Trek / Bontrager RSL VR-C Recall

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Trek have recently announced a STOP SALE NOTICE for a range of handlebar/stem units from the Bontrager Aeolus RSL VR-C handlebar/stem. This is applicable for parts from the 2020, 2021 and 2022 model years.

Please note that the issue is surrounding the integrated handlebar and stem fitted on the bike.

In regard to the solution Trek will provide us with aluminium parts to rectify the solution as a stop gap until the correct parts are available in approx 2 months.

This will be carried out quickly and efficiently to ensure your riding remains as uninterrupted as possible, but there may be some downtime we are sorry to say. Our team will provide further instructions on how to proceed.

In the meantime, we ask that you stop using the handlebar as while the STOP SALE NOTICE is voluntary, we do want to ensure any part affected is checked over fully and parts replaced where needed.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

spartan

by spartan

you could have seen this coming. the bars were too light. another black eye for Trek. the new speed base concept bars on Speed Concept SLR 2022 have also been recalled. i checked the bars go for 900cad +tax in great north. wtf
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Damn. I literally just finished a build with these bars.... that and I no longer have my receipt for it. Will they still replace it?

Also, I haven't seen any mention of one breaking. What's the issue with the bar?

robertoguinn

by robertoguinn

dupe
Last edited by robertoguinn on Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
children trust me

robertoguinn

by robertoguinn

Anybody know why the recall? My Trek dealer said they'd order me a replacment as soon as they can, but they have no information at all. Nothing's listed on their recall page, and the bar page is still live.

Am I riding a time-bomb, or should I install a different set-up until I get the new bar/stem?
children trust me

boots2000

by boots2000

I used this opportunity to finally install a set of Vision ACR integrated bars (they make a specifc spacer for clean 100% internal cable routing). But the main reason was that I always wanted a shorter reach bar than the Bontrager.

mayfly118

by mayfly118

Got the email here in the UK - I can only imagine there is an issue with them failing, although no information providied other than saying an issue with the bars. I got my bike last July and did have one set fail within a month (crack while riding) which they replaced. I am guessing its a wider problem

Vjl

by Vjl

How and where did they fail?

MitchatTrek

by MitchatTrek

Hey all, just to provide clarity and to confirm the above, Trek is currently undergoing an investigation into the Aeolus RSL VR-C handlebar/stem here in the USA with the CPSC. We don't have complete details to share yet, but once we do, and a solution is in place that meets the CPSCs and our requirements, we will have an active recall. We would advise against riding these handlebars in the meantime.

Once available, full details for our recall will be shared on our website listed below:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/comp ... y_recalls/

Stay tuned for updates there and also lookout for contact from your retailer. We can't provide further detail about the bar/stem yet, but it is on the way soon.
Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

HansZuDemFranz

by HansZuDemFranz

MitchatTrek wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:09 pm
Hey all, just to provide clarity and to confirm the above, Trek is currently undergoing an investigation into the Aeolus RSL VR-C handlebar/stem here in the USA with the CPSC. We don't have complete details to share yet, but once we do, and a solution is in place that meets the CPSCs and our requirements, we will have an active recall. We would advise against riding these handlebars in the meantime.

Once available, full details for our recall will be shared on our website listed below:

Stay tuned for updates there and also lookout for contact from your retailer. We can't provide further detail about the bar/stem yet, but it is on the way soon.
Wouldnt it be in the best interest of your customers (who paid a lot of money for the bikes) if you told them everthing you know so far? There obviously is a reason, why Trek is doing a recall. So share all the information you already have collected. It seems like Trek is covering up for potential legal issues, until their marketing department has figured out, how they can "sell" this recall without looking too bad.

ezno

by ezno

HansZuDemFranz wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:25 pm
MitchatTrek wrote:

Wouldnt it be in the best interest of your customers (who paid a lot of money for the bikes) if you told them everthing you know so far? There obviously is a reason, why Trek is doing a recall. So share all the information you already have collected. It seems like Trek is covering up for potential legal issues, until their marketing department has figured out, how they can "sell" this recall without looking too bad.
I bought one from Trek Online directly, less than two months ago. Contacted Trek yesterday via "chat" Online and ask if there was "Stop Sell" or Recall. They responed there is a Stop Sell. I asked why, and if I should be worried using them being a tall and heavy rider that puts a fair amount of watts down during sprints. They told me they have had some of the bars fail, and to bring mine to a local trek shop to switch out to something else temporarily until review from CPSC.
I asked why Trek did they not contact me for my safety since I bought direct from them Online. They would not reply to this question!!! WTF

jas0nt

by jas0nt

ezno wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:48 pm
HansZuDemFranz wrote:
MitchatTrek wrote:

I bought one from Trek Online directly, less than two months ago. Contacted Trek yesterday via "chat" Online and ask if there was "Stop Sell" or Recall. They responed there is a Stop Sell. I asked why, and if I should be worried using them being a tall and heavy rider that puts a fair amount of watts down during sprints. They told me they have had some of the bars fail, and to bring mine to a local trek shop to switch out to something else temporarily until review from CPSC.
I asked why Trek did they not contact me for my safety since I bought direct from them Online. They would not reply to this question!!! WTF
With respect, how does knowing the answer help your current situation? You now know it might be unsafe to use the handlebars - so how you respond is up to you.

ezno

by ezno

jas0nt wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:02 am
ezno wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:48 pm
HansZuDemFranz wrote:
MitchatTrek wrote:

With respect, how does knowing the answer help your current situation? You now know it might be unsafe to use the handlebars - so how you respond is up to you.
jasOnt, what part do you not understand! Trek has still made no effort to contact me to inform me that a product I bought from them ONLINE could fail causing possible serious injury to myself or another rider behind me. Wait, I'm sorry, you work for TREK? Ha Ha, Rant over.

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Really bummed, but safety first. Hoping the local Trek shop can get me sorted quick. I hope they compensate for the fact that I'll have to get recabled and everything.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

If Trek won't sell the bars due to safety issues, they should issue a stop riding notice to owners until the investigation is complete. Anything otherwise seems like they're trying to cover up the issue