Removing Fork with Hydraulic lines for Bike bag

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ipaul

by ipaul

Difficult to describe in the title but I am considering purchasing a frame that has brake and electronic wires running though headtube. Not through bars. Looking to see how if possible I can use my bike bag that requires me to remove fork. One thought is to intape and pull levers off to gain some slack where the fork can be pulled through. No idea if this is a good idea or not. Not worried about labor time. Looks like I'd gain more cable then fork height.
Another worse case is unhooking the lines but would be forced to do a reassembly and bleed. Considered a quick hydraulic link but doubtful size would be small enough to pull through openings. Is there something worth considering? Would a silicone cap be enough to stop leaking?
Thanks and I am aware a better bike would be the right answer but given I fly less than twice a year figured I weigh the options.
Thanks
:P

stevesbike

by stevesbike

I would just rent a bike bag from a local shop or get another one - even my Pika bag, which is one of the smallest, doesn't require me to remove the fork.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ipaul

by ipaul

Reason I prefer the smaller bag is not airline fees but packing in a smaller car. Typically travel with two packed bags and luggage so fitting in a car is difficult. It that is a consideration. Any recommendations?

RadB

by RadB

I was looking at a breakaway frame and had similar reservations. They seem intended for mechanical.

In motorsports the solution is called a brake line quick (dis)connect or similar. I haven't seen anything like that for bicycles. It's cool but not rocket science, and should be equally applicable. Challenge would be where do decouple it, and for me, I'd want a nice exposed brake line to make it straight forward.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220624-215102.png

ipaul

by ipaul

Yes been looking for something similar. Did come across this item https://tinyurl.com/mrwftfh9 but question is would it fit in the headtube or is there a spot that could accept it on the outside of the frame or fork?

RadB

by RadB

The couplers require positive engagement so need space to manipulate them with fingers, and they aren't slim so won't pull through cabling ports. So everything is concealed due to integration, then I think that prob answers the question. Please report back if you end up trying it.

ipaul

by ipaul

I have a question in to that company as they appear to have inline option. Given the frame is planned to run cables outside of bars and fed through a DCR style headset not sure I can splice either between bars or under headset. My head thinks it's possible but I guess I won't really know unless I try it. I'll follow up once I get there. Thanks.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

RadB wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:55 pm
I was looking at a breakaway frame and had similar reservations. They seem intended for mechanical.

In motorsports the solution is called a brake line quick (dis)connect or similar. I haven't seen anything like that for bicycles. It's cool but not rocket science, and should be equally applicable. Challenge would be where do decouple it, and for me, I'd want a nice exposed brake line to make it straight forward.
I think Kú uses these on their bikes, so it may be possible to source them

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com