Speedplay or time

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

satanas

by satanas

calicyclist wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:23 am
satanas wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:17 am
Since Wahoo stabbed previous Speedplay users in the back I refuse to have anything to do with them. As well as refusing to make cleats for three Speedplay pedal systems (all of which I have), they've also stopped production of many of the bikefitting parts. I hate Wahoo.
Is there something preventing you using old pedals with newer cleats or the other way around? I have multiple bikes all with Speedplay including my wife's bikes and we've never had any compatibility issues over the years. Going all the way back from 2008-2022.
So, the various current Wahoo cleats will work with the older Zero and Light Action pedals, but that's it. However, I have the X-series pedals and theres no support for those, unless perhaps one of the Chinese clone cleats might fit. As well as those, Speedplay made two sets of pedals whose cleats were compatible with the SPD hole pattern, the Frog and Syzr; I have multiple pairs of each, and again there's no support from Wahoo, so once the cleats I have are gone they're useless.

There was zero communication from Wahoo for many months after the takeover about what might happen. This didn't help, and nor did their claim they would make another batch of Frog cleats - which never eventuated. The first "news" after the change of ownership was the cancellation of all existing wholesale orders without any prior warning, leaving the local importer, shops and customers in the lurch. None of us were impressed.

I hope that Wahoo suffer as much pain as possible, which they should, given karma...

As for Time, I had the original TBT cleats and shoes, and these were good (biomechanically) except for the sprung recentring. However, the bearings developed play fairly quickly, and cleat wear was also a problem. Their importer here in Australia were complete arseholes and effectively killed the product stone dead here as nobody was prepared to deal with them; they've never recovered here, even ~30 years later.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wilwil

by wilwil

Nickldn wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:30 pm
Wahoo are in financial trouble.

Not much prospect of an improvement in their pedal manufacturing process, while they have more urgent issues to deal with.
Might not be a good time to buy their power pedals then. I wonder what will happen.
Ive been using Garmin vector pedals with Look cleats for a few years and before that Speedplay. Ive had right medial knee pain for easily a year so I thought Id try going back to my old Speedplays as nothing else has worked. In one ride the pain had nearly gone. I also wore different shoes (Giro with laces) as they had the cleats on them. If I have the same result on the next few rides Im switching back to Speedplay, power meter or no power meter.

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

PeanutButterCups wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:37 am

I used Speedplay for many years and then went back to TIME and couldn't believe the relief I felt, no hot spots anymore and no rocking as the cleats wear.
As someone who used to wear out the plastic pedal bodies on the original speedplays pretty much immediately, I will say that this is something wahoo nailed. Their simple redesign eliminates the lateral rocking issue. Unfortunately I've lost track of how many pedals I've had to send back now because of the pedal body movement on the axle. If they can get that fixed, then I do think its a better pedal than the original for those of us who had the lateral cleat play/pedal body wear issue.

