Berk saddles quality survey

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Have you had a Berk saddle broken in the past two years?

Yes, the rails broke (7x7)
10%
Yes, the rails broke (7x9)
13%
Yes, the shell broke
9%
Yes, other issues
21%
No, never had any problem
47%

Total votes: 120

Ypuh

by Ypuh

Yoln wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:41 pm
Looking at the survey, only 44% of the buyers in the past 2 years have had zero issues... That's absolutely insane!
Not so sure everyone got the specifics of this question down to the last 2 years.

There are clearly issues with reliability, but reading to these comments there appears to be a significant improvement (or reduction) with the switch to oval rails, not only due to the rails itself but also improvements in the expoxy bonding and glue for the padding.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

C36

by C36

Yoln wrote: Looking at the survey, only 44% of the buyers in the past 2 years have had zero issues... That's absolutely insane!
That’s the typical biais that people with problems tell you more than the ones without. It’s known that tous rails had more problems and some shell deboned but customer service has always been there.

Edit: you see I had 3 saddles and didn’t even think in reporting… I use 2 Dila and no problems over the last 2 years.
Last edited by C36 on Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Yes exactly, I have 2 berks, my friend has 2 as well, and it's all good after 5000km. I'm afraid basing anything on your survey (which I didn't participate in) will be dubious

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

siwong1210

by siwong1210

Currently have a Berk Lupina 7x9 for a little over 2 years and still going strong (knock on wood).

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

C36 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:25 am
Yoln wrote: Looking at the survey, only 44% of the buyers in the past 2 years have had zero issues... That's absolutely insane!
That’s the typical biais that people with problems tell you more than the ones without. It’s known that tous rails had more problems and some shell deboned but customer service has always been there.

Edit: you see I had 3 saddles and didn’t even think in reporting… I use 2 Dila and no problems over the last 2 years.
no bias... this is an easy survey.. I've had 2 Lupinas.. Berks warranty has always been no questions asked.. he would just send me another saddle. After the last lupina he sent me a Dila (which I did not request). I just sold it on ebay and done with it.

I still have a lupina in a box with disconnected rails.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

kode54

by kode54

Mocs123 wrote:Yes, I'd had it sitting on a shelf for over a year and just installed it a few weeks ago. It's a shame as I was really getting along with it.
I have 2 Berk Lupina with 7x9 rails. No issues so probably also with correct epoxy bonding.

On my Gelu F3, I had the top saddle snap on me when I hit a pothole. Got a crash replacement on that. In the Berks, no such saddle crack and I’ve ridden on the Lupinas for 4x more miles.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Second time rails debonded from the shell at the front. Like 4 year old saddle and have seen road like 6000 km. I weigh ~78 kg if that matter.

Berk warranty is great but getting really tired to handle these warranty things. This time not going to buy another one for discounted price. I have sold both replacement saddles so slowly getting to move away to something else.

Overall: 2x debonded rails and one cracked rail (round; 7x7 mm).

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I have 4 unpadded lupinas, 3 of them still in use. No issues - 2 of them have been in use for 4 or 5 years.
Speedplay is the devil!

C36

by C36

spdntrxi wrote:
C36 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:25 am

no bias... this is an easy survey.. I've had 2 Lupinas.. Berks warranty has always been no questions asked.. he would just send me another saddle. After the last lupina he sent me a Dila (which I did not request). I just sold it on ebay and done with it.

I still have a lupina in a box with disconnected rails.
Spend 2 minutes on Google. Disappointed people are a lot more willing to share their bad experiences than the satisfied ones.

It’s now know that round rails had their problems and that oval rails fixed this problem. Some deboning happens and it’s very well supported by customer service. I am not sure it’s needed to continue beating a dead horse.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Absolutely love my Berk Lupina non-padded saddle w/ oval rails... been riding them for >5yrs as they fit my backside perfectly.

Can't imagine changing model or brand.

Thanks, Jure!

charirider

by charirider

Hi fellow WWs!
I am thinking about purchasing Berk Lupina 132mm 3k undapped, to replace my SLR Flow Ti rails (easy -100g weight saving).
I am 76-77kg, with saddle bag and backpack it will be around 80kg rider weight.
Is it safe to use this saddle? I know it is reated up to 100kg, but here riders much lighter than me have broke lupinas, so I am concerned.
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

it's safe, but dont expect it too last. Look at the survey numbers less then 50% had no issues = not good. Ive broken 2 and I gave up on them years ago...
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

charirider

by charirider

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:20 am
it's safe, but dont expect it too last. Look at the survey numbers less then 50% had no issues = not good. Ive broken 2 and I gave up on them years ago...
That's what I am scared of. Even Berk is good in swapping failed saddles, not be able to ride saddle I purchased for a month or two during swap process is NG.

What option you went with, by the way? MCFK, AX?
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.8kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.6kg

Ypuh

by Ypuh

I'm about 80-85 kg without gear. My first Berk has nearly 20.000km on it without issues and just purchased a 2nd one.
spdntrxi wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:28 am
no bias... this is an easy survey.. I've had 2 Lupinas..
The survey states 'the past 2 years' and you keep referring to units which you gave up on years ago. There have been issues with the glue and round rails in the past, but to my knowledge these have been resolved for quite a while now (mine is from 2020).

Like people said; the survey is biased. I don't see the point in trying to keep discrediting a brand whilst you probably got out of it cost-free. Also; it is/was an extremly lightweight product relatively new to the market that's endures quite a bit of stress. Some issues are to be expected, but from what I read it's been pretty solid overall especially in recent years.
Last edited by Ypuh on Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cervelo S3 - 7.3kg
Time ADHX - 8.7kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

The survey is biased because not all Berk saddle owners like myself participated in it. Mine's good all this while but I don't even know of this survey. The only reason I'm posting now is because their service has been impeccable for the numerous times I deal with them and it would be a shame if a poor survey gives them a poor reputation because people don't understand surveys.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk