Changing Campagnolo disc brake caliper

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilwil

by wilwil

I want to change my rear caliper and disc to 140 mm. Why is not possible to buy the cailper without the shifter?

velocipedeimp

by velocipedeimp

wilwil wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:06 pm
I want to change my rear caliper and disc to 140 mm. Why is not possible to buy the cailper without the shifter?

Because they ddon't want people to use they calipers or levers with other levers or calipers. They are designed arounf their system and fluid. Their system uses a specific amount of fluid to work properly. Not everyone will use the same amount (Hope, Shimano, Magura, SRAM, etc). So mixing and matching can cause issues and by only selling it as a lever and caliper together, it avoids problems. UNfortunately many people will mix and match, have a problem and blame it on the main brand, in this case, Campagnolo. When it's not their (Campy's) fault the user took and used non-branded parts. And then the user gets pissed and bad-mouths Campagnolo for not warrantying the parts, when they shouldn't.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wilwil

by wilwil

velocipedeimp wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 2:59 am
wilwil wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:06 pm

Because they ddon't want people to use they calipers or levers with other levers or calipers. They are designed arounf their system and fluid. Their system uses a specific amount of fluid to work properly. Not everyone will use the same amount (Hope, Shimano, Magura, SRAM, etc). So mixing and matching can cause issues and by only selling it as a lever and caliper together, it avoids problems. UNfortunately many people will mix and match, have a problem and blame it on the main brand, in this case, Campagnolo. When it's not their (Campy's) fault the user took and used non-branded parts. And then the user gets pissed and bad-mouths Campagnolo for not warrantying the parts, when they shouldn't.
Speechless

velocipedeimp

by velocipedeimp

Sorry. It's just the way it is. Campagnolo is picky like that. They don't want problems. They've only had 1 kind of issue the last ten-ish years (front der tab). And they fixed that as a running change. VS SRAM who's had dozens of issues over the last decade. Shimano is the same with ongoing warranty issues. Campy doesn't have that problem. And one way to avoid that is keeping things close.

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news. But I will say if you bought the brakes from a bike shop, they might help you out. I would've for my clients.

velocipedeimp

by velocipedeimp

Not sure what they're selling, but the UPC/SKU and Stock numbers aren't from Campagnolo. I have the Spares List and those aren't real numbers from Campy. Unless they took lever/caliper kits and split them up, those aren't the Spares from Campy. Which is probably why they list them as limited availability. Those wouldn't be covered under warranty if anything happened.

wilwil

by wilwil

velocipedeimp wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:49 pm

Not sure what they're selling, but the UPC/SKU and Stock numbers aren't from Campagnolo. I have the Spares List and those aren't real numbers from Campy. Unless they took lever/caliper kits and split them up, those aren't the Spares from Campy. Which is probably why they list them as limited availability. Those wouldn't be covered under warranty if anything happened.
Im in UK and that looks like the old style calliper.

wilwil

by wilwil

velocipedeimp wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:37 am
Sorry. It's just the way it is. Campagnolo is picky like that. They don't want problems. They've only had 1 kind of issue the last ten-ish years (front der tab). And they fixed that as a running change. VS SRAM who's had dozens of issues over the last decade. Shimano is the same with ongoing warranty issues. Campy doesn't have that problem. And one way to avoid that is keeping things close.

Sorry for being the bearer of bad news. But I will say if you bought the brakes from a bike shop, they might help you out. I would've for my clients.
I wonder whats going to happen to all those brand new unwanted shifters.

velocipedeimp

by velocipedeimp

wilwil wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:04 pm
velocipedeimp wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:37 am

I wonder whats going to happen to all those brand new unwanted shifters.

They might have used them for bike builds or to replace damaged ones that weren't under warranty. It's not an uncommon thing to scavenge parts from something for another. I try not to do it, but back in the day, oh man did we do that a ton. We'd end up with half dozen bikes on the floor missing parts cause we were trying to get a bike out of the repair dept. In this case, if the person broke a lever or something and it's not avaialble or under warranty, just take a kit out of inventory, sell the parts separately. Still making money, sometimes more, and the customer is on the road again. And given levers are going to break before a caliper, i wouldn't be surprised if this is the case.

velocipedeimp

by velocipedeimp

wilwil wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:01 pm
velocipedeimp wrote:

Since you are in the UK, you can reach out to Velotech Cycling Ltd (Campy Service Center) and see what they say, if they're willing to help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

wilwil wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:01 pm
velocipedeimp wrote:

Yes. You used to be able to buy the caliper. I had to do that when I set up my H11 system.
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR