3D Printed Saddles - future or fad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

JeffK wrote:I've tried my fair share of saddles, including the Specialized 3D printed saddles. Ive never really found a "perfect" saddle, but I think that might have changed. I recently got a Reform saddle which is heat moldable which helps it form fit exatly to your sit bones to eliminate pressure points. I tried the saddle on my gravel bike for a few longer rides initally and it was one of the best saddles I have tried without even doing the molding process. I still had one pressure point on my left sit bone, which is common for me, but it was very manageable. I did the heat molding process on the trainer and the last few rides on the saddle have been perfect! This might just be the perfect saddle finally! Check them out:

https://www.reformsaddle.com/product/se ... ke-saddle/
Sounds great. On all my bikes, I’m willing to try this out on my gravel rig. I have a Fizik adaptive on now and still is less than ideal.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

romanmoser

by romanmoser

3d printed ( will have to get lighter, and cheaper )
and thermoformable like reform are definetely the futur
gonna try the power mirror s works soon, bought one nearly new for 290 euros instead of 450e more or less price. Still expensive as *f##k*

The fizik antares 3d printed , is a piece of junk to me. Too much plastickn and junction between the 3D printed and shell is bad for me , you don't get the same benefits as others 3d printed saddles tops. The short nose fizik seems much better designed.

Excited to see sanmarco/selleitalia coming into the game and probably cheaper

And I said that as an ex weight weenie ( having ridden a few naked carbon , non flexible ones fake spe toupé, ism pn 3.0 carbon, flexible one like berk lupina padded). And still riding many short nose ( by opposition to noseless saddles aka ISM) specialized power s works, power mimic s works, and pro stealth carbon first version flat.

I mean gelu, gardena alptitude and a few others are very light
but at what point except for short rides ?
even with good pads my roads are trashed, even with great tires and latex innertubes and tubeless

3d printed or formed to your sitbones can allow better pressure distribution and less issues down there

the 50 to 100gr be damned ( lightest saddle short nose are what 80 90gr ? compared to 188gr power mirror s works )
yeah i know ww ...

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

I tried a couple of printed saddles and thought they were crap, worse than the regular versions and an absolute joke for the money.
I think the only way the technology and price can be justifiable if a custom ass map and individual 3D print. Adidas wanted to do this with the 4d sneaker technology, but realised it's too heavy and doesn't have the same shock absorbing qualities of their regular foams.

Their plan was for the customer to visit a store and have their feet scanned while static and while running. The software would then map the lattice to their individual support needs.
The midsole would then be individually printed and a shoe made to a bespoke spec.

This is the way this technology should be implements, and I can't see what specialized dont have this ass mapper in their shops to enable off site printing and shipping to a customer.

romanmoser

by romanmoser

Because it would cost them much more ?
Than the serial production model ?
Thus if they wanted to sell them at the same margin rate as used to, it would be even more expensive ?

For all I know 3d printind, or additive manufacturing doesn't lead to economies of scale.
But they only had to do the job once for the serial model...
Maybe they'll got that far soon or already for some pros ( remco etc ) if needed.
But don't expect it to be for normal paying customers anytime soon imho.

I agree that 3d printed look a bit cheap now
Heavier than regular foam/gel carbon rails saddles for more monney
But I think it's worth it for a few of my bikes.

There are independent reviews showing that the more homogenized pressure distribution is not a lie by specialized marketing dpmnt
https://www.cyclesetforme.fr/test-selle ... vo-mirror/

I saw on my insta feed a broken power mirror from a customer
Who I have no reasons not to believe that was broken by sitting on it at a red light
Not heavy, no fall etc, it was reimbursed by specialized.
Maybe just overtightened, lack of luck and one faulty product ... :|

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

There is absolutely no reason for these saddles cost this much. I'd expect the custom service to be for the same price or less.

It's a wasted opportunity to offer a truly custom, and potentially a hugely improved level of comfort/ performance increasing market disrupting product.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

romanmoser wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:07 pm

I mean gelu, gardena alptitude and a few others are very light
but at what point except for short rides ?
even with good pads my roads are trashed, even with great tires and latex innertubes and tubeless
5h is still fine even on those saddles, as long as the shape is the right one FOR you.
Likely, though, 95% of all riders haven't yet found the ideal shape... myself including :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

wltz

by wltz

mrlobber wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:32 am

Likely, though, 95% of all riders haven't yet found the ideal shape...
Or have their saddle too high / too far back :D
This is not sniped at you or anyone in particular, just a general observation. I have an acute eye for imbalanced interactions with the bike riding with other people. Sometimes people just fit their cleats haplessly, but often it's their saddle height.

Great vid on the subject: https://youtu.be/dEYTsYS9lsU

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Fizik have a review from one owner, the printing layer has been damaged from friction. The dude was denied warranty since his saddle wasn't purchased directly from fizik.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:54 pm
Fizik have a review from one owner, the printing layer has been damaged from friction. The dude was denied warranty since his saddle wasn't purchased directly from fizik.
Dude could not have been from europe then 😄

romanmoser

by romanmoser

didn't get the joke if there was one

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Eterna7m wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:06 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:54 pm
Dude could not have been from europe then 😄
He could have bought it from one of many of dealers
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wilwil

by wilwil

I think they are used by road pros. I'm sure I saw one on Remco Evanapol 's bike. Excuse the spelling.

justonwo

by justonwo

I like my Antares 3-D printed saddle. Is it god's gift to saddles? Probably not much more than a competitor top end model. However, I do think you'll see more and more of these 3D printed saddles. The materials and technology will only get better. And I assume the endgame is to custom print saddles that are rider-specific.
2020 F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic
2024 Topstone Lab71 (Force/XX1, Terra CLX II)

Retired: 2014 and 2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

carbocation

by carbocation

There's a ton of bias, but the reviews I've seen are all favorable. Everyone I know with one loves it, but again there's a ton of bias inherent in someone forking out a huge wad of cash for a saddle.

I actually think it's more comfortable (to me) than a foam saddle because it's so much grippier. If you look at surfaces designed for maximal grip, lots of holes makes for a lot more grip (Ganna's handlebars are a modern example). So you find the right spot (for you) on the saddle and when you sit on it, you don't move at all, which decreases friction and keeps you in the most comfortable portion of the saddle.

I'm also biased because I ride a power mirror and I upgraded from another power saddle because the shape fits me well. It is so much more comfortable that i bought one for my trainer bike too, which I think is an obscene expense for a trainer bike. They really are just that good (for me, at least).

Aeo

by Aeo

Another Aliexpress 3D printed saddle: https://aliexpress.com/item/1005004177348865.html

Selle San Marco and Selle Italia are now selling their 3D printed saddles:
https://sellesanmarco.com/saddles/?_bc_ ... 3D+Printed
https://www.selleitalia.com/saddles/road/3d-printed/
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com