“Different” new Madone (2023)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LRB23

by LRB23

Will the new Madone take older Shimano group sets such as the outgoing 9100 series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:40 am
AW84 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:41 am
CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:00 pm
RDY wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:05 pm

Guarantee they're aiming for $10k for 105 level for MY25.
Thinking about a new bike? I told my wife a new Ducati Scrambler costs about the same as an Ultegra Trek! Crazy!
This industry has priced me out. I've got very nice rim-brake bikes, but if they ever fail me, I refuse to drop what will undoubtedly be 10-grand for any useful road bike in another couple years.
Same here! I can't stop looking or keep me kind of up to date for possible future purchases.
I am thinking of a custom fit alu frame. Maybe Ultegra Di2 or Sram Force AXS. with an aftermarket crankset like Rotor Aldhu carbon.
When Ax released the Vial EVO D it was costing about 33-40% less than the current offering.
Ax suits my need as far as geometry and ride feel. But i think i can get away with alu when tires steadily has grown in size.
Same. I was lucky I found a great deal on an almost new Addict RC for half the price. The first owner had it for only three weeks.🙂 3000 euros for a 2021 RC20 with Force AXS. So I only had to add another 1000 euros for Winspace Hypers. Otherwise I would have never afforded a bike like that.

And this was in the middle of a bike drought. Had to race over to another town to get it before someone else did.🙂

Had some issues with FD chain drop but that seems to have been resolved.

I have a friend who just paid 10000 euros for a new BMC SLR01 five plus Enve Foundation wheels. That's more than double for an equivalent bike. It's nice that Canyon at least offer relatively low prices.
Last edited by Roadbiker10 on Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roadbiker10

by Roadbiker10

Haven't read the whole thread. I gather they offer 35 and 37 bars? About time someone started doing it. I had to stick to the original 300g stem on my Addict just so I could get narrower bars. At least 38 with up to 120mm length should be available. I don't see why not.
Scott Addict RC 20 2021
Ridley Kanzo Adventure 2022

MitchatTrek

by MitchatTrek

tmrace wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:50 pm
MitchatTrek wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:56 pm
TLN wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:41 pm
^100% this.
Plus this seems like third or fourth iteration of single piece handlebar, and you probably specify the reason you're changing own standarts of integrated stems/bars and not designing em backwards compatible. One can imagine that after 2-3 iterations (6+ years) company would figure out most optimal way to route cables.
Cable routing hasn't really changed, it is the frame design that changes for which the bar/stem fits, just like on prior models. Plus, the cockpit has a lot of input on the aero of the complete package.
Mitch, any timeline for when ProjectOne will be up for the new bike?
Still TBD - Our P1 team is working out logistics, but we have a slick new ICON paint scheme being announced this season.
Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

Andrew69

by Andrew69

guyc wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:47 am
I think it looks bloody good.

But at 52 it's a bike that I don't need or want any more , and like mentioned above the pricing now is insane. I earn decent enough money compared to many here in England. I'm not rich but we're fairly comfortable but I just find the prices being asked now are eye-watering.
Im in the same situation here in Australia (except Im waaaay younger than you at 50 :mrgreen: )
I hoping the coming recession tempers the prices somewhat
The fit is perfect for me and I love the look of the bike, but by the time it lands here in Australia, to be almost twice the price of an equivalently specced Canyon is just not on.
If I can get it for a "reasonable" (compared to what the prices are now, not to what is actualy reasonable, because that appears to be long gone in the bike industry now) price, then it will be my next bike.

neomoz

by neomoz

Looks ugly, it's like the bike has a butthole now. :mrgreen:

dmbiscuit

by dmbiscuit

I doubt there is much info out there yet, but maybe someone with industry connections would know (or have an idea from other frames). Any idea on what the weight difference is between frame sizes? I'm between a 56 and a 58 and am debating which way to go. Weight won't be the only deciding factor but may help my decision if its a big jump.

