“Different” new Madone (2023)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

MitchatTrek wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:37 pm
Good callout. Just noticed that link was added. Our Performance Research team has been wanting to keep most documents in the blog format to keep it collected in a single place.
Thanks for posting here. Can you post a link to the white paper (or is it the same as the blog post)?

Separately, when do you expect framesets and new bar-stem to become available for purchase, and what will be the price of the new cockpit?

1202thomas

by 1202thomas

MitchatTrek wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:34 pm
cajer wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:29 pm
MitchatTrek wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:25 pm
cajer wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:01 pm

Looks great! Question about using a standard bar stem, how do the cables route in that instance? In front of the stem is it possible to have them hidden? And do you have any pictures of what that might look like?
We don't have photos of the bike with a standard cockpit since that isn't something we would want to advertise - the current cockpit is a major watt saving, so it would be counterintuitive to remove it in my opinion - unless you can't make it fit your specific fit needs. However, the cables would exit in front of the steerer tube, like the prior Madone. We will have parts available for standard cockpit setups too!
Thanks for the info, and yes it's because the bike is a bit too long that I would be going for the standard cockpit. I'd be choosing a 35cm wide bar at the hoods so it shouldn't be too bad aerodynamically
Gotcha! The narrowest bar we'll have is 38cm. Full range and SKUs:

Screenshot 2022-06-30 113307.png

Also, it is worth noting that the handlebars are 3cm narrower in the hoods than the drops.
Will there also be longer stem options? Like a 130x400mm?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

johnsonmoog

by johnsonmoog

MitchatTrek wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:28 pm
Morning all, the new Madone is finally live for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

See it online here or check out our blog about the bike here.

TK22_MadoneSLR_Hero_Portrait 4_4x5.jpg
Looks great - any idea what the lead time is for the SL7 and SL9s in the UK (in a 54!)

1202thomas

by 1202thomas

Just ordered a 58cm Quicksilver colourway with my TrekU guide form :). Hope there will be a 130x400mm option, otherwise I'd have to go for the 120x420mm combo.

MitchatTrek

by MitchatTrek

aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:55 pm
MitchatTrek wrote:
Good callout. Just noticed that link was added. Our Performance Research team has been wanting to keep most documents in the blog format to keep it collected in a single place.
Thanks for posting here. Can you post a link to the white paper (or is it the same as the blog post)?

Separately, when do you expect framesets and new bar-stem to become available for purchase, and what will be the price of the new cockpit?
The blog post would be the white paper for our in-house testing. No third party testing by the way, but we may see someone tackle that which would be cool.

For framesets, the standard frameset will be shipping as early as December 2022 as of this moment. The bar/stem will be available as early as February 2023 - which has an MSRP of $649.99. Also, just to note for other readers, the bar/stem is not backward compatible.
Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

MitchatTrek

by MitchatTrek

1202thomas wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:02 pm
MitchatTrek wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:34 pm
cajer wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:29 pm
MitchatTrek wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:25 pm

We don't have photos of the bike with a standard cockpit since that isn't something we would want to advertise - the current cockpit is a major watt saving, so it would be counterintuitive to remove it in my opinion - unless you can't make it fit your specific fit needs. However, the cables would exit in front of the steerer tube, like the prior Madone. We will have parts available for standard cockpit setups too!
Thanks for the info, and yes it's because the bike is a bit too long that I would be going for the standard cockpit. I'd be choosing a 35cm wide bar at the hoods so it shouldn't be too bad aerodynamically
Gotcha! The narrowest bar we'll have is 38cm. Full range and SKUs:

Screenshot 2022-06-30 113307.png

Also, it is worth noting that the handlebars are 3cm narrower in the hoods than the drops.
Will there also be longer stem options? Like a 130x400mm?
Unlikely - it looks like a 120mm length is going to be the largest, but just offered with the 420mm width.
Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

MitchatTrek

by MitchatTrek

johnsonmoog wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:03 pm
MitchatTrek wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:28 pm
Morning all, the new Madone is finally live for your viewing pleasure. Enjoy!

See it online here or check out our blog about the bike here.

TK22_MadoneSLR_Hero_Portrait 4_4x5.jpg
Looks great - any idea what the lead time is for the SL7 and SL9s in the UK (in a 54!)

Roughly a 364 day lead time for those models - subject to change though! I'd recommend checking in with your local Trek retailer!

