Kask Protone Icon 2022 Review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

jlok wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 12:33 pm
Woland wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:55 am
A genuine question: why is the Protone considered aero? Is there any data to back it up or is it just based on Kask's marketing spiel? I've never seen any data presented anywhere, happy to be proven wrong.
Forget about proving it. You can't validate wind tunnel aero results in real world situations. Use common sense. Less vents means more aero.
Yep.

It is one of the smaller helmets out there, so presents less frontal area, and has less vents. A long tail is pointless unless you keep your head dead straight all the time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Here's a very short vid highlighting the serious issue that the Icon has.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4D711y ... S454AaABAg

I wouldn't buy one at this point in time until it's clear that all current stock has been sold (to suckers) or recalled.

kode54

by kode54

Good to know. Thx for pointing that out. Some shipments to the US have been delayed until The first week in July. It’s possible that this issue is being remedied?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

phillyt1988

by phillyt1988

Mine certainly doesn't have this issue.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Just to say that I received a new Protone Icon with a functioning cradle wheel.
I can't say it feels great or smooth, but it does work. For now.

Broady

by Broady

Ordered the medium and large, medium was too small and large was huge, it's a nightmare having a 59cm head.

kode54

by kode54

My Protone Icon shipping has been pushed back to August 2022...so another month to sort out the niggles.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Robius

by Robius

Broady wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:14 am
Ordered the medium and large, medium was too small and large was huge, it's a nightmare having a 59cm head.
Medium HJC helmets should work for you. They're also light and aero.
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

Broady

by Broady

Sweet, think a pal has one actually, will look into it.

ilovegadgets13

by ilovegadgets13

Any more reflections on the new Icon vs. the old model? I've had 2 new ones now and although the dial has been fine, the ratchet strip at the back seems quite free-moving and therefore allows the cage to move around a bit when you move your head...the racthet strip in the old one had much more defined clicks between the ratchets if that makes sense?

poppiholla

by poppiholla

I bought the Kask Protone icon. I already have the old Protone. The new version has a more sturdy octofit retention system. Also the wheel is bigger and works fine now. I bought the updated version and problems are solved. There is one point that makes me wonder about the new version. The vertical stabilizer across the nape of the neck that provides ergonomic neck support is fine, but you can only move it up and down. You can't move it inside and out (horizontaly). This means that glasses with long arms still bumb againt the vertical stabilizer. Bummer. So I am wondering if other users come across this issue. Overall the new protone icon is better constructed then the old one and very comfy, but I wonder if I should upgrade for the amount of money Kask asks for it. The Protone icon in white looks amazing for sure.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I have a new, corrected Protone Icon for sale in Medium Grey.

crlincoln

by crlincoln

poppiholla wrote:I bought the Kask Protone icon. I already have the old Protone. The new version has a more sturdy octofit retention system. Also the wheel is bigger and works fine now. I bought the updated version and problems are solved. There is one point that makes me wonder about the new version. The vertical stabilizer across the nape of the neck that provides ergonomic neck support is fine, but you can only move it up and down. You can't move it inside and out (horizontaly). This means that glasses with long arms still bumb againt the vertical stabilizer. Bummer. So I am wondering if other users come across this issue. Overall the new protone icon is better constructed then the old one and very comfy, but I wonder if I should upgrade for the amount of money Kask asks for it. The Protone icon in white looks amazing for sure.
I just got the new icon yesterday and have been comparing against my old one, it’s definitely better in quality and build, it looks slightly bigger overall, but not sure if it’s me comparing different colours. Old one black new one white..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yinya

by yinya

crlincoln wrote:
poppiholla wrote:I bought the Kask Protone icon. I already have the old Protone. The new version has a more sturdy octofit retention system. Also the wheel is bigger and works fine now. I bought the updated version and problems are solved. There is one point that makes me wonder about the new version. The vertical stabilizer across the nape of the neck that provides ergonomic neck support is fine, but you can only move it up and down. You can't move it inside and out (horizontaly). This means that glasses with long arms still bumb againt the vertical stabilizer. Bummer. So I am wondering if other users come across this issue. Overall the new protone icon is better constructed then the old one and very comfy, but I wonder if I should upgrade for the amount of money Kask asks for it. The Protone icon in white looks amazing for sure.
I just got the new icon yesterday and have been comparing against my old one, it’s definitely better in quality and build, it looks slightly bigger overall, but not sure if it’s me comparing different colours. Old one black new one white..

It’s bigger, but for me back to “normal” Kask (medium) sizing. The previous Icon was smaller than expected.