Lightest Aero Rim Brake Frameset?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Refresh my memory, what was it? I'm happy with my Fuji Transonic SL but was thinking of treating myself if the right frame pops up used (I can't imagine I'ĺl be lucky enough to find NOS.
My guess is the top spec Scott Foil in it's final rim brake version.

Maddie

by Maddie

Canyon Aeroad SLX rim is a very good frame but not easy to find.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamraymond

by iamraymond

The Canyon Aeroad CF SLX was the lightest aero frame a few years ago before discs took over. Around 950g.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Felt AR FRD. That one could be built to 6.2-6.3 kg (Imaking had it here, but when he left, deleted/edited all his posts), and in Tour testing, was 2nd to S5 only.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

not your typical aero shaping frame, but Scott Foil in HMX (is there an HMX-SL version for rim?) is definitely an aero frame and on the lighter side. reportedly on WW 920g.
Some say pour 10ml water out of your bottle to save that last bit of the weight. Sorry, i go one step further, i tend to the rider off my bikes. :thumbup:
n+1...14 last time i checked, but i lost count :mrgreen:

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Sarto still make the Lampo in rim brake if you want a brand new frame.

Visus

by Visus

My 2017 Scott Foil Rim in the top spec HMX version (color black-green), size L/56 measured
1066g frame with bottleholder screws
370g fork uncut

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The older Madone 7's (especially if you can find it with the Vapor Coat) weigh in at 725g (size 56). The problem with that bike are the brakes. The Trek brakes, well, suck, and the Shimano brakes are good, but heavy. I don't think you can find a direct mount brake that fits the recess in the front, other than those two options, and for the rear (under the BB), I never found much of a problem with braking, even in wet environments, but again, you're limited to Trek's unimpressive offering, or Shimano's (which aren't light, by any stretch).

mechkbfan

by mechkbfan

What did you end up going with?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

2nd gen 56cm S5 rim was 1,055g IIRC.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

mechkbfan wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 11:10 am
What did you end up going with?
Some good suggestions here that I'll start looking for in size 60 but nothing with as much weight loss as i was hoping for. My Transonic SL only looks to give up 150-200g to the lightest frames. The other aspects I'd be looking to improve would be a steeper seat tube or non-setback post and chainstay rather than seatstay brake to eliminate rub under power.

ehlpitel

by ehlpitel

FIJIGabe wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 4:02 pm
The older Madone 7's (especially if you can find it with the Vapor Coat) weigh in at 725g (size 56). The problem with that bike are the brakes. The Trek brakes, well, suck, and the Shimano brakes are good, but heavy. I don't think you can find a direct mount brake that fits the recess in the front, other than those two options, and for the rear (under the BB), I never found much of a problem with braking, even in wet environments, but again, you're limited to Trek's unimpressive offering, or Shimano's (which aren't light, by any stretch).
I love mine- it's not WW'd out in it's current form but with a mixutre of R9100/R8000 and some 38mm deep ICANs- it's weighed 7.25kgs- that's with stock DM front brake and a 9010 rear- the only piece of the groupo that's 9100 is the shifters- everything else is R8000- so it can be relatively easily made quite lighter- especially with some tubs, lighter bar/stem, crank, brakes, etc. I know you can put an eeBrake on the rear, like you said, not sure what you can fit on the front except for the Bontrager ones (which, the newer DM ones are reasonably priced on eBay and look way better than the older stock ones- IMO).

With all that said, IDK how aero these frames are when compared to the newer ones- they're definitely nice and light, fun to ride, stiff enough and also different from most of those are bikes in that they're not quite as aggressive unless it's an H1 geo- otherwise, the head-tube is like 190mm on my 58- so it's not ultra aggressive like my old P3 aero road bike conversion- my open mold VB-068 was also more aggressive- but it was basically a Venge clone geo-wise.

IDK, I love my Madone, but out of the bikes I've had in the past two years (when I got into riding for real), the Cervelo P3 that I built into a road bike was by far the most fun, fastest "feeling", light at the time b/c I was rocking it w/tubs and stiffest (I think- this was a year ago I had it).

Either way, I'm definitely a big fan of Madones- I just don't love the newer style of rim brakes they offered and I *f##k* HATE the integrated cabling situation- unless I'm running Di2 or eTap with cable brakes- it would be a major headache.
2014 Madone 5.9 w/R9100 shifters and R8000 everything else- using 38mm ICANs or 60/90 SuperTeams- 7.25kgs with the ICANs and Garmin Vector S dual sided PM pedals- not super light but not a dog, either!

mechkbfan

by mechkbfan

Lelandjt wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 2:44 pm
Some good suggestions here that I'll start looking for in size 60 but nothing with as much weight loss as i was hoping for. My Transonic SL only looks to give up 150-200g to the lightest frames. The other aspects I'd be looking to improve would be a steeper seat tube or non-setback post and chainstay rather than seatstay brake to eliminate rub under power.
Yeah, I've been looking for a Transonic SL now. They look like fantastic bang for buck of aero & light. Quite rare though.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

mechkbfan wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 2:21 am
Lelandjt wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 2:44 pm
Yeah, I've been looking for a Transonic SL now. They look like fantastic bang for buck of aero & light. Quite rare though.
I love it except the setback seatpost. An attempt at making a second post into an inline head was ruined by the machine shop I hired for the drilling and that was the last replacement post I could find. I may get a custom post made.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com