“Different” new Madone (2023)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

I gotta say, I don't find 8kg for an aero bike *that* bad at size 58 with a thick paint job, 28c tubeless tires and deep wheels.
Of course you can get a bike much lighter, but that usually requires a lot of aftermarket bling, that pros might not be allowed to use.
Saving X grams on a saddle, that you might not like as much, is probably a detriment to performance rather than helpful. Going for a lighter pedal system, that you might not sprinting on as much, or that has a heavier cleat system like Speedplay, won't effectively save anything.
SRAM Red AXS is Heavy, especially with the huge 54/41 or 56/43 rings.
Lastly, the pros have the luxury of going Emonda for the Alpes and Pyrenees, while having the aero gains on the flat stages.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Lbert

by Lbert

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:25 pm
Cemicar wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:49 am
Pedersen's Madone weights 8.0kg.
https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/10742/tr ... s-pedersen

It's still a tad heavier than the claimed 7.36kg at 56, but he uses a 58 size frame with pedals, deeper wheels, bigger chainrings and those heavy bottle cages (50g each!) so it would be within the allowable range.

Seems like we can go with 35C.
All makes sense really

+110g for wheels - RSL 62 vs 51
+130g for tyres - Pirelli P Zero Race 28mm vs Bontrager R4 25mm
+235g for pedals - Shimano Dura Ace 9100
+44g for saddle - Bontrager Verse Pro vs Bontrager Aeolus Pro
+96g for bottle cages - Bontrager Bat Cage

so, if you stuck with the stock build, add the pedals, could lose up to 95g on the saddle, add some XXX bottle cages (40g a pair) and end up at around 7.5kg ish
I thought they only use 28mm on cobbles and use 25mm on tarmac. Unless they need 28mm to increase the comforts due to lack of isospeed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmbiscuit

by dmbiscuit

Looks like the weight does add up, but it still seems heavy for a modern aero bike, though this is coming from the point of view of a weightweenies poster so I get that it may not be as important to other groups.

Lbert

by Lbert

dmbiscuit wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:29 pm
Looks like the weight does add up, but it still seems heavy for a modern aero bike, though this is coming from the point of view of a weightweenies poster so I get that it may not be as important to other groups.
Trek advertised the Madone as Fast as a rocket, light as a feather, and aero all over.
8kg for a feather :noidea:

Lbert

by Lbert

dmbiscuit wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:29 pm
Trek advertised the Madone as Fast as a rocket, light as a feather, and aero all over.
8kg for a feather :noidea:

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Youve made like 8 postings on WW and most are in this thread about Isospeed. Are you a troll or something?

Lbert

by Lbert

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:32 am
Youve made like 8 postings on WW and most are in this thread about Isospeed. Are you a troll or something?
Sorry if I offended anyone

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

I'm still not understanding the thought process behind the barstem reach on this bike.

The Emonda and Madone frames share absolutely identical geometry.

They are both specced as stock with the same length stem, yet the Madone's new barstem is 80mm reach (confirmed by Trek support) whereas the Emonda is 100mm reach, putting the rider in a much more forward agressive position.

This would remove the option of the 38cm bar for me as I'd need a 110mm stem

hannawald

by hannawald

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:04 am
I'm still not understanding the thought process behind the barstem reach on this bike.

The Emonda and Madone frames share absolutely identical geometry.

They are both specced as stock with the same length stem, yet the Madone's new barstem is 80mm reach (confirmed by Trek support) whereas the Emonda is 100mm reach, putting the rider in a much more forward agressive position.

This would remove the option of the 38cm bar for me as I'd need a 110mm stem
It´s kind of normal for Trek. I wondered the same with mtb. They used to have 2 stems - cheaper with 0 angle and more expensive -13 degrees. So they specced the same frame with zero degree stem in cheaper version and -13 angle stem for more expensive version (they simple didn´t have -13 degree stem cheap enough so put on the cheaper version what was available). The following year they started to make different bars so they put 750mm bars on the bike instead of 720mm ones without changing the stem length... you simply wonder how serious are they about geometry.

Some geometry decisions are weird. Caledonia 5 is Cervelos endurance bike and they put there 73 degree seatpost angle (instead of usual 73.5) and on top of that 25mm offset seatpost for pretty stretched position. Bianchi Infinito uses 120mm stem on its 57 (it is 56 top tube) endurance bike and 25mm offset seatpost - who can ride it?

Seems like manufacturers just don´t care about couple of centimetres here and there...you need to take extra cash and make things normal.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

You have seen the profiles of the first few stages of the TDF?
Pancake flat, weight just doesn't matter, it's all about aero.
As soon as the road starts pointing upwards, they'll be on the Emonda.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Lbert wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:41 am
CAAD8FRED wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:32 am
Sorry if I offended anyone
Not so much offend, just odd when someone joins a forum and immediately starts posting numerous, similar comments over and over. If you really want to know more about comfort and weight, wait for tour magazine to test it since they have rigs that strain the frame to see how stiff and compliant it is.

pmprego

by pmprego

hannawald wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:18 am
(...)
Some geometry decisions are weird. Caledonia 5 is Cervelos endurance bike and they put there 73 degree seatpost angle (instead of usual 73.5) and on top of that 25mm offset seatpost for pretty stretched position. Bianchi Infinito uses 120mm stem on its 57 (it is 56 top tube) endurance bike and 25mm offset seatpost - who can ride it?

Seems like manufacturers just don´t care about couple of centimetres here and there...you need to take extra cash and make things normal.
I'm not looking for a new bike but I keep seeing the major releases to be informed (and why not!). One thing I've decided for a next bike is that I won't be buying extra seatpost (especially if specific to the frame) just because some manufacturers still like to place the rider over the rear wheel. I get that different people, have different needs but either the standard option fits me or the brand allows me to chose which version I prefer. If none of these are possible, then that bike is off the list. Brands have to improve their customer service and I won't be giving money to those who are not up to standard. Plain and simple.

Another trend is the integrated cockpit. People seem to look for, so the brnads produce them. But while they make specific sizes for pros (see cube for instante), this is not the case for average consumers. For those, they basically produce for the average rider stratified by height. This is another topic that makes me drop bikes. If they require proprietary cockpits, I'm out. This gives me no flexibility and the bicycle market around me is not big enough to be switching bikes frequently. But again, this is just me. I do not make a trend.

Regarding trek handlebar specs, I do like those in terms of flare (around 6º flare I consider to be the optimum for road) and I do like they now ship standard with zero offset seatposts.

dmbiscuit

by dmbiscuit

For what it's worth, I think most Trek shops will swap seatpost and bar/stems for you when you purchase a complete bike to get the fit right. I went to place an order for a frameset only with seatpost and bars and they even said they'd swap them after the fact of the fit wasn't right. It may just take talking to a shop (or customer service online) in advance to see what they are willing to do in terms of component swaps for you without a charge.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Stuyven on new Madone on roubaix stage

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

dmbiscuit wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:25 pm
For what it's worth, I think most Trek shops will swap seatpost and bar/stems for you when you purchase a complete bike to get the fit right. I went to place an order for a frameset only with seatpost and bars and they even said they'd swap them after the fact of the fit wasn't right. It may just take talking to a shop (or customer service online) in advance to see what they are willing to do in terms of component swaps for you without a charge.

They talked about doing this officially in their web session a few years back, but nothing ever materialized. I am skeptical that they would do component swaps for integrated cabling bikes for free. It would take a lot of labor and also one piece bar/stems are expensive and hard to sell/inventory.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com