What to use to dampen internally routed hydraulic cables?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

biwa

by biwa

Do you guys use some sort of foam wrap around hydraulic cables inside the frame to reduce the rattle? If so, what do you use? I've seen these Jagwire ones: https://jagwire.com/products/small-part ... ing-damper, but reviews suggest the installation is a pain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kervelo

by kervelo

I use the Capgo too. Very easy to install when routing the hydraulic lines inside the frame.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

I've used the Jagwire; didn't think it was difficult to use at all.

biwa

by biwa

How did you guys get these cables through the routing port on certain frames? Their OD usually end up quite a bit larger than the port itself.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

First route the cable thru the headtube, then install the foam tubing. Then u can route it through the ports

ms6073

by ms6073

I think the comments in reviews about difficulties installing relate to when you apply the damper. My C64 included the Jagwire internal hose damper tubes and the guide that came with the framset indicated to insert the brake hose into the frame then slide the damper hose over the brake hose which is very tedious. Things typically go smoother if you insert the brake hose into the damper then insert the brake hose into the frame. While I can't speak to the other product linked above, the Jagwire tube does not easily just 'slide' on all the way as I found once past ~10-15 cm of insertion, I had to start pulling the lead edge of the tubing a couple cm's than snug up the tail end and suspect that it would have been a lot easier to use a brake cable wire fed through the brake hose which would have provided a means of 'pulling' the brake hose through the damper hose.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

biwa

by biwa

robbosmans wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:33 pm
First route the cable thru the headtube, then install the foam tubing. Then u can route it through the ports
Ah, I assume this means you detach the cable from the shifter during installation, in which case you can probably also do it from the BB shell if you haven't installed the BB.

kode54

by kode54

The Jagwire dampner is pretty decent. Not necessary to get a good fitment...and its okay if the Hydro hose is loose within the dampner (easier to slide into it).
I use a few bits including putting a small section of dampner in the chain stays as well as the down tube. No noise whatsoever.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AC0

by AC0

Use some silicone spray lube in the foam tube before sliding the hydraulic hose through. I would do this at the bottom bracket. It's also easier if installing from the front (i.e hose is pre-installed on the shifter) than from the rear (pre-installed on the caliper).

Sent from my SM-G996W using Tapatalk