Kask Protone Icon 2022 Review

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The rubber on the occipital braces on the old Protone were so annoying. I think I lost the middle pieces after 6 rides. And after a few months the edge trim would come unglued too. I got to try the Icon at Sea Otter and it’s a huge improvement…it’s honestly a completely different helmet that looks nearly the same. The occipital vertical adjustment range is ridiculous.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:50 am
The rubber on the occipital braces on the old Protone were so annoying. I think I lost the middle pieces after 6 rides. And after a few months the edge trim would come unglued too. I got to try the Icon at Sea Otter and it’s a huge improvement…it’s honestly a completely different helmet that looks nearly the same. The occipital vertical adjustment range is ridiculous.
Yeah, I'm really loving it so far, it's a big improvement, even if it looks almost the same.

spartan

by spartan

did they fix the issue with the design of front pad. sweat would always flow into my eyes .the kask utopia has a superior pad design.
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Nejmann

by Nejmann

spartan wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:13 pm
did they fix the issue with the design of front pad. sweat would always flow into my eyes .the kask utopia has a superior pad design.
If they have i'm all in!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spartan wrote:
Also noteworthy…Helmets like the Utopia and Valegro now come with a new brow insert that fits between the vertical pads up front.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri May 06, 2022 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

Someone know availability of this new protone ?

riochang

by riochang

spartan wrote:
nope... rode with the new icon today hoping its different this time, instead had my eyeballs washed with the same old salty waterfall :( the shape of the pads are still the same.

Shrike

by Shrike

What’s the advantage on this helmet over the Valegro? I liked the old Protone but sold it when the lighter Valegro came out.

Is this claiming to be more aero than a Valegro perhaps? Kask make very good looking helmets all round. Find it hard to go with anything else these days. Want a white helmet so back looking at the market.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Valegro better ventilation at low speed.
Protone more aero and quite good ventilation at any speed.
Utopia even more aero. Only ventilate well if you have wind rushing through your head.

andreas

by andreas

2 reviews on Wiggle say the cradle wheel broke within 10 seconds https://www.wiggle.co.uk/kask-protone-i ... elmet-wg11

Would be interesting to know whether it is a design flaw or a QC issue on the first batch.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

andreas wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 7:52 am
2 reviews on Wiggle say the cradle wheel broke within 10 seconds https://www.wiggle.co.uk/kask-protone-i ... elmet-wg11

Would be interesting to know whether it is a design flaw or a QC issue on the first batch.

I had no issues in the short time messing with one at Sea Otter. My friend bought one that day and hasn’t reported any issues since then either.

IanisCercariolo

by IanisCercariolo

Juste received my Large one at 267g for reference

mashiehood

by mashiehood

ive just replaced my old (and found to be cracked) Protone with the new icon. I can honestly say the difference in fit and comfort is night and day. The old one was a good fit but the Icon is damn near perfect and so comfortable. However helmets are totally dependent on the shape of the head and the icon fits my odly shaped hear perfectly.

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

Who is selling these in the US?
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com