Dura Ace RD-R9150 cage play problem?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DanielNorway

by DanielNorway

Hi

I have been having noise issues and Im suspecting its coming from the RD. Both creaking and sometimes it sounds like the RD is bad adjusted (it is not).

I did however notice som play between the cage/arm and RD, it is not a tight fit. Anyone know if this is normal? It would explain the issues Im having.

Not easy to catch on video, but I tried:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

That's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. If there's zero play then the cage wouldn't be able to move/pivot.

kode54

by kode54

I’ve seen a wonky R9150 RD on a friends bike. I swapped it with a spare RD I had and the noise and poor shifting went away.

We reset his RD (crash mode) and some noises went away but keeps coming back. I’ve never seen a bad R9150 before…and this may be my first.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

DanielNorway

by DanielNorway

Thanks for the replies. Did take it apart, cleaned and greased it, felt tighter/less loose afterwards, but that could also just be my wishful thinking.

MaxPower

by MaxPower

Perfectly normal. Same goes for ultegra (same design there). There are limits to the tightness in that joint, as free movement must be ensured to be able to shift.

Exessive play in that joint makes for bad shifting and noisy chain due to alignment issues. Tolerances are small.

Tried a ospw replacement ones, where the axle/screw joint were a tat off, regulating in something like 1/2mm of play in that joint. It was horrible.
Also tried a broken metal axle ones, resulting in a very tight joint. Shifting was also terrible compared to a normal component with the play you show

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanielNorway

by DanielNorway

DanielNorway wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:13 am
Did take it apart, cleaned and greased it, felt tighter/less loose afterwards, but that could also just be my wishful thinking.
Had no effect on noise.

Checked my DH which wasnt perfect, so bought a new one, but that had no effect either (did check alignment on new hanger which was good)

B-screw adjustment seems to have effect on noise, weirldy adjusting both ways seems to reduce noise, but that makes me afraid upper pulley gets too close/far away from biggest cassette cog. Im also suspecting that the noise will just "move" to different gears when adjusting b-screw. Its hard to tell, since the noice its hard to reproduce. Seems it appears at specials gears/watt/cadence combos.

Im suspecting that my cassette is worn, but will try some more, before I buy a new one. (did try another used cassette without any luck)