Trek / Bontrager RSL VR-C Recall

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Eggyeggs

by Eggyeggs

And I presume Trek has not released an official recall yet, right?
I'll double check with my LBS. Thanks for your help

bilwit

by bilwit

first time hearing of this while only checking this forum sparingly in the last few years, my trek dealer/lbs never sent anything to me

some users here seem to have experienced the issue https://forum.cyclingnews.com/threads/h ... rek.36934/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

Eggyeggs wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:06 pm
And I presume Trek has not released an official recall yet, right?
I'll double check with my LBS. Thanks for your help
We got a phonecall from Trek about this recall. Every bikeshop in Belgium and The Netherlands that sold a bike with those handlebars got a call.
We had a Australian customer who was racing here in Belgium and he got a phone call from his LBS back in Australia. I suppose every bikeshop (that sells Trek) knows.

Vjl

by Vjl

I already put Deda Alanera DCR bar on,not waiting for Trek.

dmbiscuit

by dmbiscuit

I contacted my local shop again and still no update. Surprised by the lack of info given the price of the bars.

spartan

by spartan

strange maybe trek has realized the effected batch is smaller than anticipated and now they are trying to determine how many to do a recall.

the new madone is also very late to ship. the new domane is also coming late in the season.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Eggyeggs

by Eggyeggs

I'll be chasing up my local shop tomorow. Still have yet to hear back from them.

Eggyeggs

by Eggyeggs

Quite update - my local trek dealership has said they are still waiting on production schedule of the replacement bars, expected in 2023.
Has anyone got their temporary alu bars for now?

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

I havent gotten the temp alu setup. Still using the VR-C and was hoping the replacement would be ready sooner than that

SCJKJ

by SCJKJ

My local shop called me as well, luckily I use an aftermarket handlebar that I had on my previous bike that fitted me better(hands go numb with other stem/handlebar combo's). Contacted the guy who bought mine though, he said 'well it probably won't fail, what are the chances'. He's probably right, but still...

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

How does such recall work if I don't have the receipt anymore?

pmprego

by pmprego

SCJKJ wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:51 pm
My local shop called me as well, luckily I use an aftermarket handlebar that I had on my previous bike that fitted me better(hands go numb with other stem/handlebar combo's). Contacted the guy who bought mine though, he said 'well it probably won't fail, what are the chances'. He's probably right, but still...
Love the reasoning. I'm glad bike speeds are not more than 10kmh... otherwise the consequences could be harsh. :thumbup:

SCJKJ

by SCJKJ

pmprego wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:53 pm
SCJKJ wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:51 pm
Love the reasoning. I'm glad bike speeds are not more than 10kmh... otherwise the consequences could be harsh. :thumbup:
Yeah I wouldn't be too keen either. But it's gotta be said that the failure rate will be low, too high to risk it as a company when you sell thousands of bikes, but still relatively low. I've seen a few of people riding their Trek's where I live with this handlebar on it. Either they don't know or they don't care.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

BigBoyND wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:43 pm
How does such recall work if I don't have the receipt anymore?
Doesn't matter.

robertoguinn

by robertoguinn

Trek's finally listed this on their recall page. Looks like it applies to 2 of their bars.

Speed Concept base bar & RSL handlebar/stem combo recall
children trust me

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com