“Different” new Madone (2023)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tomasz

by Tomasz

Have you any information about Project One ? Will it be available in Project One or when ? If you pay that cash for bike, that will be nice to paint it on colour you like and equip with parts you need. My LBS don't have any info.

Lina

by Lina

C36 wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:37 pm
I leave aside the “if the rider is more aero then the overall system is more aero” (thanks for stating the obvious) but I am a bit skeptical on aero performance in 90% of the cases where we experience <10% yaw angles (trek themselves mentioned it on an old littérature)

From their own data there is barely a difference until you reach 7.5 deg meaning that in every days life you won’t see anything. Now it could always make the difference the “once in a blue moon” day you are attacking in crazy side wind where you have 15-20deg yaw angle…

It also questions the “hole” impact in aero, they illustrate its theoretical benefits with 0yaw angles simulations… and that’s where the 2 bikes behave exactly the same.
The whole 90% of time in <10 degree yaw is such a bad take. As a whole it might be true but it all depends on where you ride. Someone might practically never see >10 degree yaws. While others experience them most of the days they're out riding. What is crazy windy for others might be a calm day for someone else. On bike vacations I've had cases where we've just been talking among our group about how it's nice to ride when it's not that windy, only to overhear someone complain how it's so windy to their friends on our next stop.

I've not seen a day with below 10 m/s winds, up to +15 m/s in gusts, in the last two weeks. And thanks to the prevelant wind direction and the roads most of my rides are spent riding in side winds.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cajer

by cajer

Lina wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:52 pm
C36 wrote:
I leave aside the “if the rider is more aero then the overall system is more aero” (thanks for stating the obvious) but I am a bit skeptical on aero performance in 90% of the cases where we experience <10% yaw angles (trek themselves mentioned it on an old littérature)

From their own data there is barely a difference until you reach 7.5 deg meaning that in every days life you won’t see anything. Now it could always make the difference the “once in a blue moon” day you are attacking in crazy side wind where you have 15-20deg yaw angle…

It also questions the “hole” impact in aero, they illustrate its theoretical benefits with 0yaw angles simulations… and that’s where the 2 bikes behave exactly the same.
The whole 90% of time in <10 degree yaw is such a bad take. As a whole it might be true but it all depends on where you ride. Someone might practically never see >10 degree yaws. While others experience them most of the days they're out riding. What is crazy windy for others might be a calm day for someone else. On bike vacations I've had cases where we've just been talking among our group about how it's nice to ride when it's not that windy, only to overhear someone complain how it's so windy to their friends on our next stop.

I've not seen a day with below 10 m/s winds, up to +15 m/s in gusts, in the last two weeks. And thanks to the prevelant wind direction and the roads most of my rides are spent riding in side winds.
You can't use ancdoate experience that didn't even measure wind speeds. There have been wind speed surveys of large areas of the world and data from that was used to develop the 90% of time < 10 degree yaw figure.

Additional n = low testing has also been done with wind probe sensors at very windy places like Kona, and the majority of time is still below 10 degrees IIRC ~70% of the time. In non-windy places of course the data is even lower yaw.

Lina

by Lina

cajer wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:16 pm
Lina wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:52 pm
C36 wrote:

You can't use ancdoate experience that didn't even measure wind speeds. There have been wind speed surveys of large areas of the world and data from that was used to develop the 90% of time < 10 degree yaw figure.

Additional n = low testing has also been done with wind probe sensors at very windy places like Kona, and the majority of time is still below 10 degrees IIRC ~70% of the time. In non-windy places of course the data is even lower yaw.
Sorry, but this doesn't count as very windy. Try doubling those numbers and then we might talk.
Screenshot 2022-07-21 015509.png
How likely you're to to experience high yaws depends entirely on where you ride. If you live somewhere windy then it's very likely. If you don't, then you're going to be mostly riding in very low yaw. Looking at an average from couple of locations or even worldwide is useless. What matters is where you're riding your bike, not the worldwide average. And this can change drastically even on short distances. Terrain effects wind speeds massively. You can have two locations not even 100 km apart where one gets constant high speed winds and the other is quite calm. What also matters is the road infrastructure, are the roads constructed in places that are completely open to wind or is there something to block the ground level wind?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Either way, if the Madone excels in crosswinds, that’s not a bad thing. You don’t really break away from a peloton in non-windy conditions unless the teams let you. When it’s windy as hell, you can tear the peloton to shreds.