dmbiscuit

by dmbiscuit

LRB23 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:01 pm
Will the new Madone take older Shimano group sets such as the outgoing 9100 series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are stating the frame is electronic groupset only

cajer

by cajer

MitchatTrek wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:29 pm
tmrace wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:50 pm
MitchatTrek wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:56 pm
TLN wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:41 pm
^100% this.
Plus this seems like third or fourth iteration of single piece handlebar, and you probably specify the reason you're changing own standarts of integrated stems/bars and not designing em backwards compatible. One can imagine that after 2-3 iterations (6+ years) company would figure out most optimal way to route cables.
Cable routing hasn't really changed, it is the frame design that changes for which the bar/stem fits, just like on prior models. Plus, the cockpit has a lot of input on the aero of the complete package.
Mitch, any timeline for when ProjectOne will be up for the new bike?
Still TBD - Our P1 team is working out logistics, but we have a slick new ICON paint scheme being announced this season.
Are there any pics of it in 47cm? I'm curious how everything especially the hole will look

Stormtrooper

by Stormtrooper

The dimensions of the new madone and outgoing madone are similar, so the hole will be way down around the rear wheel just like the outgoing model. Gulio Cicconi is the smallest rider on Trek Segafredo at the tour so you might see a small version (54/52) of the new madone tomorrow.

Finn

by Finn

TobinHatesYou wrote:
ABogle wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:18 pm
“That 19-watt number, that's the whole system: the rider and the bike. About 9.3 watts comes from the bike and then 9.7 watts from the position change on the new bike.”

Correct me if im wrong but this is some serious mental gymnastics. Unless im missing something couldn't spesh just stock their sl7 with a extra narrow bar and claim it was more aero? What if you are already coming from a very narrow bar? Additionally aero shouldn't trump fit especially for those who are not paid to race.

Anyway, its a lot lighter and they tried something different without compromising practically, if anything its better as you don't have to deal with servicing the isospeed.

Even if they claimed 9.3W from the frame itself, that puts it right back up there with the fastest aero bikes. The availability of what effectively are 35cm and 37cm bars is a bonus.

And if you aren’t serious about racing, then it’s not really prudent to buy a Madone, or buy the next size up in handlebars. You aren’t going to miss those watts anyway since you’re not racing.
So basically the new Madone is roughly aerodynamically a bit more efficient than the old rim brake Madone, if the Tour test data is valid. Fit the old Madone with modern cockpit and you're tied. Long live rim brakes Image

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

wolflikeme wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:49 pm
ABogle wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:18 pm
“That 19-watt number, that's the whole system: the rider and the bike. About 9.3 watts comes from the bike and then 9.7 watts from the position change on the new bike.”

Correct me if im wrong but this is some serious mental gymnastics. Unless im missing something couldn't spesh just stock their sl7 with a extra narrow bar and claim it was more aero? What if you are already coming from a very narrow bar? Additionally aero shouldn't trump fit especially for those who are not paid to race.

Anyway, its a lot lighter and they tried something different without compromising practically, if anything its better as you don't have to deal with servicing the isospeed.
Agreed 100%.
+2

I could not have imagined antoher company making more stupid areo claims than specialized but yet here we are.
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

dmbiscuit

by dmbiscuit

Bikerader video has the presenter weighing one of the Madones from the TDF at 8.3kg, which seems crazy heavy given the advertised weight by Trek. I don't think the slightly deeper wheels and paint are responsible for that number.

https://youtu.be/ZIa3vAB-6iA

cajer

by cajer

dmbiscuit wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:25 am
Bikerader video has the presenter weighing one of the Madones from the TDF at 8.3kg, which seems crazy heavy given the advertised weight by Trek. I don't think the slightly deeper wheels and paint are responsible for that number.

The bike weights quoted my manufacturers don't include pedals, bottle cages, spacer, computer mount, and likely bar tape and maybe even tubeless sealant.

So I can totally see it be 3-400g heavier in a rideable condition

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

cajer wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:11 am
dmbiscuit wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:25 am

The bike weights quoted my manufacturers don't include pedals, bottle cages, spacer, computer mount, and likely bar tape and maybe even tubeless sealant.

So I can totally see it be 3-400g heavier in a rideable condition

As someone who rides the current Madone SLR, I am skeptical of that Madone weighing 8.3kg. My 56cm weighs ~7.75kg with ENVE SES 5.6s (White Industries hubs), a 180g saddle, Vector 3s, cages, dual Blendr mount, etc. It also has the very heavy Molten Marble paint.

The presenter could have bodged the zeroing of that scale.

Trek’s claimed weights include literally everything on a fully assembled bicycle, so that means bar tape and the rim strip are included. That also includes the default 4cm in steerer spacers. In previous white papers they listed all individual component weights down to the assembly compounds used.