2022/2023 Canyon ULTIMATE

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Roel W

by Roel W

Good that you mention the hole in the new Madone but that's a gimmick of the marketing department.
We've seen many of these gimmicks before and they never lasted for long (Colnago HP stays, Specialized Zertz, Casati Marte to name a few frames with holed tubes).
I'm very glad, like thirdsun, that there are brands that offer form-follows-function bikes without expensive distinctive but useless marketing gimmicks.
If you keep in mind the restrictions of the engineering team (what's possible with the current offerings of carbon fibers and resins and moulds, restrictions of components and cable routing,...) it's not so weird most modern bikes resemble each other.
It is not that the bike will be bad. It's just that I was having higher expectation from Canyon after such a long development time.
It's not because it took 5 or 6 or 7 years that Canyon spent all this time on developping the new model. Maybe they spent just the last couple of months on developping the new Ultimate.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

Roel W wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:42 am
It is not that the bike will be bad. It's just that I was having higher expectation from Canyon after such a long development time.
It's not because it took 5 or 6 or 7 years that Canyon spent all this time on developping the new model. Maybe they spent just the last couple of months on developping the new Ultimate.
I know that they didn´t start 6 years ago. I was just trying to say that 6 years ago they were ahead of time with lots of features and thinking. Now it seams they are just chasing others. At least from what we can see on the picture...hopefully they will surprise with something you can´t see immediately...

rawjunk

by rawjunk

Anti-pinarello tube shaping :)

eric01

by eric01

Anyone know how much the “quill style” one piece handlebar/stem weighs from the aeroad? All that adjustability sounds nice on paper but not if it’s a boat anchor for their climbing frame.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

johanalexander

by johanalexander

I've always liked the look of the ultimate. Never ridden one though. The only thing that leaves me a bit confused is that wonky seat stay joint. Either you drop them or you don't. There is no tri :smartass:
Eating trash'n riding fast

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Is that the cp18 Cockpit?!
Would surprise me if they'd really commit to that system like that

cberg

by cberg

Eterna7m wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:35 am
Why? It works nicely, and allows them to ship the bikes with all the cables through the cockpit already done

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

cberg wrote:
Eterna7m wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:35 am
Why? It works nicely, and allows them to ship the bikes with all the cables through the cockpit already done
Because you can’t replace it with anything else if you need different reach (may not a problem if Geo is fine) or something lighter.
And you can’t replace it with a different cp18 because they don’t sell it individually.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Great it uses the same stupid proprietary bar and stem. Which leaves little to no adjustability for the customer. Well done Canyon.

darrydonds

by darrydonds

Excessive branding on the cockpit: two on head tube, 3 on bar-stem. Ridiculous. Add the two on the forks and you have an ugly front-end.

Hope the consumer version has fewer.

(sorry for the ninja edit)
Last edited by darrydonds on Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

darrydonds wrote:Ugly and excessive branding on the cockpit: one on head tube, 3 on bar-stem. Ridiculous.
The aeroad the pros ride have branding on the head tube too , whilst the commercially available does not.

C36

by C36

I saw the frame with Movistar mechanics when they were installing their trucks during last stage. They showed it 2’, no pictures allowed.

I can’t say there was anything but the fork that really caught my attention and the BB junction that looked wider. Can’t say about clearance, wheels were not installed.

Roel W

by Roel W

robbosmans wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:56 pm
Great it uses the same stupid proprietary bar and stem. Which leaves little to no adjustability for the customer. Well done Canyon.
I don't undertand.
They made this msitake with a proprietary parts on the Grail CF (hoover bar) and the latest Aeroad and now again on the new Ultimate. And all that for the sake of hiding the cables.
I have 4 Canyon bkies. Changed the stem for a longer version on all of them. A bike that does not allow to change the stem length is an no-go.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Roel W wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:09 am
robbosmans wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:56 pm
I don't undertand.
They made this msitake with a proprietary parts on the Grail CF (hoover bar) and the latest Aeroad and now again on the new Ultimate. And all that for the sake of hiding the cables.
I have 4 Canyon bkies. Changed the stem for a longer version on all of them. A bike that does not allow to change the stem length is an no-go.
Well, integrated cockpits are here to stay and an increasing number of customers expects them on higher end models. You may not like it but there are still other options out there for you.

Also, I don't think that Canyon considers their Grail Hover bar a mistake. It's polarizing and it looks different, sure. However actual customers seem to like it, the bike reviews well and is constantly sold out. Was the hover bar necessary? Maybe not but it's certainly not a failure.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com