Is R8000/8050 just a loud drivetrain?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AW84

by AW84

I've got R8050 on two bikes: both 11-30, one 53/39, one 52/36. I've had new cassettes, old cassettes, new chains, worn chains, different lubes, and no matter what I do, about 3-4 random, non-sequential gears are just loud as all get-out, right at the cassette and/or jockey wheels. And it may just be in my mind because it doesn't sound smooth, but it seems like there is drag on the drivertrain in those gears.

When I say non-sequential, I mean it's not any two gears that are next to each other, which makes it puzzling, because if it was simply a micro-adjustment problem, then it would be clickety-clackety in every gear, or get louder and quieter as it sweeps across the cassette. I want to say it's the 13, 15, and 21 tooth sprockets, and if the chain and cassette are well lubed it's only really loud while in the big ring. I have, time and again, put it into the loud gears while riding, switched to adjustment mode, and worked across the entire micro-adjustment range, and it never gets any quieter. Cassette is also torqued.

I'm at a loss, other than just calling it a loud drivetrain and accepting it as it is.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

Alot of it depends on multiple factors such as chain stay length, chain line, tolerance of bb to rear axle, hanger straightness and so on.

My tcr 2021 with full stock shimano setup is pretty much as silent as it can get.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

The 11sp Shimano chains are noisy. You could give the 12sp chain a try - they are much quieter. Quite a number of folks on here are using 12sp chains on 11sp Shimano drive chains and reporting much quieter drivetrains.