105 2x12 - R7170 (R7150) / R7120 (R7100) - di2 / mechanical (MY2024)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nooski

by nooski

RDY wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:55 pm
I see absolutely no point to them doing 105 12s mechanical, especially without complementary Ultegra.
There will be 12sp mechanical 105
Dum spiro spero
my bike: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=130302

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ritxis

by Ritxis

nooski wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:09 am
RDY wrote:
I see absolutely no point to them doing 105 12s mechanical, especially without complementary Ultegra.
mechanical for disc and rim brake? or just for disc?

nooski

by nooski

Ritxis wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:17 am
nooski wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 7:09 am
RDY wrote:
mechanical for disc and rim brake? or just for disc?
Good question but so far I can confirm only disc variant, hopefully rim version will be also available.
Dum spiro spero
my bike: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=130302

robertbb

by robertbb

SystemShock wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:52 pm
2023?? LOL. :roll:

If you want 12-speed mechanical, Campy just keeps looking better and better...
Zactly. And you get a way better product to boot.

Nickldn

by Nickldn

robertbb wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:13 am
SystemShock wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:52 pm
2023?? LOL. :roll:

If you want 12-speed mechanical, Campy just keeps looking better and better...
Zactly. And you get a way better product to boot.
Got to say that as a Chorus 12s mechanical disc owner I recently rode 105 R7000 11s mechanical (goes without saying) disc on a hire bike in Majorca (lots of descents) and it was very good, especially the FD shifting. Braking was good too. No problems with fade for me. Judging by this performance I expect R7100 12s will be a strong product.

Wouldn't swap tho, Campy makes me feel special every time I ride. :)
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

SystemShock

by SystemShock

Nothing against 105... but if the choice is gonna be 105 vs Chorus for 12-speed mech, well, Chorus is gonna win that one pretty easily pour moi. 105 is competent, but not sexy.

And I'm not even a Campy-head. :hmm:

robertbb

by robertbb

Even if the two are equal on quality, weight, price and performance (which is what I'd expect) it's the Campy mechanical lever ergonomics and the speed of Ultra-shift that have won me over since the introduction of 11 speed (rim brake). That ergonomic advantage is even more pronounced on disc levers. Every time I rode or even just wrapped my hands around Shimano mechanical levers they just felt crude and agricultural by comparison.

Talking about mechanical of course.

If Shimano improves the ergonomics of their mechanical levers with 105, the gap (in my mind) will be much closer. No doubt Shimano front shifting performance and the discreet form factor of their derailleurs are nice features.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

SystemShock wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:35 am
Nothing against 105... but if the choice is gonna be 105 vs Chorus for 12-speed mech, well, Chorus is gonna win that one pretty easily pour moi. 105 is competent, but not sexy.

And I'm not even a Campy-head. :hmm:
105 and Chorus are not in the same league. 105 is mainly for complete bikes. I don't know how many bikes available today at shops have Chorus, though maybe common in Italy. If you build your own and need a groupset alone, better off buying something higher or sexer than 105. Lastly, Chorus ties with Ultegra, according to Campagnolo.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

Given that a Chorus 12 speed groupset literally costs twice as much as the current 105 groupset then frankly it should be a better product.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

robertbb wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:53 am
Even if the two are equal on quality, weight, price and performance (which is what I'd expect) it's the Campy mechanical lever ergonomics and the speed of Ultra-shift that have won me over since the introduction of 11 speed (rim brake). That ergonomic advantage is even more pronounced on disc levers. Every time I rode or even just wrapped my hands around Shimano mechanical levers they just felt crude and agricultural by comparison.

Talking about mechanical of course.

If Shimano improves the ergonomics of their mechanical levers with 105, the gap (in my mind) will be much closer. No doubt Shimano front shifting performance and the discreet form factor of their derailleurs are nice features.
Campy fnas you "forget" to mention one thing about their shifters..........the trigger to lower crowns......
in Shimano and Sram it can be lowered with several fingers, including the little finger and without having to move your hand from the lever... you grip it normally or more towards the tip....in Campy only with the thumb and without reaching the trigger in a less natural way than with Sram and Shimano
descarga.jpg
descarga.jpg (5.84 KiB) Viewed 3206 times

XCProMD

by XCProMD

“Lower crowns”… proper the day after the Queen Speech without Lizzy

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

SystemShock

by SystemShock

Cemicar wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 6:33 am
SystemShock wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 1:35 am

And I'm not even a Campy-head. :|
105 and Chorus are not in the same league. 105 is mainly for complete bikes.

I don't know how many bikes available today at shops have Chorus, though maybe [it's] common in Italy. If you build your own and need a groupset alone, better off buying something higher or sexier than 105.

Lastly, Chorus ties with Ultegra, according to Campagnolo.
All the more reason for Shimano to eventually release Ultegra 12-speed mechanical, if they wish to remain at all competitive in that segment of the market.

If 105 is going to be their top 12-speed mech group, then they're just simply going to be outclassed by Campy there. :noidea:

The common response to that is, "Shimano doesn't care, 'cuz the mech market is basically NON-EXISTENT!". Which is overstating things...it may be mostly true for the 'price is no object' crowd, aka ppl at the Dura Ace/Super Record level, but as you move down the price scale, I think you start to find more and more ppl who aren't really stoked to pay the e-shifting premium.

Are those ppl still a minority? Probably, but not to the point where you'd want to ignore them... unless the entire idea is to drag everyone you possibly can into paying quite a lot more for components and bikes. :hmm:

I'm not a fan of such 'demand-shaping' being done by industry. But if you're gonna do it, might as well not pussyfoot around. Go ahead and make everything above entry-level electronic, and then, just to be sure, make your entry-level mech stuff really, really lame and sub-par. :(

And then the ppl left who don't wanna 'get with the program' will just flip Shimano the bird and go buy Campy, or boutique or old-school used components.
Last edited by SystemShock on Wed May 11, 2022 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shiny

by Shiny

Supposedly available from 04/23 on some bikes. Pricing at this stage is said to be around €3500 for 105 Di2 Carbon bike.(Depending on the brand). So pricing should be very similar to Rival AXS.

Btw, I also heard rumours about a 12s GRX coming soon(ish), not sure whether that has been mentioned anywhere

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

as a campy fan, it's actually abit sad to see Chorus line that used to be positioned as DA level (price was between DA and ULT, but chorus sure preforms alot closer to SR/R than ULT 6800 to 9000) then degraded to be seen as Ultegra level, and now even being compared with 105.... lol. oh well...

i guess some people only look at the price, some poeple only look at the number of tiers and start jumping to conclusion. abit like trying to compare second tier Ferrari to second tier Nissan...

admittedly, for 12 speed, Campy did reduce the price/market placement to better align with ultegra price. (brake levers no longer carbon for example).
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bedampft

by bedampft

Shiny wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:58 am
Supposedly available from 04/23 on some bikes. Pricing at this stage is said to be around €3500 for 105 Di2 Carbon bike.(Depending on the brand). So pricing should be very similar to Rival AXS.

Btw, I also heard rumours about a 12s GRX coming soon(ish), not sure whether that has been mentioned anywhere
Yes, GRX 825 is coming also vor 2023.
At the moment, cheapest Carbon Bikes with R7150 will start at around €2500,-, at least for my brands.