I can't get this to work.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ms6073

by ms6073

Might help if you took a few minutes to read about DCR technology. Take a look at the DCR Tech page for some PDF referrences. It sounds to me like you need the upper headset split ring that will work with your bars which may require purchasing a new upper headset assembly, alternately a complete FSA ACR headset.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Steve Curtis wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:39 pm
ghostinthemachine wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 1:28 pm
Do you just need to bite the bullet and buy and entire front end?
Headset with all the correct inserts, plus bar/stem combo to match.

Or just lose the pins. I doubt they're needed once everything is right.
The pins need to remain as they allow everything to rotate together and keep the cable gap allighned to the front.
Hard to explain.
They don't. Bearing preload squashing the rough plastic surfaces together allows everything to rotate together and keep the cable gap aligned to the front. The pins just make it easier to perfectly align the spacers for cosmetic reasons before they're preloaded.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

^^^ this, i'm pretty sure the pins are simply an alignment aid. Not there to transmit torque.

ABogle

by ABogle

This is in no way whatsoever helpful, but I feel for you and I hate this moronic trend of over complicating everything for the sake of 'progress'. This gimmick of hidden cables offers nothing, yet calling it a gimmick is unfair to other gimmicks, the brands dont even bother bullshitting about how many watts it doesn't save, a monument to stupidity.

MarshMellow

by MarshMellow

ABogle wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 11:09 am
This is in no way whatsoever helpful, but I feel for you and I hate this moronic trend of over complicating everything for the sake of 'progress'. This gimmick of hidden cables offers nothing, yet calling it a gimmick is unfair to other gimmicks, the brands dont even bother bullshitting about how many watts it doesn't save, a monument to stupidity.
Lucky guess.
RimClencher wrote:
Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:56 am
That's your own fault for riding with no clothes on.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ABogle wrote:
Thu Jan 01, 1970 1:02 am
This gimmick of hidden cables offers nothing, yet calling it a gimmick is unfair to other gimmicks, the brands dont even bother bullshitting about how many watts it doesn't save, a monument to stupidity.
Aesthetics isn't a gimmick, it's a fundamental part of consumer product design. The brands aren't bullshitting about watt saving anymore because they've realised that the vast majority of people who want hidden cables want them because they think it looks cool.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Karvalo wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 12:57 pm
Aesthetics isn't a gimmick, it's a fundamental part of consumer product design. The brands aren't bullshitting about watt saving anymore because they've realised that the vast majority of people who want hidden cables want them because they think it looks cool.
This.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

MarshMellow

by MarshMellow

mrlobber wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 1:29 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 12:57 pm
This.
Only major-gripe to it is no longer being able to easily pack a bike for travel into a case. Also is how it apparently erases memory of how a bicycle used to work...
RimClencher wrote:

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Nobody said better aesthetics always makes functionality better ;) In many cases, it is the opposite, and happens in many industries.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

MarshMellow

by MarshMellow

mrlobber wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 1:33 pm
Nobody said better aesthetics always makes functionality better ;) In many cases, it is the opposite, and happens in many industries.
Ford God's sake tho - are other industries creating zombified humans no longer able to grasp the function of a basic nut and bolt assembly? Egads - unless this other industry is the TV/Film industry and about an under-margin hardware store run by a family of brain-starved zombies, I fail to find an example that's comparable here... 25 years in 'the industry' and it's this? Someone must need that Vacation week...
RimClencher wrote:

ABogle

by ABogle

mrlobber wrote:
Exactly as is the case here. I think this is too far, this aesthetic gain has come at a significant cost to function, never mind the insane amount of recalls over this idiotic endeavour. This has no place on consumer bikes.

It looks cool - well I can't argue against that.

Maddie

by Maddie

If you want integration, this is what you have to deal with. If integration is too much of a struggle, look elsewhere. So many options still available

Karvalo

by Karvalo

MarshMellow wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 1:45 pm
mrlobber wrote:
Ford God's sake tho - are other industries creating zombified humans no longer able to grasp the function of a basic nut and bolt assembly?
Ha :lol: Trust me, there are plenty of humans out there who have never been able to grasp the simple concept of headset preload regardless of where any of the cables go.