“Different” new Madone (2023)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TLN

by TLN

MitchatTrek wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:56 pm
TLN wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:41 pm
^100% this.
Plus this seems like third or fourth iteration of single piece handlebar, and you probably specify the reason you're changing own standarts of integrated stems/bars and not designing em backwards compatible. One can imagine that after 2-3 iterations (6+ years) company would figure out most optimal way to route cables.
Cable routing hasn't really changed, it is the frame design that changes for which the bar/stem fits, just like on prior models. Plus, the cockpit has a lot of input on the aero of the complete package.
So instead of making it backwards compatible (like BMC) you kept same cable routing but changed shape of the stem/spacers a little to make it look ugly? Sounds like a perfect cashgrab :|
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

gmbike

by gmbike

Even more puzzling on closer inspection.
Gen 6 Gen 7
Durace 7.6 7.1 ( 54 )
Sram red 7.65 7.36
Ultegra 8 7.48
Sram force 8.2 7.76
Sram rival 8.42 8.03
105 di2 7.75

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spartan wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:46 am
wrong. 80mm reach

Going to need a 130mm or 140mm / 40cm version "low" version then. MitchatTrek, make it happen!

cajer

by cajer

MitchatTrek wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:25 pm
aeroisnteverything wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:55 pm
MitchatTrek wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:37 pm
Good callout. Just noticed that link was added. Our Performance Research team has been wanting to keep most documents in the blog format to keep it collected in a single place.
Thanks for posting here. Can you post a link to the white paper (or is it the same as the blog post)?

Separately, when do you expect framesets and new bar-stem to become available for purchase, and what will be the price of the new cockpit?
The blog post would be the white paper for our in-house testing. No third party testing by the way, but we may see someone tackle that which would be cool.

For framesets, the standard frameset will be shipping as early as December 2022 as of this moment. The bar/stem will be available as early as February 2023 - which has an MSRP of $649.99. Also, just to note for other readers, the bar/stem is not backward compatible.
How much will the frameset be?

AW84

by AW84

CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:00 pm
RDY wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:05 pm
AW84 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:28 pm
$10,000 with a second-tier groupset and $8,000 with 105. Man, what a time to be alive.
Guarantee they're aiming for $10k for 105 level for MY25.
Thinking about a new bike? I told my wife a new Ducati Scrambler costs about the same as an Ultegra Trek! Crazy!
This industry has priced me out. I've got very nice rim-brake bikes, but if they ever fail me, I refuse to drop what will undoubtedly be 10-grand for any useful road bike in another couple years.

jlok

by jlok

spartan wrote:
wrong. 80mm reach

bikerumor best article on madone. READ. too many people on this forum make assumptions without getting all the facts.

The width on this bar is measured at the drops
The tops are 3 cm narrower than the drops
Reach: 80 mm
Drop: 124 mm
Blendr compatible
Stem/Bar combo sizes per frame size: 47cm: 38×80 mm, 50 & 52: 40×90 mm, 54: 42×90 mm, 56-58: 42×100 mm, 60-62: 44×110 mm

https://bikerumor.com/new-2023-trek-mad ... road-bike/

with a massive recession coming soon in 2023 i don't see these bikes selling at full price come next summer.

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:39 pm
38cm only goes up to 100mm stem length.
40cm up to 110mm

For most this won’t be an issue because it’s still a variant of the VR-C design, so >90mm reach.
How about they keep the Madone as the top model with the sky high price tag relative to the economy, then keep the existing no-hole Madone as the cheaper model?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

tommyboyo wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:26 pm
ABogle wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:23 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:04 pm
ABogle wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:18 pm
“That 19-watt number, that's the whole system: the rider and the bike. About 9.3 watts comes from the bike and then 9.7 watts from the position change on the new bike.”

Correct me if im wrong but this is some serious mental gymnastics. Unless im missing something couldn't spesh just stock their sl7 with a extra narrow bar and claim it was more aero? What if you are already coming from a very narrow bar? Additionally aero shouldn't trump fit especially for those who are not paid to race.

Anyway, its a lot lighter and they tried something different without compromising practically, if anything its better as you don't have to deal with servicing the isospeed.

Even if they claimed 9.3W from the frame itself, that puts it right back up there with the fastest aero bikes. The availability of what effectively are 35cm and 37cm bars is a bonus.

