Alpinist CLX sold as tubeless and a crash

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

Huskies91

by Huskies91

Just wondering if a bike shop can be held liable for selling a set of rovale clx (1st gen) wheels to someone that were built as tubeless and that person had a catastrophic blowout where tire unseated and caused a crash causing severe bodily injury. Bike shop owner recommended the wheels for his Athos build and never informed him that they were not tubeless ready wheels. Receipt even says tubeless build, Stan's notubes sealant, tubeless valve...etc. wheels were purchased June 2021. Any info would be helpful.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Someone spending that kind of $$$ should do their own research. It's widely know 1st gen is not tubeless. That being said they could probably win or settle out of court.
2019 BMC TM01R
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD
2020 Parlee TTiR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

Huskies91 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:40 am
Just wondering if a bike shop can be held liable for selling a set of rovale clx (1st gen) wheels to someone that were built as tubeless and that person had a catastrophic blowout where tire unseated and caused a crash causing severe bodily injury. Bike shop owner recommended the wheels for his Athos build and never informed him that they were not tubeless ready wheels. Receipt even says tubeless build, Stan's notubes sealant, tubeless valve...etc. wheels were purchased June 2021. Any info would be helpful.
In writing, you have a case. Otherwise, forget it.
'15 BMC TMR01 58cm, SRAM Force AXS, SRAM Red Aero 1x PM crankset, Bora WTO 45, Pzero TLRSL 24mm, Bontrager RSLVRC barstem, Romin Mirror, DA9100 Pedals: 7.1kg

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Are you in the US? I'd say, hell yes! The crash victim can go after the shop's insurance company. The insurance company will play games to test the plaintiff's resolve, but then settle. The receipt is the "smoking gun".

BUT, the devil is in the details. Did the shop instal the tires and hand the ready-to-ride wheels to the crash victim? Or did the crash victim set up the tires themselves? If the shop set up the wheels, they are dead.

Please keep us up to date on the progress of this.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Discodan

by Discodan

Whilst there may well be liability here, what caused the crash is interesting. The reason they were pulled from being tubeless wasn't that the tyres blew off, but that the entire rim side blew off (at least once anyway). I'm surprised the tyre blew off and wonder what else was going on. What tyres were they?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Sure sounds to me like the underbuilt rim bed compressed under high pressure, reducing the diameter of the rim.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

I vividly remembered someone here who frequently posts who "highly" recommends these to be run as tubeless as he had "plenty of sample sizes" that worked.

Goes to show never go full retard.

TLN

by TLN

If shop build bike in configuretion that will not be considered ok to sell from manufacturer due to safety reasons you have a good chances. Especially if you have it all documented on receipt.
I assume person have acces to good lawyer to discuss and take from there.

Wish em fast recovery from crash!
His: Specialiez S-Works Tarmac SL5 Disc.
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

ome rodriguez

by ome rodriguez

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:24 am
Sure sounds to me like the underbuilt rim bed compressed under high pressure, reducing the diameter of the rim.
Would it be the sane for the Rapide CLX I, higher depth rim?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

This seems like one of those trickle-down accountability situations. At the bottom of the pile is the mechanic or salesguy who rung up the customer who will end up "liable."

C36

by C36

Obviously, law will depend where you live but that could quite easily be considered as “gross negligence”: The tubeless non-compatibility is an official spec, very widely shared to the point that a professional “can’t reasonably ignore it” (even more if it’s an official dealer).

I take the opportunity to those pushing the envelop installing tires way pass the Etrto norm… it’s not because it works 99% of the times that it’s good enough.

Orlok

by Orlok

Huskies91 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:40 am
You must always be aware of the danger that a tire will blow-off the rim by a flat tire, so in my opinion you have no garantie in your case. Even tubeless tires on a tubeless ready rim can blow-off the rim when rim and tire are mounted not tight enough what always depends on the combinations of the two manufactures. That's why several pro-teams are using 'liners' into the tubeless tires to avoid they blow-off the rims. :|
Once comes a time that you'll have a tailwind :D
Pinarello F10 - Ultegra 8050 Di2 - Carbonspeed C38 Tubeless

RadB

by RadB

Should they have done it, not according to manufacturer.

Did that necessarily cause the blowout in this situation, beyond reasonable doubt, based on evidence available etc. who knows.

I'd tread carefully, the other side has deeper pockets and a lot more to lose. Might pay to play nice and retain the best legal advice they can afford.

frostorama

by frostorama

Given that the first gen Alpinist and Rapide wheels have stickers on them from the manuafacturer stating tubes only then I think you have a good chance of settling, sounds like the bike shop have ignored the well know advice and are liable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CasualRider

by CasualRider

I wonder under what circumstances this happened. I have both Alpinist and Rapide 1st get and run them tubeless. No issues whatsoever. I'm 72kg and ride at 55-60 psi 28mm Conti GP5000S TR.

Was it a blowout or wheel failure?
Tarmac SL7 Snake Eye
Crux Expert Forest green
Venge Bora Team - retired
Purple Venge - retired
Trek Madone SLR 7 retired