New Roval Rapide CLX II

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

poppiholla wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:01 am
Yesterday my new roval Rapide CLX 2 wheelset was deliverd. Super cool, but what a struggle to mount the tires to this rims. I am pretty good with mounting tyres and I had zero problems with wheels that I have. I also have zero problems with the Roval CL50 wheels. Mounting a set of Conti 5000s 28mm on the CLX 2 was a real struggle. I also tried the Specialized turbo coton's 26mm and that was a little bit easier but not much. Both I used Tubolito S inner tubes. I have blisters all over my hands. Do you have the same experience with the roval CLX or CLX 2 wheels?
The Cyclingtips podcast also mentioned difficulties mounting GP5000s to the CLX2's if memory serves. Conti's generally appear to be more difficult on tighter rims than your average tyre.
This board would be a nicer place if everyone would take themselves less seriously.

I almost miss Mr Search...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

poppiholla

by poppiholla

Thanks for the reply. I useally change tyres within minutes, but this Conti 500S with CLX 2 combo was a real struggle. That was really bad for my ego and myy hands. ;-)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

YH0

by YH0

I had a pair of roval C38 and it was pretty hard to mount the contingp5000 too. Maybe it is something related to the tubeless feature. With my roval clx50 it is much easier to get the tyre mounted.

jj911c2

by jj911c2

I just put a set of Michelin Power Cup TLR 25s on a CLX 2 and they went on w/o levers. The front is harder because the external rim is so wide. The CLX "2" is easier than the "1" as I think they reduced the diameter slightly.

Sace

by Sace

I tried mounting a set of GP 5000S on my Rapide CL (which should be the same as CLX rim wise). It was a pain and I ended up mounting the original GP5000 instead as I need to be able to fix a flat. Seems like it's the same situation with these "new" wheels.

Bregantium

by Bregantium

As we are talking Rovals... I was running Rapide CLX Gen 1 on a Tarmac SL7 build I purchased in 2022. The front wheel often made some clinging noise after breaking. Then I had a spoke failure on that front wheel when breaking before a very fast downhill corner. Not great but not the end of the world either.

Instead of fixing the spoke and trueing the wheel, my bike shop supplied me with a new front wheel on Roval Warranty. Fine by me. Problem solved I thought.

Now, one year later I experienced another spoke breaking on the front wheel, again gently breaking into a corner on a short downhill road. Do you guys also experience occasional spoke breaking on those stock Roval wheels?

Yesterday I removed the wheel, the tyre and TPU tube as I planned to ask lokal wheel builder to replace the spoke and check tensions all around.
-> I then noticed the rim tape being different, that front wheel it is tubeless reaedy version Rapide II which I wasnt aware of.

That Gen 2 front wheel might have nice ceramic bearing but comes in at 678 weighed grams (incl. tape) on my kitchen scale. How many grams heavier are the Gen 2 rims in front and back? Is the added 100g on the set mostly the rear rim or is it ca 50/50 grams added?

I am starting to get thoughts of selling the Rapides altogether and getting some individual build with Duke Rims instead - whats your thoughts on that swap? Riding lots of hills and long mountain climbs anyway.