New garmin product 1040edge, 840, 540

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Conza

by Conza

alanyu wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:50 pm
I'm wondering if there is any leak of the release of 540/840/solar line. I suppose no later than Q2 next year.
Also keenly waiting. 1040 just a tad too big imo.
It's all about the adventure :o .

defride

by defride

Funny, so much different user experience

I had an 800 for years, did everything I wanted except it req connection to upload. I didn't upgrade as I'd heard stories of unreliability and it just worked. Finaly the rubber seal for the power button failed followed soon after by the button itself.

How bad could it be, I bought a 530, nothing but trouble, each ride there was some sort of glitch, was having to record rides on the ph as back up for the first time. It froze on with unresponsive buttons before one ride, this req a reset, followed the instructions on the Garmin site and it worked. Was very surprised to see pages of work arounds for various bugs on the help site. It froze again, soon after, this time could hear the buttons working but blank screen. There was another work around on the Garmin site requiring connection to a computer but this time the fault wasn't resolved so back it went. Nothing but trouble for the less than 30 days I had it.

I bought a Karoo 2 and have been very happy with it. I haven't been troubled anymore than the Garmins in sunlight, non-issue for me, battery could be better. I don't ride big miles and charge after most rides so forgot battery life was an issue on a +200km ride recently including stops where it was left on, route guidance and a power meter on, I got 9hrs 21mins before it died with a couple of ks to go.

It's had a couple of glitches in the year I've had it, both sorted by on/off and no loss of data. The main bug is the Garmin Quarter Mount adaptor, that broke while riding and the unit hit the deck at 50 kmh and was run over by a car. The plastic case was cracked but the unit worked and no damage to the screen. Hammerhead were brilliant, new mount and case within a few days, no questions other than a feedback. Fantastic service.

Upshot on this Garmin thread, yes the newer units can be buggy, quite a few of those I ride with have moved away from Garmin as a result, a shame as on paper there'd be no reason too. I certainly wouldn't have. Hope the 40s are better

As for the competition, the Karoo 2 is tough and works well if you can get past the shortened battery life - just don't rely on the quarter mount adaptor if you live anywhere but super smooth roads

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Conza

by Conza

defride wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:33 pm
Finaly the rubber seal for the power button failed followed soon after by the button itself.
Happened to my 520. Can still turn it on with a sunglasses - leg.
:lol:
It's all about the adventure :o .

Aesch

by Aesch

How's navigation for you guys?
Whenever I try to navigate to an address it just randomly stops at some percentage of the calculation and then spits out "route calculation error". I've wiped the unit several times, removed and reinstalled the maps, etc.

Now I'm on my second unit(garmin exchanged it for this issue) and guess what: identical situation (and percentage where the calculations stop).

Can you navigate to addresses? Or?

Can't find much (no solutions anyway) about this online but the fact a brand new unit does exactly the same makes a hardware issue unlikely.

Beta 14.xx does not solve it

usr

by usr

Route calculation error is often caused by OSM content combining tags and geometry in some surprising way that's not wrong but rare and unexpected enough that Garmin engineers neither stumbled upon it nor proactively expected it. It's not impossible to have a bug in a navigation system like that that leaves the entire world unaffected except for one small region where an OSM contributor has a particular habit of documenting a certain road feature that isn't even technically wrong, but done in a different way by all others.

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

SO one or two web pages speculating Jan 2023 launch for the 840.
Anyone heard anything somewhere?
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

RDY

by RDY

Unlikely launch month IMO.

handler

by handler

First signs of the new Garmin Edge 840 Solar, priced at about 560 euros.

https://bike-rs.pl/pl/p/Licznik-rowerow ... -GPS/10497
Attachments
garmin.png

RDY

by RDY

The 1040 Solar can be had for 600 Euros in DE.

jayjay

by jayjay

This would probably be the RRP.
The RRP for the 1040 Solar is 750€ IIRC

alanyu

by alanyu

1040 solar, 600 eur street price, 750 RRP = 20% off
If 840 solar follows the discount, I will be in.

RDY

by RDY

RDY wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:01 pm
Having said this, if they think the Karoo 3 is likely to be a big improvement, it would make sense to launch the 840 ASAP. Karoo 3 launch window is supposedly April or early May.

handler

by handler

Where have you heard the Karoo 3 rumour? Any more info?
RDY wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:40 pm
RDY wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:01 pm
Having said this, if they think the Karoo 3 is likely to be a big improvement, it would make sense to launch the 840 ASAP. Karoo 3 launch window is supposedly April or early May.

RDY

by RDY

First SRAM dealers, then hinted at by YTers. Heard nothing about it whatsoever except when. But I'd consider it very unlikely that they don't eliminate the SIM card capability. Can't imagine SRAM will stick with that shitty mount either.

handler

by handler

Here is a very blurry photo what is rumoured to be the Karoo 3. The yellow button in the corner of the screen is the same of the current Karoo which makes it plausible. It looks a bit wider and thinner with much smaller bezels.

3CA86E31-8892-4A6B-A1A5-83F2962E0BCE.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com