And if you aren’t serious about racing, then it’s not really prudent to buy a Madone, or buy the next size up in handlebars. You aren’t going to miss those watts anyway since you’re not racing.
I still think its a claim that should come with an asterisk. As for buying it if you are not racing, whilst I largely agree with you, I would say just because you are not racing doesn't mean you don't want to go as fast as possible. But let's face it the vast majority of these madones will be sold to people don't race along with the rest of the superbikes and various pieces of equipment marketed as being for racing.
The vast majority will be sold to rich white men who do not even ride very much in fact.
Woke racist?
Never cheer before you know who is winning

guyc

by guyc

I think it looks bloody good.

But at 52 it's a bike that I don't need or want any more , and like mentioned above the pricing now is insane. I earn decent enough money compared to many here in England. I'm not rich but we're fairly comfortable but I just find the prices being asked now are eye-watering.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

What's going on with the availability?
No Project one available until fall. Not even configurable.
Paper release?
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:25 am
spartan wrote:
wrong. 80mm reach

Going to need a 130mm or 140mm / 40cm version "low" version then. MitchatTrek, make it happen!
Yeah, this makes no sense, I can't see how that's correct.

The Emonda in a 56 is specced with a 100mm stem on a bar with 100mm reach, and the frame has the same reach as the Madone, so if that 80mm is true, it's putting you 20mm further back than the Emonda for the same frame size. Same headtube angle and all, so that's not compensating in any way.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

AW84 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:41 am
CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:00 pm
RDY wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:05 pm
AW84 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:28 pm
$10,000 with a second-tier groupset and $8,000 with 105. Man, what a time to be alive.
Guarantee they're aiming for $10k for 105 level for MY25.
Thinking about a new bike? I told my wife a new Ducati Scrambler costs about the same as an Ultegra Trek! Crazy!
This industry has priced me out. I've got very nice rim-brake bikes, but if they ever fail me, I refuse to drop what will undoubtedly be 10-grand for any useful road bike in another couple years.
Same here! I can't stop looking or keep me kind of up to date for possible future purchases.
I am thinking of a custom fit alu frame. Maybe Ultegra Di2 or Sram Force AXS. with an aftermarket crankset like Rotor Aldhu carbon.
When Ax released the Vial EVO D it was costing about 33-40% less than the current offering.
Ax suits my need as far as geometry and ride feel. But i think i can get away with alu when tires steadily has grown in size.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

wheelbuilder wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:20 am
tommyboyo wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:26 pm
ABogle wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:23 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:04 pm

Even if they claimed 9.3W from the frame itself, that puts it right back up there with the fastest aero bikes. The availability of what effectively are 35cm and 37cm bars is a bonus.

And if you aren’t serious about racing, then it’s not really prudent to buy a Madone, or buy the next size up in handlebars. You aren’t going to miss those watts anyway since you’re not racing.
I still think its a claim that should come with an asterisk. As for buying it if you are not racing, whilst I largely agree with you, I would say just because you are not racing doesn't mean you don't want to go as fast as possible. But let's face it the vast majority of these madones will be sold to people don't race along with the rest of the superbikes and various pieces of equipment marketed as being for racing.
The vast majority will be sold to rich white men who do not even ride very much in fact.
Woke racist?
Cycling is the new golf.

Just ask the marketing teams for these companies who their demographic is!!

Cemicar

by Cemicar

I taked to my LBS and the staff said we currently could not order the framset alone, nor project one was available. She confirmed even complete bikes would not come until November (or most likely, later). For that matter I was surprized even she knew pretty much nothing about the release aside of what little we could read from the official page. As such, I have to second the notion that this is just a paper release, aka Shimano disease but even they seem to deliver the new 105 in August.

Maybe Trek wants to become the first brand to feature this hole after the UCI rule change, while knowing it's hardly available this year.

Lbert

by Lbert

Are we confirmed the handlebar has 80mm reach and 124mm drop ?

smartyiak

by smartyiak

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:40 am

Same here! I can't stop looking or keep me kind of up to date for possible future purchases.
I am thinking of a custom fit alu frame. Maybe Ultegra Di2 or Sram Force AXS. with an aftermarket crankset like Rotor Aldhu carbon.
When Ax released the Vial EVO D it was costing about 33-40% less than the current offering.
Ax suits my need as far as geometry and ride feel. But i think i can get away with alu when tires steadily has grown in size.
Yep. Makes the Aeroroad seem like an even better bargain. Even has me asking: how in the world does Canyon do it (and then there's the Ribble's of the world...who are even lower)??? I get the "flagship model" being $$$$$ as a sales/marketing tactic, but it looks like that's flowed down to Rival/105 levels.
Last edited by smartyiak on Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com