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

MitchatTrek wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:25 pm
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:55 pm
MitchatTrek wrote:

The blog post would be the white paper for our in-house testing. No third party testing by the way, but we may see someone tackle that which would be cool.

For framesets, the standard frameset will be shipping as early as December 2022 as of this moment. The bar/stem will be available as early as February 2023 - which has an MSRP of $649.99. Also, just to note for other readers, the bar/stem is not backward compatible.
Man, that's quite the price for components... I suppose discounting will take hold once we're into a 2023 recession.

I do agree with the point that the number of bar/stem size options is insufficient. 3 width options is fine, but it's pretty much impossible to go narrow and long, which is what you'd want for racers. This is especially the case now that you are defaulting to a zero offset seatpost (which is good idea!), which effectively means one needs to add 2cm to stem length to get the same lenghth from the saddle to the hoods.

TLN

by TLN

^100% this.
Plus this seems like third or fourth iteration of single piece handlebar, and you probably specify the reason you're changing own standarts of integrated stems/bars and not designing em backwards compatible. One can imagine that after 2-3 iterations (6+ years) company would figure out most optimal way to route cables.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

wolflikeme

by wolflikeme

ABogle wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:18 pm
“That 19-watt number, that's the whole system: the rider and the bike. About 9.3 watts comes from the bike and then 9.7 watts from the position change on the new bike.”

Correct me if im wrong but this is some serious mental gymnastics. Unless im missing something couldn't spesh just stock their sl7 with a extra narrow bar and claim it was more aero? What if you are already coming from a very narrow bar? Additionally aero shouldn't trump fit especially for those who are not paid to race.

Anyway, its a lot lighter and they tried something different without compromising practically, if anything its better as you don't have to deal with servicing the isospeed.
Agreed 100%.

Sworks Tarmac SL8 - 7.09kg
LS Ultimate (7.89kg), Tarmac SL7 (7.56kg), Aethos (7.00kg), Venge (7.59 kg), Roubaix Team (7.53 kg) - Sold

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ABogle wrote:
“That 19-watt number, that's the whole system: the rider and the bike. About 9.3 watts comes from the bike and then 9.7 watts from the position change on the new bike.”

Correct me if im wrong but this is some serious mental gymnastics. Unless im missing something couldn't spesh just stock their sl7 with a extra narrow bar and claim it was more aero? What if you are already coming from a very narrow bar? Additionally aero shouldn't trump fit especially for those who are not paid to race.

Anyway, its a lot lighter and they tried something different without compromising practically, if anything its better as you don't have to deal with servicing the isospeed.

Even if they claimed 9.3W from the frame itself, that puts it right back up there with the fastest aero bikes. The availability of what effectively are 35cm and 37cm bars is a bonus.

And if you aren’t serious about racing, then it’s not really prudent to buy a Madone, or buy the next size up in handlebars. You aren’t going to miss those watts anyway since you’re not racing.

hannawald

by hannawald

I was hoping that they release new Domane as well but no word about it. If this Madone has 365 days lead time I guess I have no patience waiting for it:)

ABogle

by ABogle

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:04 pm
ABogle wrote:

Even if they claimed 9.3W from the frame itself, that puts it right back up there with the fastest aero bikes. The availability of what effectively are 35cm and 37cm bars is a bonus.

And if you aren’t serious about racing, then it’s not really prudent to buy a Madone, or buy the next size up in handlebars. You aren’t going to miss those watts anyway since you’re not racing.
I still think its a claim that should come with an asterisk. As for buying it if you are not racing, whilst I largely agree with you, I would say just because you are not racing doesn't mean you don't want to go as fast as possible. But let's face it the vast majority of these madones will be sold to people don't race along with the rest of the superbikes and various pieces of equipment marketed as being for racing.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

ABogle wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:23 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:04 pm
ABogle wrote:

I still think its a claim that should come with an asterisk. As for buying it if you are not racing, whilst I largely agree with you, I would say just because you are not racing doesn't mean you don't want to go as fast as possible. But let's face it the vast majority of these madones will be sold to people don't race along with the rest of the superbikes and various pieces of equipment marketed as being for racing.
The vast majority will be sold to rich white men who do not even ride very much in fact.

AW84

by AW84

$10,000 with a second-tier groupset and $8,000 with 105. Man, what a time to be alive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com