Silca Ultimate Tubeless Sealant

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

warthog101

by warthog101

rides4beer wrote:Installed a set of Conti Terra Speeds with Ultimate Sealant, no issues. Set the bead about 3/4 of the way around, rotated the opening to 9 o’clock and poured the sealant down into the tire, none of it touched the rim. Granted, this is a 40mm tire, so there’s a lil more room, but a careful pour with a road tire could work, or maybe a small funnel would help.

Terra Speeds mount by hand and inflate with a floor pump, so no problems with any mess. Now we just have to see how it works with punctures and how long it lasts.

Snap!

Well sort of.
Yours looks like it's had a few upgrades.
I just got rid of the stem and bar for -17° and narrower.
Couldn't handle the set back post either.
WR50s there, what are yours?

Tyre sealant, used Hutchinson, Orange Seal Endurance and Stans. Currently Stans.
All have worked for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rides4beer

by rides4beer

warthog101 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:52 am
Well sort of.
Yours looks like it's had a few upgrades.
I just got rid of the stem and bar for -17° and narrower.
Couldn't handle the set back post either.
WR50s there, what are yours?

Tyre sealant, used Hutchinson, Orange Seal Endurance and Stans. Currently Stans.
All have worked for me.
Nice!! AR56s on mine, upgraded stem/bars on mine as well, and went to di2 GRX. :thumbup:

warthog101

by warthog101

rides4beer wrote:
Nice!! AR56s on mine, upgraded stem/bars on mine as well, and went to di2 GRX. Image
The di2 would be nice and yours looks great too. Image

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

whataboutEee wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:36 pm
ghdana wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:13 pm
I am just seeing the update, but this stuff has been a mess for me, I do have a bottle with too much carbon fiber.

It ate away the text on my Roval tubeless tape and eventually ruined the tape after a month. Put some Stans tape in and it ruined that tape in like 2 weeks on one tire. Now using some other tape and going to add some of the replenisher, since it's very hot and dry in Arizona.

Probably going to try MucOff if this tape fails or just go back to the Bontrager I'd been using with 0 issues before.
the rim tape has me worried. I had the tape in brand new zipp 404fc fail at a spoke hole in the rear. I have to pull the front tire tomorrow to warranty the wheel so I'll check out the front, but tape failure is pretty serious and given every wheel manufacturer pretty much uses printed tape, this might not end well for silca.
yup, silca was eating the zipp rim tape. Not sure if it was cosmetic or structural though. It looked like it was just taking off the printed layer, and the structural layer underneath was ok, but still pretty concerning.

JGolds

by JGolds

I am very disappointed and dissatisfied with Silcas Sealant. I had a very small puncture yesterday and it did slow the leak but never sealed the hole. It was a very tiny hole. I opened the tire and there was a solid layer around the whole tire and no liquid. There were little balls of carbon. I also noticed it eating away at the ZIPP rim tape on my 303FC. I ended up putting another 3oz on my 32 GP5000TLS. I also added 1.5 ounces to my front tire just in case. These were my first TL setup so I can compare with Stan's or Orange, but I do know I won't use this again.

I didn't find pouring into the tire difficult at all. As I poured it I just rotated the tire. To clean up I let it dry a bit then just rub off. Same to clean my bike, I had a lot of Sealant all over the bike. Rubbing it, it comes off. Still very surprised it didn't seal. I only used a manual floor pump, no compressor or CO2.

I have the 32 Oz bottle of Replenisher😢. I will let Silca know but not sure what I will do. I would like to use what I I have. Maybe I will just replenish every few weeks.

My only true concern is any damage it can do to my rim tape.

I have read people here recommend Orange standard and Stan's race, leaning towards Stan's race, anyone highly prefer Orange, if so which one?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

FFS use Orange Seal.

manystyles

by manystyles

ghdana wrote:I am just seeing the update, but this stuff has been a mess for me, I do have a bottle with too much carbon fiber.

It ate away the text on my Roval tubeless tape and eventually ruined the tape after a month. Put some Stans tape in and it ruined that tape in like 2 weeks on one tire. Now using some other tape and going to add some of the replenisher, since it's very hot and dry in Arizona.

Probably going to try MucOff if this tape fails or just go back to the Bontrager I'd been using with 0 issues before.
What do exactly mean when you say ruin the tape?

With mega threads like this, I take all these comments with a grain of salt, cuz a lot of could just be perception.

Josh already addressed that bottling / amount of carbon in the latest batch of sealant.

“FFS use orange”. I might, but the promise of Silca’s stuff initially sounded great. I’m keeping at eye o this thread and any updates on their product page too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My guess is what’s happening is the balled up carbon is rattling around in the tire and abrading the tape slowly. The less likely scenario is that one of the liquids is dissolving the tape. This would become obvious because the edges of the tap would look ragged. If the middle is more worn, then it’s the carbon balls IMO.

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:06 pm
FFS use Orange Seal.
There is a lot of room for improvement over orange seal. I've never gotten more than a couple weeks out of the regular before it's dried up, and I've been very underwhelmed with the endurance ability to actually seal any punctures. With that said, I'm back to running orange seal for the time being.

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:35 pm
My guess is what’s happening is the balled up carbon is rattling around in the tire and abrading the tape slowly. The less likely scenario is that one of the liquids is dissolving the tape. This would become obvious because the edges of the tap would look ragged. If the middle is more worn, then it’s the carbon balls IMO.
Silca addresses this on their website, and it is the liquid breaking down some tapes that have printing on them, which is pretty much most wheels if they come taped.

manystyles

by manystyles

whataboutEee wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Silca addresses this on their website, and it is the liquid breaking down some tapes that have printing on them, which is pretty much most wheels if they come taped.
That’s good to know, one less thing to speculate, but where is it mentioned?

I only see the problems with bottling and more porous tires mentioned on the sealant’s product page: https://silca.cc/collections/tubeless/p ... -fiberfoam

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

manystyles wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:35 pm
whataboutEee wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
That’s good to know, one less thing to speculate, but where is it mentioned?

I only see the problems with bottling and more porous tires mentioned on the sealant’s product page: https://silca.cc/collections/tubeless/p ... -fiberfoam

They have a blog post talking about the issues they are having https://silca.cc/blogs/silca/sealant-update

manystyles

by manystyles

Great thanks! Thanks for sharing!

MikeD

by MikeD

whataboutEee wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
It says they've seen that with Orange Seal too but not from Stan's.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The printed tape on my 202 NSWs never had any problems with Orange Seal. A sealant that has tape choice, tire choice limitations, an inability to be injected through the valve, that has balled up fibers, that is extremely sticky to the touch…

This is a failed product.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com