3D Printed Saddles - future or fad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jadedaid
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:43 pm

by jadedaid

torger wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:07 pm
I think it could be worth mentioning the Posedla 3D-printed saddle here
The posedla one is very interesting, and with the 'somewhat custom' approach they are taking they might be onto something. Their idea is sound and they have a big name behind them in the 3d printing department in the form of Prusa. I saw one in person and the finishing quality is below what you'd get with the Fizik or the Specialized at the same price point, which is what pushed me away. The S-works Power Mirror looks phenomenally high end in person.

MilesG813
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu May 19, 2022 7:17 pm

by MilesG813

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:57 pm
Anybody have experience with the Fizik Antares 3D saddle? I can get a pretty good deal on it but it's still on the more expensive side.
I have been using one for a little over a year and have found it to be very satisfactory. It has a large enough cutout so that there is no numbness or pain. The cushioning is the right level of firmness in the right areas so that it's comfortable but also still provides support after hours in the saddle. Mine has been very durable (no signs of wear) and does not cause any damage to my bibs. It is very easy to clean (just hose it down). Saddles are extremely personal so the best I can say is it works for me.
2022 Specialized S-Works SL7 I Ultegra R8170 I Princeton Carbonworks 6560
2012 Cannondale CAAD 10 I 105 R5700 I Zipp 404s

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



wannabefast
Posts: 78
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:50 pm

by wannabefast

I've just started using the Fizik Argo Vento 3D, and so far I am not blown away. It's fine, but far from saddle nirvana. It's not even as good for me as the Specialized Power or Pro Stealth that I have been using. Although I will give it more time and fiddle with it a bit more before rendering a final judgement.

TLN
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:50 pm

by TLN

I was measured twice in two different spesh stores, one said i need 143, another said I need 155. Power Mirror 155 caused a pretty bad rash on my inner thigh. Tried Selle italia SLR with TM rails, and got myself Carbon version. Only a few rides, but pretty comfortable so far.
Interested in trying Selle Italia SLR 3D or different spesh mirror (Phenom mirror?)
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

sehyang82
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:34 pm

by sehyang82

TLN wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:03 pm
I was measured twice in two different spesh stores, one said i need 143, another said I need 155. Power Mirror 155 caused a pretty bad rash on my inner thigh. Tried Selle italia SLR with TM rails, and got myself Carbon version. Only a few rides, but pretty comfortable so far.
Interested in trying Selle Italia SLR 3D or different spesh mirror (Phenom mirror?)
Curious to try Selle Italia SLR 3D as well (or San Marco Allroad 3D) anyone bought one and wanna share the experiences?

crazychaz
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:40 am

by crazychaz

sehyang82 wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:28 am
TLN wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:03 pm
I was measured twice in two different spesh stores, one said i need 143, another said I need 155. Power Mirror 155 caused a pretty bad rash on my inner thigh. Tried Selle italia SLR with TM rails, and got myself Carbon version. Only a few rides, but pretty comfortable so far.
Interested in trying Selle Italia SLR 3D or different spesh mirror (Phenom mirror?)
Curious to try Selle Italia SLR 3D as well (or San Marco Allroad 3D) anyone bought one and wanna share the experiences?
I'm running one, was previously on a Power Mirror. 3D print lattice on the SLR 3D is way firmer than on the S-works. The shape is more agreeable to me though so still manages to be quite comfortable, it takes away road buzz in a similar fashion

LanceLegstrong
Posts: 1145
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:35 pm

by LanceLegstrong

Can anybody with the Romin Mirror measure the width? I have two different 143 Power Mirrors (S-Works and Pro) and they both measure 149mm. Do the Romins run narrower?
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

BdaGhisallo
Posts: 3236
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:38 pm

by BdaGhisallo

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:10 pm
Can anybody with the Romin Mirror measure the width? I have two different 143 Power Mirrors (S-Works and Pro) and they both measure 149mm. Do the Romins run narrower?
I just measured a 155 Romin Mirror I have on hand and the shell measures about 156mm at its widest.

I find the Romin Mirror's useable width much lower though due to its curvature side to side. I can comfortably ride a normal Power in 155 but I find the 155 Romin Mirror much too narrow for my sit bones.

LanceLegstrong
Posts: 1145
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:35 pm

by LanceLegstrong

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:18 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:10 pm
Can anybody with the Romin Mirror measure the width? I have two different 143 Power Mirrors (S-Works and Pro) and they both measure 149mm. Do the Romins run narrower?
I just measured a 155 Romin Mirror I have on hand and the shell measures about 156mm at its widest.

