New garmin product 1040edge, 840, 540

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

usr

by usr

jlok wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:54 pm

They also need to work on the hardware. USB-C port that stop charging / provide loud warning when the port is wet (try that with a Samsung phone and you'll be presented with a loud warning); change to Garmin style mount completely or make that adaptor plate won't break anymore. (seriously, why invent their own mounting tab when the Garmin style is so popular... licensing issue?)
No, not licencing, a *huge* shit show with what felt like more devices breaking tabs than not on the original Karoo that had the Garmin tabs. Keep in mind that even Garmin themselves are opting for aluminum tabs in the 1040, and the Karoo 1 was much heavier.

usr

by usr

ultimobici wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:21 pm
Why would it be 3 SKU's? Garmin offers each model in 3 versions, Head Unit, Bundle & MTB, which would each require an individual SKU. I would be surprised if Garmin don't offer solar on both.
EDIT: cyclry.com has a leak article showing evidence of all four variations, looks like you're right and the "3 new edge" predictions were wrong (and it proposes a 16GB/32GB split not between non-solar and solar but between the 540s and the 840s, which seems a bit like they are *again* missing the "glove-wearing globetrotter" use case that I'd expect to be the main audience for the 540 solar)

That's speculation by people who analyze Garmin FCC registrations even more than I do. Garmin products usually (always I think) appear in the public parts of the FCC database a few months before release (listed under company code IPH), usually without revealing the product name (there habe been exceptions). But certain details allow speculation, e.g. watches with payment will have NFC frequencies, Edges won't. You can usually spot the watches (even those workout pay), the tiny devices (HRM and the like) and the big rack mount things (e.g. nautical stuff), what remains are candidates for being an edge. The number three has been circulating for quite a while, but that rumor was always assuming that it's a 540, 840 and 840 solar (as in cheap, mid-range, slightly above mid-range, completely ignoring that many off-grid people prefer buttons)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomtom

by tomtom

Hopefully the screen will be a little bigger (the computer itself is.....)!
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

mag

by mag

Nope, same 2.6" screen.
What's also disappointing is the size of the solar panel on all these devices. They have so huge bezels yet that solar panel is very tiny. So much wasted space...

Aeo

by Aeo

Battery life is boring and a non-issue. I want higher GPS sample rate for nicer tracks. Garmin tracks are possibly the ugliest and coarsest between the head unit brands
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Aeo wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:05 pm
Battery life is boring and a non-issue. I want higher GPS sample rate for nicer tracks. Garmin tracks are possibly the ugliest and coarsest between the head unit brands

Make sure you have 1s recording on. FIT files only have 1Hz resolution anyway. What I have noticed is that all head units have accuracy issues under certain conditions.

For example, metal out-front mounts are worse than plastic or carbon.
Devices with radios mounted directly underneath on a combo mount also hurt accuracy. GoPros, Fly12s, ANT+ enabled lights, etc.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

When they get their UI into the current space, then I might consider a Garmin again, but for some reason their non-touch screens remain in the 1900's re this issue

:noidea:

ave

by ave

I am still using my now 15 years old Edge 705. I had replaced the battery a few times, and even the case once, but otherwise it's working fine.
But finding GPS lock sometimes takes minutes, so I started to look around what to replace it with..
My hope is in this new 540, but I don't think I'll like it that much. :)
Obviously I don't care much about any features except good position tracking and good battery life.

btw. also a funny new feature of my 705 is time travel. :) After entering a GPS blocking building the clock usually jumps forward a few years. For example the 2042 Ghent-Wevelgem was great!

abLEmiaB

by abLEmiaB

My 510 takes so long too. I had a new record yesterday: 9km before a lock on a bright sunny day. It makes me have not much faith getting a new 540/840.

jlok

by jlok

The 1040 GPS is excellent and the 540/840 are expected to be the same.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

petal666

by petal666

abLEmiaB wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:35 am
My 510 takes so long too. I had a new record yesterday: 9km before a lock on a bright sunny day. It makes me have not much faith getting a new 540/840.
Trying to get a GPS lock while moving is always going to take longer that if you wait to get a lock before rolling out.

abLEmiaB

by abLEmiaB

Yes I know. Just got off the bike now and it was 8km. I have waited for many minutes before leaving before but who has time to wait 10 minutes before starting, especially when the Garmin wants to turn off from lack of activity.

Konsi

by Konsi

abLEmiaB wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:59 am
Yes I know. Just got off the bike now and it was 8km. I have waited for many minutes before leaving before but who has time to wait 10 minutes before starting, especially when the Garmin wants to turn off from lack of activity.
The 510 is a decade old. I don't see the relevance for the thread here. Or are you also complaining that your iPhone 5 doesn't support 5G?

abLEmiaB

by abLEmiaB

And yet if I search for 520 and 530 GPS lock issues the problem still affects people. So yeah, I want a new 540 or 840 head unit if it solves that problem but if it doesn't I'm throwing money away.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

njleach wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:20 am
Garmin Edge 840 Solar Features
(...)

- Simplified setup and a streamlined interface make it quick and easy to access the information, courses and tools you need and even adjust data fields right from the Edge device or from your paired smartphone

(...)
Am I reading this correctly that users will be able to set up/change their data screens from their phone (similar to e.g. Wahoo)? If this is correct it's a paradigm shift from Garmin.