Shimano Pedals Creaking

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Treptay

by Treptay

darrydonds wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:52 pm
FIJIGabe wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:32 pm
Another simple solution would be to grease the threads of the pedal. I've had that happen to me (more ticking than creaking).
Incidentally, I have been hearing "ticking" on my new SPD pedals. I thought I didn't tighten them enough to the crank arms. So I did. But then, after a while it started happening again (only when apply more power, like on steep climbs). So, I removed them and greased the hell out of them. Hope that fixes it.
yes, mine do that too (PD-ES600)
I think you could fix it with adding a litle bit of bearing preload, still need to try it though

darrydonds

by darrydonds

Treptay wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:21 pm
darrydonds wrote:
FIJIGabe wrote:
Another simple solution would be to grease the threads of the pedal. I've had that happen to me (more ticking than creaking).
Incidentally, I have been hearing "ticking" on my new SPD pedals. I thought I didn't tighten them enough to the crank arms. So I did. But then, after a while it started happening again (only when apply more power, like on steep climbs). So, I removed them and greased the hell out of them. Hope that fixes it.
I think you could fix it with adding a litle bit of bearing preload, still need to try it though
PD-ES600 is what I have!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

charirider

by charirider

ipenguinking wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:51 pm
Yes I always clip out DS pedal before stopping. I just cleaned the pedal and applied some Speedplay pedal lube I have handy. It has been over a decade since I gave up Speedplay for Time RSX. Then I switched to SPD-SL mainly because I dislike those fast wearing and expensive Time cleats.
Same here, switched to Time iCLick from Shimano SPD, no creaking issues whatsoever! Also much easier to clip-in, more stable platform etc etc; the only downside is walking much more uncinvinient so much so I need to carry spare pair of light sandals for walking around
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

Treptay

by Treptay

darrydonds wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:33 pm
Treptay wrote:
darrydonds wrote:
FIJIGabe wrote:
PD-ES600 is what I have!
Did you manage to fix yours? I find that adding preload means that they won't spin freely, and cliping in is then a problem.

smokva

by smokva

Treptay wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:35 am
Did you manage to fix yours? I find that adding preload means that they won't spin freely, and cliping in is then a problem.
If you grease and adjust cone properly they'll spin freely, wont have any play and wont click.

darrydonds

by darrydonds

Treptay wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:35 am
darrydonds wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:33 pm
Treptay wrote:
darrydonds wrote:

PD-ES600 is what I have!
The extra grease does seem to do the trick (knock on wood) based on the last couple of rides. I didn't even thread the pedals to the crank arms as tight as before. What I also did a bit differently this time was wipe some grease off the threads on crank arms to remove any dirt or what not. Don't know if that made a difference.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If you hear ticks and creaks coming from the pedals, it's really your BB and not the pedals. Shimano pedals/cleats don't tick or creak. They are maintenance free, unlike many other clipless pedals.

Treptay

by Treptay

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:02 pm
If you hear ticks and creaks coming from the pedals, it's really your BB and not the pedals. Shimano pedals/cleats don't tick or creak. They are maintenance free, unlike many other clipless pedals.
Maintenance free? Not really sure about that, since they sell you a tool for some of the pedals, to open them. Regreasing should be done sometimes, but not that often. And I have another set of cheaper spd pedals that used to tick /more like clank, but it went away after sometime. My bottom bracket is fine, because it just happens with these one pedals now. Also, I find all the pedals have a little bit of play in the bearings out of the box, am I the only one?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

yeah maintain it every 5 years for Dura-Ace.
Maybe a lot more often on cheaper pedals.

smokva

by smokva

Treptay wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:34 am
Also, I find all the pedals have a little bit of play in the bearings out of the box, am I the only one?
It's normal that cones need to be tightened some time after greasing when the grease "settles" down. It always happenes to me with campagnolo cup and cone hubs, after few houndred km i need to tigthen cone for ~1/8 turn.

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

I installed new blue cleats on my regular Raphael shoes and did my regular interval drill yesterday. There was no creak nor grind. I can feel the shoe/pedal interface is really tight yet smooth. I'm glad that the problem is solved

darrydonds

by darrydonds

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:02 pm
I wish people just refrain from making blanket statement like this, based on very little information and context of the specific cases (not to mention the false assumption, i.e. "maintenance-free"). In my case, the ticking only started after I installed the new pedals. (I know a friend who also experienced SPD pedal ticking after a while and he fixed it by re-installing the pedals.)

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Yeah but the pedal itself won’t ever creak, its the metal on metal contact from the crank/pedal thread. Almost always down to no grease or dirty threads.