gaspard123

by gaspard123

I love the Time system, although I am trying again this year to transition to Shimano (and have been every year or two, more on that later). pros/cons:
pro: the most natural float out there. If you feel the centering spring it means you still have to adjust the cleat's rotation or Q or both. If you need more float than Time (when properly adjusted), obviously SP but I think someone in need of that much float might have other biomechanical things going on. OTOH it is true that it can be tricky to get the stance (Q) right with Time because there is virtually no ability to move the cleat laterally--but the cleat itself will float laterally, which helps alot, as your foot just kind of finds that spot; not an option for SP. SP can be adjusted in every plane, which is great but also tedious and I know that I for one have a tendency to over-adjust the cleat without just taking time to get used to it. With SP you can just open up the float and leave it. The fact that it is tricky to get the Q right on Time is part of why some people will bump into the spring tension.
I have never had an issue with the bearings or bodies cracking.
cons: Time had a reputation for fast-wearing cleats in early i-clic designs--it wasn't horrible if you were careful, but it is something they addressed and now wear better. Unfortunately I think that means the bodies are wearing faster and they can develop a decent amount of slop and even early (unintended) release if that wear is ignored. myxpresso's stopped staying in the "clicked open" position (waiting for your cleat to snap on) and even with new cleats are a little loose and sloppy so on the rain bike. In that they lose the robustness contest against Shimano but not necessarily SP. I did see that SRAM was making an effort to get replacement parts for the gate hardware which would be great. But if you are hard on gear, grinder or high mileage type, etc, just be prepared to replace the pedal every 3-5 years or replace the worn areas (the cheaper models seem to have same guts that could be harvested for pricier ones). That's why I am back to trying the Dura Ace I bought a few years ago. My knees are not liking it but I am doing easy winter miles and giving it a real attempt this year, so we will see (usually give up after a week). If it fails this time, it will be my last try and I will sell the DA and happily accept that I am Time for life or until they stop selling them or make a new and improved model that sucks. they used to be heavy and expensive; now they are light and cheap-er. This is WW where a trade-off in longevity for grams is often there, and I don't think it is that bad of a compromise. But Shimano's take longer to kill for sure and have the best stock bearings in the business. Will be interesting to see how the new SP bearing design of sealed vs grease port will fare.
for those of you who struggle to stop feeling the centering at any angle on Time, I encourage you to swap Q sides and/or just keep fiddling until the lateral float window is right. what feels right at the end of a ride may be different than at start and it can take some time to nail down.

nickf

by nickf

satanas wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:19 pm
calicyclist wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:23 am
satanas wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:17 am
Since Wahoo stabbed previous Speedplay users in the back I refuse to have anything to do with them. As well as refusing to make cleats for three Speedplay pedal systems (all of which I have), they've also stopped production of many of the bikefitting parts. I hate Wahoo.
Is there something preventing you using old pedals with newer cleats or the other way around? I have multiple bikes all with Speedplay including my wife's bikes and we've never had any compatibility issues over the years. Going all the way back from 2008-2022.
So, the various current Wahoo cleats will work with the older Zero and Light Action pedals, but that's it. However, I have the X-series pedals and theres no support for those, unless perhaps one of the Chinese clone cleats might fit. As well as those, Speedplay made two sets of pedals whose cleats were compatible with the SPD hole pattern, the Frog and Syzr; I have multiple pairs of each, and again there's no support from Wahoo, so once the cleats I have are gone they're useless.

There was zero communication from Wahoo for many months after the takeover about what might happen. This didn't help, and nor did their claim they would make another batch of Frog cleats - which never eventuated. The first "news" after the change of ownership was the cancellation of all existing wholesale orders without any prior warning, leaving the local importer, shops and customers in the lurch. None of us were impressed.

I hope that Wahoo suffer as much pain as possible, which they should, given karma...

As for Time, I had the original TBT cleats and shoes, and these were good (biomechanically) except for the sprung recentring. However, the bearings developed play fairly quickly, and cleat wear was also a problem. Their importer here in Australia were complete arseholes and effectively killed the product stone dead here as nobody was prepared to deal with them; they've never recovered here, even ~30 years later.
Check out this thread. I think they are producing X compatible springs. I don't know all the details.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthre ... =Speedplay

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

Time all day, every day for me. Love the slightly recentering, natural feeling float. Love the stability of the platform. Love the ease to click in. Love that the XPro 10s can be had cheaper than 105 SPD SLs, but are lighter than Dura Ace. The cleat wear is pretty good so far on the current XPro iClic cleats -- over 10,000 miles on my current set.

Also, a quick google search reveals you can still get a complete pedal body rebuild kit, for left and right pedals, that includes Ratchet, Carbon Blades, Arch And Arch Axle for both pedals for under US $40. I bought one several months ago, JIC, though I've not had to use it yet.

reknop

by reknop

I have ridden the Time Equipe magnesium pedals (and yellow Time Equipe shoes) for a long time. I recall the flat surface of the shoe and the pedal formed a great system. When Time eventually moved to -I think it was- the IMPACT range I had play on the bearings and axle in no time with two different pairs of pedals. That was the point when I made the switch to Speedplay Zero again (when world tour team CCC started using them again). Speedplay cam back from a bumpy time as well.

For me Speedplay has worked flawelessly for 20 years, so no need to change what works for me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net