I find the Romin Mirror's useable width much lower though due to its curvature side to side. I can comfortably ride a normal Power in 155 but I find the 155 Romin Mirror much too narrow for my sit bones.
Everything you said is what I want actually. The Power is too wide for me. And based on your measuring, the 143 Romin should be a good 5-6mm narrower than my current Power.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

BdaGhisallo
Posts: 3236
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:38 pm

by BdaGhisallo

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:38 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:18 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:10 pm
Can anybody with the Romin Mirror measure the width? I have two different 143 Power Mirrors (S-Works and Pro) and they both measure 149mm. Do the Romins run narrower?
I just measured a 155 Romin Mirror I have on hand and the shell measures about 156mm at its widest.

I find the Romin Mirror's useable width much lower though due to its curvature side to side. I can comfortably ride a normal Power in 155 but I find the 155 Romin Mirror much too narrow for my sit bones.
Everything you said is what I want actually. The Power is too wide for me. And based on your measuring, the 143 Romin should be a good 5-6mm narrower than my current Power.
The 155 Power Mirror I have here also measures 156mm at its widest, measuring the same as I did with the Romin Mirror.

LanceLegstrong
Posts: 1145
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:35 pm

by LanceLegstrong

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:47 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:38 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:18 pm
LanceLegstrong wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:10 pm
Can anybody with the Romin Mirror measure the width? I have two different 143 Power Mirrors (S-Works and Pro) and they both measure 149mm. Do the Romins run narrower?
I just measured a 155 Romin Mirror I have on hand and the shell measures about 156mm at its widest.

I find the Romin Mirror's useable width much lower though due to its curvature side to side. I can comfortably ride a normal Power in 155 but I find the 155 Romin Mirror much too narrow for my sit bones.
Everything you said is what I want actually. The Power is too wide for me. And based on your measuring, the 143 Romin should be a good 5-6mm narrower than my current Power.
The 155 Power Mirror I have here also measures 156mm at its widest, measuring the same as I did with the Romin Mirror.
Weird. Well I guess the only option is take my calipers into the shop. I may get some strange looks but who cares.

Or go with the 139mm Fizik.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

mrbrown4001
Posts: 260
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:42 am

by mrbrown4001

Has anyone here tried the aloe press 3d printed saddles. I can’t even tell if the pads are actually 3d printed or not


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AC0
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:33 am

by AC0

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:54 pm
Has anyone here tried the aloe press 3d printed saddles. I can’t even tell if the pads are actually 3d printed or not
I decided to try one and got this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004177348865.html. Yes, it would seem to be 3d printed. Don't see any other way to produce the lattice structure.

Here are my impressions:

Quality is good. It is made by Cosy Saddles (https://www.cosysaddle.com) and is their model ZOUWU1.0A-01. Nylon shell and Cr-Mo rails. 264g.

They have other (newer?) models with a modified top which doesn't expose the 3d lattice as much. They also have options for carbon shell and carbon rails.

The padding has much more give than foam (when you press with a finger) but when you sit on it it doesn't feel soft and you don't bounce. The sitbones push in and relieve pressure but otherwise support at the rear is good and much firmer feeling than I expected given the softness of the padding.

I didn't notice a big (or any difference) in softness between the different parts of the saddle. If anything the front, which is claimed to be the softest, is the firmest, mostly because the padding in this area is the thinest. The middle of the saddle has quite a bit of give due to the construction (large cutout) and flex of the shell and it's difficult to seperate this from the the padding. That said when I have used a cutout before I found the firmness of the edges to be problematic and I don't feel that with this saddle. The transition at the edge of the cutout is seamless and barely noticeable.

I have not done any long rides yet so can't comment on how it feels after 3-4 hrs. For short rides it has been comfortable. In the end, the saddle shape has to work for you but the 3d padding does seem to be an improvement over foam, it gives where it needs to without being overly soft. It isn't a gimmick.

octav
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:40 pm
Location: Bucharest

by octav

Did anyone try SLR 3D vs Fizik Argo vs Romin ( or 3d printed saddles)?
Just thinking of jumping on the board to try a 3d saddle and don't know what to choose at the moment.

twoangstroms
Posts: 461
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:49 am

by twoangstroms

Anyone else getting this kind of softening and wrinkling (Specialized Mirror Pro)? Sending it back for a warranty replacement, which I do appreciate, but still, not having a saddle for a week... .
Specialized Mirror Pro.png

by Weenie


Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com



Post Reply