Lighweight functional pedal options

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mathias720

by mathias720

Hello
I just Got a refund for a pair of xpedo thrust 11TI i was happy with the pedals function and weight but the squueked. I have the spd version aswell and first pair had bearing play after 1 month, now second pair of the spd is squeaking as well. Don't know if the quality of xpedo is bad or I'm unlucky.

As this I am a bit torn if to buy a new pair of xpedo thrust for my road bike or try something different. I was thinking of going speedplay and do all the aftermarket Titanium spindle and plate upgrades.
What other options should I consider?
Maybe looks with ti spindle upgrade?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lucendi

by Lucendi

The old generation Speedplays with all J&L titanium bits is a good option.

The new Wahoo Speedplay pedals are more difficult to work on and heavier. And they are also not serviceable with sealed bearings. :S

hannawald

by hannawald

Speedplays are light but cleats are heavy. So it depends if you want light because of weight saving or just light on paper:) And they make weird noises as well, especially when it is wet even though I use a special Speedplay lube. I have them for their low stack height - means my seatpost can be couple of mm lower.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

I've got the Thrust SL on my F12 and they squeak like crazy. I wonder if it's a quirk with the elastomer design or something inherent in all Xpedo pedals? Hopefully the Thrust 8 (spring design) doesn't have the same issue.

physeter

by physeter

Take a look yo Keywin pedals. Around 245 grams for pedals+cleats. Hughe contact area.

stevesbike

by stevesbike

I've gone through most of the options. Time xpro are good if you aren't picky about q-factor. Speedplay as a system don't end up being that WW. Speedplay also develop rocking, often the cleat will score the spindle, causing weak points and just feel like a beta product in need of refinement. Personally, I just end up with dura-ace - feel locked in with adequate float to avoid knee issues and they just work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

micky

by micky

physeter wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:16 pm
Take a look yo Keywin pedals. Around 245 grams for pedals+cleats. Hughe contact area.
And rather good price/weight compared to others.