Sram Etap-AXS vs mechanical weight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

arcadia

by arcadia

Hi,
I was intending to find a sram red 22 mechanical, because of weight, but I am considering buying a sram red22 set, as a good deal is offered to me.
My problem is I don't kniw the cable plus housing weight, I took a look at several personnal bikes projects, and some in the "listing" category, but some are buldles, some by the meter, and I don't know if those are derailleur,brake, housing or cables as descriptions are hard to understand for me.
For a 2x 11 set, the sram red etap is very heavy, especially front derailleur
Shifters 260g
FD+ bat 187g
RD+bat 239g
total 686g
compared to sram 22 mechanical
shifters 280g
FD 79g
RD 145g
Cable, housing, 100g, 120g?!
Total 604-624g
But as I plan to use a 1x11, the differences are becoming a bit closer
499g for Etap, and 425g for the mechanical, all will depend on cable weight, as the rear derailler is demanding the longest cable and housing, probably 150cm + lenght.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I cannot help you on the weights. I assume if you plan on using a 1X that you would use a narrow wide ring which would eliminate the front derailleurs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arcadia

by arcadia

Yes, project is to get a 1x11, the best would be to get 9-10/34-38 cassette using a sram XD hub, the concern is getting light, but possible to put a 38 cassette, few options only...
Then, with, without cable, what weigh can I shave on the derailleur by sanding down, and replacing cage?! we will see.
ALso thinking what are th differences between sram red 11 and sram red 11 wifli, except the cage,if it's just the cage, that is interesting, maybe a specific cage could increase maximum cassette size.

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

Yeah full length housing and cable is roughly 50-75g depending on type, but if you go with something like Jagwire links for just the RD and don't run full housing you're looking at roughly 35-40g for mechanical RD cable and housing. Also you can remove the guts of the left shifter and that would save another 20-25g or so That should make it roughly 65g lighter than the etap option. Not sure if it's worth the hassle especially since etap 1x is so easy to setup and shifts great.
https://www.starbike.com/weightweenies/blog/?p=427

arcadia

by arcadia

the problem is the frame has internal routing, si I will probably have to make full housing on brakes, for sure, but if the described weight is accurate, maybe a 1x11 sram etam may be interesting.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

I have a Sram Red 22 groupset (but with eeBrakes) and it is a lot lighter than the Etap/AXS versions.

Here are the weights;

The shifters are tuned and the shifter hoods are shrink tubing.

arcadia

by arcadia

what is the rear shift cable and housing weight alone?
I'm sure the mechanical is the best option, as there is much lighter rear derailleur, and especially front derailleur, but I have opportunity to get a etap set, and I don't plan to use the front derailleur in a second time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com