Looking for an ultralight rim-brake bike frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mcrae117

by mcrae117

As a fan of rim brake bikes and weight-weenie, it's clear to see that there will be no new product releases of rim brake frames and rim brake components.So I want to upgrade my bike to a what I call ‘Rim Brake Memorial Bike’.

So what do you guys’ suggestion on frame. Now I'm riding a 2015 Scott Addict SL, sub 1kg frame+fork.

My first thought was Cervelo RCA, but its very hard to find, and more expensive than its original price. Want to try Extralite SCR-058, but the stiffness is unknown. SuperSix, O2 VAM, Tarmac SL6, TCR SL are maybe a little bit heavy...

I think what I need is some kind of frame:
1. Still able to purchase (brand new or second hand)
2. As light as possible, but not sacrificing to much stiffness.
3. Better to be iconic and timeless.
Last edited by mcrae117 on Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Ytse

by Ytse

I think it would be helpful to know before making any suggestions, what bike(s) you ride now. What is the 'basis' of a future upgrade?
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mcrae117

by mcrae117

Ytse wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:36 am
I think it would be helpful to know before making any suggestions, what bike(s) you ride now. What is the 'basis' of a future upgrade?
Thanks! I edited my post to make it more clear

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I think you're out of luck now unless someone builds you something custom.

The SS Evo gen2 might be the best bet of what's out there.
AX Vial Evo Ultra was sub 1kg, but it is rare, has been beefed up at least twice (the 2nd revision was still under 1kg, the 3rd one... not sure anymore). But out of them all, it could still be bought new a while ago (edit: checked benobikes, the Vial Evo Ultra/Race pages are now empty).
Tarmac SL6 is a slighly heavier then the above two, still could be built into 5.5kg bike easily.

To sum it up in your case, likely you won't find anything "timeless bargain" compared to your Scott, unless you really hate how it rides (I had the SL for a while too, it was fine, but nothing worth really remembering)
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

naavt

by naavt

I'm really in love with my Yoeleo build. Frame was stripped from the original paint and cusotm repainted ending up at 795g.

The whole bike was weighted before my last weekend trip to Astúrias and tipped of at 6070g. But bear in mind that I've filled EACH my Veloflexes with 90 ml Orange seal, it has a 265 saddle on it, a electronic groupset and 46 deep 28 width wheels, so if you want you have plenty bits to shade off weight from this build.

Have gone through Angliru and Gamoniteiro in the same ride. A hell of a climber!!!

Ytse

by Ytse

naavt wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:31 am
I'm really in love with my Yoeleo build. Frame was stripped from the original paint and cusotm repainted ending up at 795g.

The whole bike was weighted before my last weekend trip to Astúrias and tipped of at 6070g. But bear in mind that I've filled EACH my Veloflexes with 90 ml Orange seal, it has a 265 saddle on it, a electronic groupset and 46 deep 28 width wheels, so if you want you have plenty bits to shade off weight from this build.

Have gone through Angliru and Gamoniteiro in the same ride. A hell of a climber!!!

Very nice bike. What wheels do you have on it?
2020 Scott Addict RC / 2021 Trek Emonda SLR / 2023 Specialized Tarmac SL8

naavt

by naavt

Ytse wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:42 am

Very nice bike. What wheels do you have on it?
They are build with Light Bicycle AR46 super light rims, Extralight SP hubs, Alpina Hyperlite aero spokes and Pillar lightweight internal nipples.

mcrae117

by mcrae117

mrlobber wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:14 am

AX Vial Evo Ultra was sub 1kg, but it is rare, has been beefed up at least twice (the 2nd revision was still under 1kg, the 3rd one... not sure anymore). But out of them all, it could still be bought new a while ago (edit: checked benobikes, the Vial Evo Ultra/Race pages are now empty).
Tarmac SL6 is a slighly heavier then the above two, still could be built into 5.5kg bike easily.

To sum it up in your case, likely you won't find anything "timeless bargain" compared to your Scott, unless you really hate how it rides (I had the SL for a while too, it was fine, but nothing worth really remembering)
Exactly. The Scott is light and nice to ride, the only problem is nothing worth remenbering like you said. And all custom builds are just too heavy, I see no custom frame under 700g.

mcrae117

by mcrae117

naavt wrote:

Nice! I like the naked carbon texture with blue paint!

basilic

by basilic

mcrae117 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:57 pm
I see no custom frame under 700g.
I think Extralite cam be ordered as a custom. And Berk.

Aress

by Aress

mcrae117 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:57 pm
mrlobber wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:14 am

Exactly. The Scott is light and nice to ride, the only problem is nothing worth remenbering like you said. And all custom builds are just too heavy, I see no custom frame under 700g.
Fetska scalatore 750g ?

bobones

by bobones

I doubt there's anything available now that's lighter than your Addict or as light as an RCA.

I had a similar quest at the turn of the year: perhaps with low weight not the ultimate goal, and pulled the trigger on an Arc8 Escapee, O2 VAM and Focus Izalco Max, all of which fell through for one reason or another. I also considered the Time Alpe D'Huez 01 and Look Huez RS, but I ended up somewhat fortuitously with a 2021 TCR Advanced SL frameset with 1/3 off the RRP. I suspect the TCR Advanced SL is the best performing rim brake frame still available in terms of ride quality and stiffness, but probably not as light as you want.

naavt

by naavt

mcrae117 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:01 pm
naavt wrote:

Nice! I like the naked carbon texture with blue paint!
It's a very nice touch. At some angles you see an "all blue" bike, at other you see a grey - raw carbon - one 8)

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

bobones wrote:I doubt there's anything available now that's lighter than your Addict or as light as an RCA.
At this point of time, it's probably more about what you can manage to find because frames like the RCA can only be found occasionally on eBay etc. Anything lighter than the Addict is limited to the RCA, the Extralite or a custom Berk, so there you go.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mcrae117

by mcrae117

Kayrehn wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:06 pm
bobones wrote:I doubt there's anything available now that's lighter than your Addict or as light as an RCA.
At this point of time, it's probably more about what you can manage to find because frames like the RCA can only be found occasionally on eBay etc. Anything lighter than the Addict is limited to the RCA, the Extralite or a custom Berk, so there you go.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Looks like the Extralite SCR 058 would be the only possible choice, but there is no detailed information on how the frame rides. For me, if Specialized made a 580g frame like the aethos, then it is fine to purchase even without a test ride report. But for an Extralite frame, it's completely different.