C36

by C36

Lina wrote: The whole 90% of time in <10 degree yaw is such a bad take. As a whole it might be true but it all depends on where you ride.
It’s called real life and yes, you may have cases were you may see wider angles but even at Kona you don’t see 20% at wider angles.

The main point is that running the maths (using Mavic yaw weighted angles law), I can’t find their 9W savings versus previous gen. The savings being at marginal yaw angles, unless you artificially exaggerate those angles weight I can’t find 9W…
TobinHatesYou wrote:Either way, if the Madone excels in crosswinds, that’s not a bad thing. You don’t really break away from a peloton in non-windy conditions unless the teams let you. When it’s windy as hell, you can tear the peloton to shreds.
That’s obviously a good thing but we don’t have anything saying it is better than competition, just is better than previous.

Supersix evo2 HM - 5.9 stiff-aero version, 5.6kg light specs.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

Tomasz wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:10 pm
Have you any information about Project One ? Will it be available in Project One or when ? If you pay that cash for bike, that will be nice to paint it on colour you like and equip with parts you need. My LBS don't have any info.
Website has a Project One release in "Autumn 2022"

Lbert

by Lbert

tmrace wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:21 am
Has anyone received more concrete information about frame, fork, and seatpost weights?
https://youtu.be/ZlkvBLvJqiY
Size 56, Quicksilver:
Handlebar = 335g
Fork = 472g
Seatpost = 182g
Frame = 1133g
Total = 2122g

Looks like lighter than gen 6 frameset

RDY

by RDY

C36 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:06 am
Lina wrote: The whole 90% of time in <10 degree yaw is such a bad take. As a whole it might be true but it all depends on where you ride.
It’s called real life and yes, you may have cases were you may see wider angles but even at Kona you don’t see 20% at wider angles.

The main point is that running the maths (using Mavic yaw weighted angles law), I can’t find their 9W savings versus previous gen. The savings being at marginal yaw angles, unless you artificially exaggerate those angles weight I can’t find 9W…
TobinHatesYou wrote:Either way, if the Madone excels in crosswinds, that’s not a bad thing. You don’t really break away from a peloton in non-windy conditions unless the teams let you. When it’s windy as hell, you can tear the peloton to shreds.
That’s obviously a good thing but we don’t have anything saying it is better than competition, just is better than previous.

Supersix evo2 HM - 5.9 stiff-aero version, 5.6kg light specs.
The information also doesn't say it's better than previous. Real world conditions are highly turbulent, particularly when the wind is strong and gusty. These are tested in steady state ... it's in no way representative of real world performance when there's any kind of serious air movement with any kind of obstacles or relief in the wind's path.

tmrace

by tmrace

Lbert wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:33 am
tmrace wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:21 am
Has anyone received more concrete information about frame, fork, and seatpost weights?
https://youtu.be/ZlkvBLvJqiY
Size 56, Quicksilver:
Handlebar = 335g
Fork = 472g
Seatpost = 182g
Frame = 1133g
Total = 2122g

Looks like lighter than gen 6 frameset
Hmm. Weight is wayyy over what they claimed. Trek product team claimed the frame was sub 1000g and the fork about 400g. Trek support told me the same plus that the 42x100 handlebar was 295g.

Either that silver paint is ridiculously thick and heavy, or the weights Trek was claiming initially simply aren't accurate.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ love that color.. but @ 1100g forget it.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

That's likely the heaviest stock paint theme and Trek uses unpainted weights in its whitepapers afaik. If we're gonna mention faults, there's a paint bubble on the lip of the BB shell.

tmrace

by tmrace

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:28 am
That's likely the heaviest stock paint theme and Trek uses unpainted weights in its whitepapers afaik. If we're gonna mention faults, there's a paint bubble on the lip of the BB shell.
I saw that too.

The weight on the frame also included the chain catcher, both derailleur mounts, and the di2 battery holder.

Unpainted weight doesn't explain why the handlebar is 40g more than their CS team said, but maybe that's preproduction.

I'm still looking forward to seeing some of the other colors weighed. The grey smoke is supposed to be the lightest. Guess we will see.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

So we'll see plenty of smaller Madones in Le Tour Femmes.

Is this 54? Or 52?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Cemicar wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:54 am
So we'll see plenty of smaller Madones in Le Tour Femmes.

Is this 54? Or 52?

That is definitely a 52cm. Doubt we’ll see a 54cm at the TdF Femmes. Ellen van Dijk rides a 58cm. Tayler Wiles, who isn’t on the startlist, rides a 54cm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com