SuperSix EVO frame stripping

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Maddie

by Maddie

That looks really good. Keep going :-)

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Looking good so far! Great work!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

charirider

by charirider

Downtube is done! Haven't found anything concerning under the paint so far, just some filler.
Speaking of it, it is greyish white while dry, when wet during sanding it becames almost completely transparent, when just coated with Aerospace 303 it has the same color as carbon fiber (see attached photo of the fork). Also, it becames less noticeable with time (evaporates?)
Also, I have developed sanding technique that boosts productivity significantly. I start with 180 grit on a clear coat, once it's off, I switch to 240 grit and sanding the paint until it becames thin and I could see some white base coat under it, then I switch to 320 grit, sanding the paint and black primer off the carbon.
Also, wet sanding only. Messy, but safe for the frame and LUNGS.
Attachments
B73D0D21-2F98-49F4-9676-D90BAAB359FD.jpeg
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

GGDoomed

by GGDoomed

charirider wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:23 pm
Downtube is done! Haven't found anything concerning under the paint so far, just some filler.
Speaking of it, it is greyish white while dry, when wet during sanding it becames almost completely transparent, when just coated with Aerospace 303 it has the same color as carbon fiber (see attached photo of the fork). Also, it becames less noticeable with time (evaporates?)
Also, I have developed sanding technique that boosts productivity significantly. I start with 180 grit on a clear coat, once it's off, I switch to 240 grit and sanding the paint until it becames thin and I could see some white base coat under it, then I switch to 320 grit, sanding the paint and black primer off the carbon.
Also, wet sanding only. Messy, but safe for the frame and LUNGS.
Godspeed.
I recently sanded down a frame, started with 320 grit to get the fun started, then 400, 600 and eventually up to 800 grit. Wet only.
Messy is the right word to describe it and I reckon I spent a good 30h on stripping the frame, nearly lost my mind with all the tiny detailed spaces.
I wish you luck ! :beerchug:
FINISHED : Cube Litening C:68X S

charirider

by charirider

Toptube is finished; top junction and seattube next, then seatstays, chainstays and bb area.
Should finish in a week or so, I hope...
Alao, yesterday got a nice pair of Zipp 202s, 2018 model, to complete this climbing build!
Attachments
80FB563C-D57A-4386-A02A-A14106BAB90E.jpeg

charirider

by charirider

Small update, but not terms of time required.
Took me 2 full evenings to finish the area at quadruple junction and rear brake mount.
Good news: no voids found.
Still a lot job left: lower part of seatstays, chainstays, seattube and bb shell area.
Attachments
8E5DC5D0-423D-47A0-B2B5-9C7D7BFD734A.jpeg
Last edited by charirider on Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

charirider

by charirider

And finally... stripped!
Photo is of a stripped frame finished with 800grit sandpaper. Will add 303 later.
I like how it came out, no voids or imperfections were found, not too much filler, looking as I expexted.
But, it was a HELL of a job. Wet sanding only, frame alone took around 30 hours, plus 6-8 hours for the fork. In my busy schedule it took 3(!!!) month to complete this project. And I still have to apply decals, polish it with Aerospace 303, and assemble complete bicycle.
Messy, time-consuming, dull and hard work.
And what made it worse, my SS EVO was neon (green) color, which is hardest to remove, with white being second hardest; so I had to remove clear coat, a multiple layers of paint, white base coat, and black primer. Wouldn't do this again.
Better to find pro paint stripping shop that uses sanding chamber with cherry pellets, and get the job done in 30min, I would better pay than suffer.
Will post weights shortly!
Attachments
646F6C37-D31C-4923-9E12-CE1AE2BEB308.jpeg

GGDoomed

by GGDoomed

charirider wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:33 pm
And finally... stripped!
Photo is of a stripped frame finished with 800grit sandpaper. Will add 303 later.
I like how it came out, no voids or imperfections were found, not too much filler, looking as I expexted.
But, it was a HELL of a job. Wet sanding only, frame alone took around 30 hours, plus 6-8 hours for the fork. In my busy schedule it took 3(!!!) month to complete this project. And I still have to apply decals, polish it with Aerospace 303, and assemble complete bicycle.
And what made it worse, my SS EVO was neon (green) color, which is hardest to remove, with white being second hardest; so I had to remove clear coat, a multiple layers of paint, white base coat, and black primer. Wouldn't do this again.
Better to find pro paint stripping shop that uses sanding chamber with cherry pellets, and get the job done in 30min, I would better pay than suffer.
Kudos on completing the process! I find your journey relatable, having just done the same also laboriously all by hand.
After it was all said and done, I realized there's a paint shop with a sanding booth 5km away. For next project :wink:
You'll only finish with 303?
No clear coat?

charirider

by charirider

GGDoomed wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:30 am
charirider wrote:
And finally... stripped!
Kudos on completing the process! I find your journey relatable, having just done the same also laboriously all by hand.
After it was all said and done, I realized there's a paint shop with a sanding booth 5km away. For next project :wink:
No clear coat?
Congrats on completeing! Only weightweenies who did full frameset stripping by hand understand what it takes!
Regarding coating; I want that Appleman or Parlee boutique raw carbon look... so no clear coat, only 303. I ride in fair weather only anyway...
P.S. I also want a shop with sanding booth nearbuy, but already decided to try Ti frame next, which has no coat by default.

Lucendi

by Lucendi

I highly recommend clear coating the frame.

I have some special 2K polyurethane clear coat that you apply with a sponge that will add a total of 5-10 grams to the entire frame and fork.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Lucendi wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:12 am
I highly recommend clear coating the frame.

I have some special 2K polyurethane clear coat that you apply with a sponge that will add a total of 5-10 grams to the entire frame and fork.
Hi, can you post some details of the product you use please. I use spraymax 2k which I like, but open to other options.
303 is absolutely garbage, so a simple to use wipe on coating could be the best of both worlds.

Thanks
Last edited by Steve Curtis on Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

Last edited by Steve Curtis on Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

Lucendi

by Lucendi

@ Steve Curtis

I sent you a PM with links to the products and instructions of how to use them.

The products are not meant for this and the application instructions are my own.

GGDoomed

by GGDoomed

charirider wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:07 am
GGDoomed wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:30 am
charirider wrote:
And finally... stripped!
No clear coat?
Congrats on completeing! Only weightweenies who did full frameset stripping by hand understand what it takes!
Regarding coating; I want that Appleman or Parlee boutique raw carbon look... so no clear coat, only 303. I ride in fair weather only anyway...
P.S. I also want a shop with sanding booth nearbuy, but already decided to try Ti frame next, which has no coat by default.
Thanks and I'll upload my 'journey' on the intro-page in the next few days, it was something :)
If you're able to get away with only 303, go for it.
Ride safe!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com