is this original bb30 crank or long spindle one? I think long spindle one need extra spacers to fit bb30 frames

I would take it out remove the grease and take a look at the threads and splines. Sounds like it may be stripped.

Take a look and make sure the bearing is not moving sideways or loose.
Last edited by PoorCyclist on Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

what do you mean by loose, loose as in the bolt of is undone?

jenk

by jenk

PoorCyclist wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:49 pm
Is this original bb30 crank or long spindle one? I think long spindle one need extra spacers to fit bb30 frames

I would take it out remove the grease and take a look at the threads and splines. Sounds like it may be stripped.

Take a look and make sure the bearing is not moving sideways or loose.
All double checked, Thread is perfect mate, Infact it's a near brand new crank. But there was a little too much copper slip from the previous owner. I cleaned that one out and I'll test when it's dry outside. I think that's the issue

Thankyou

jenk

by jenk

ChiZ01 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:44 pm
what do you mean by loose, loose as in the bolt of is undone?
I'll go for a 20km ride and come home and the crank is wobbling on the spline. When I get home I can hand tighten it it's that loose.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com