Speedplay or time

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pegotico

by pegotico

Hi everyone!

So because of a knee injury, i wasnt using clipless pedals. I was looking at the speedplay wahoo (comp or zero) and the time Xpro 10. So i started reading reviews on the new wahoo pedals and by the looks of it, they seem to be having serious QC issues (side to side movement) which for the sweet price one is paying shouldnt be. One guy had the issue with 3 pedals in a 4 month or so interval IIRC ( 2 comps and 1 zero.). At least he said they had a good CS. There is even a topic here with similar issue.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=166216&hilit=speedplay

So i was thinking maybe i can get one of the older non wahoo pedals in new condition. The new wahoo cleats are only compatible with the Zero and Ultra-light action so if eventually i decide on speedplay it should be one of this 2 as prices for older cleats are ridiculous.

Between the zero or ultra light action which one is the best option and why?

Between time and speedplay which is the best option? Advantages and disadvantages of each?

Also while searching i found there is two light action models. Just out of curiosity what is the difference between light action and ulra light action? If the cleat is compatible with the ULA, will it work with the LA?

Thanks for taking the time to read this! :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Between SP and Time, I would defintely opt for Time. They're a lot simpler mechanically than SP and you won't have to do any fussing with the cleat setup.

If you're open to other options, take a look at Keywin pedals. A great pedal and dead simple with next to no maintenance needs. The pedals and cleats last a very, very long time.

pegotico

by pegotico

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:39 pm
Between SP and Time, I would defintely opt for Time. They're a lot simpler mechanically than SP and you won't have to do any fussing with the cleat setup.

If you're open to other options, take a look at Keywin pedals. A great pedal and dead simple with next to no maintenance needs. The pedals and cleats last a very, very long time.
Thats a new one for me "keywin pedal". I'll definitely check it out!! Thanks!!!

stevesbike

by stevesbike

it depends on how much adjustability you need to deal with your knee issues. I'd suggest you start with a good fitter to get some assessment done. Q-factor, foot rotation (heel in, neutral, out) etc. and then go from there. Time have very limited adjustability - there are 2 Q-factor options and no way to adjust the amount of float. The main advantage of Speedplay is adjustability - if you get a pair of pre-Wahoo pedals, you can easily and relatively cheaply get a ton of spindle length options (ebay etc) and you can adjust the float to dial in the rotation you want. I'd add though that float is not always needed and that less float like a shimano yellow cleat often works well and provides a more stable foot feel. This is also something a good fitter can assess. But bottom line if you have knee issues find a good qualified fitter to get a proper setup.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

pegotico wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:46 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:

Have a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=90491&hilit=keywin+crm

And this: https://www.keywin.com//shop.php?ln=Ped ... ID=4030580

milanv

by milanv

Speedplay forever!
I had the same knee injury and can ride after that with Speedplays without problems.

cloud9blue

by cloud9blue

Speedplay if you need the adjustability for your knee injury. The quality control of the new speedplay pedals seem to be limited to the stainless steel version of it. If you get the other ones, you should be fine.

I have speedplay on all my road bikes. the new stainless one did suffer from the sideplay issue you mentioned. but after replacement from wahoo, it seems to be fine. i recently changed the spindle to longer aftermarket Ti spindle to widen the q factor a bit. seems to work fine as well after a few long rides. no side to side play yet.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

+1 for Speedplay if you have knee issues.
Just ride ..

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Speedplay from me

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

pegotico

by pegotico

stevesbike wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:54 pm
it depends on how much adjustability you need to deal with your knee issues. I'd suggest you start with a good fitter to get some assessment done. Q-factor, foot rotation (heel in, neutral, out) etc. and then go from there. Time have very limited adjustability - there are 2 Q-factor options and no way to adjust the amount of float. The main advantage of Speedplay is adjustability - if you get a pair of pre-Wahoo pedals, you can easily and relatively cheaply get a ton of spindle length options (ebay etc) and you can adjust the float to dial in the rotation you want. I'd add though that float is not always needed and that less float like a shimano yellow cleat often works well and provides a more stable foot feel. This is also something a good fitter can assess. But bottom line if you have knee issues find a good qualified fitter to get a proper setup.
I will try and do that, thanks! One question, because Ive never had a clipless pedal with open floar like speedplay (only mtb shimano and look pedal). So would it feel unstable when going up hills because of the amount of float and i supposed it doesnt do any force back?

pegotico

by pegotico

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:04 pm
pegotico wrote:
BdaGhisallo wrote:

I will take a look at the review. Something i dislike is the lack of availability in the US...Thanks again!

pegotico

by pegotico

cloud9blue wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:38 pm
Speedplay if you need the adjustability for your knee injury. The quality control of the new speedplay pedals seem to be limited to the stainless steel version of it. If you get the other ones, you should be fine.

I have speedplay on all my road bikes. the new stainless one did suffer from the sideplay issue you mentioned. but after replacement from wahoo, it seems to be fine. i recently changed the spindle to longer aftermarket Ti spindle to widen the q factor a bit. seems to work fine as well after a few long rides. no side to side play yet.
Thanks! If i decide on soeedplay I think older models will be my choice. The newer wahoo model definitely looks nicer and cleaner, but In the end i think being able to grease the pedal ( not being maintenance free) should definitely make it last longer but i could be wrong. Competitive cyclist has the old zero pedal for 150 bucks so that's another option for me. The guy with the issue bought the comp version from competitive cyclist and there is the review. But maybe its just a specofic batch, who knows....

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

pegotico wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:57 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:04 pm
pegotico wrote:
BdaGhisallo wrote:

I will take a look at the review. Something i dislike is the lack of availability in the US...Thanks again!
They are available in the US. Qarv Imports are the US distibutors and they carry the pedals and all the replacement parts.

stevesbike

by stevesbike

pegotico wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:49 pm
stevesbike wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:54 pm
I will try and do that, thanks! One question, because Ive never had a clipless pedal with open floar like speedplay (only mtb shimano and look pedal). So would it feel unstable when going up hills because of the amount of float and i supposed it doesnt do any force back?
Speedplay lets you adjust the float - there are limiter screws for heel in and heel out rotation so you may find you prefer only a smallish float angle. With both Speedplay and Time it takes a few rides to get used to the float but after that it feels natural.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

If you look at system weight Time is one of the lightest options there is, where as Speedplay is heavier than dura ace (pedals and cleats)
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com