Silca Ultimate Tubeless Sealant

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

snaxez

by snaxez

Seems Silca released a tire sealant yesterday. Talk and spec looks promising, wonder how it will hold up in real world use.
Can`t inject from valve, but if the refill solution lasts a year, then I guess I could live with removing tire once a year, if it`s not worn out before.

Silca Ultimate Tubeless Sealant w/FIBERFOAM

The carbon parts crushing video hurts to watch, but I guess it`s better, than going to the dumpster.
Last edited by snaxez on Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Found that pretty interesting, will be trying this out. So far I am pretty happy with the Silca products.
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

bobones

by bobones

I am an Orange Seal fan, but I still have to get out the Dynaplugs for a fairly high proportion of holes, many of which I would have hoped the sealant would do its job. I also bought some Milkit sealant to avoid staining my tan Veloflex Corsas, but I don't hold out much hope for it being all that effective, so I'll probably buy some of this new Silca stuff.

When you purchase from the silca.cc site, are the goods shipped from the USA, or is their a quicker way to get this in the UK?

Dat

by Dat

bobones wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:39 am
I am an Orange Seal fan, but I still have to get out the Dynaplugs for a fairly high proportion of holes, many of which I would have hoped the sealant would do its job. I also bought some Milkit sealant to avoid staining my tan Veloflex Corsas, but I don't hold out much hope for it being all that effective, so I'll probably buy some of this new Silca stuff.

When you purchase from the silca.cc site, are the goods shipped from the USA, or is their a quicker way to get this in the UK?
Saddleback is the U.K. distributor. Any shop that sells castelli, stages, enve can get it for you.

alanyu

by alanyu

It's expensive and its claim of using REPLENISHER to make the cost less than competitors is totally BS. I usually change my tires roughly every half year. That would be 1 oz sealant + 1 oz REPLENISHER = 18/8+12/4 = 5.25 usd. I currently use 1 + 1 oz Orange during half year, which is 3.8 usd. Even if I used training tires and changed the tires once a year, it would be 1 oz sealant + 2 oz REPLENISHER = 8.25 usd. With Orange that would be 7.5 usd. Unless there are a lot of feedbacks that Silca is significiantly better than Orange/Joe's, which I suppose not

bobones

by bobones

A good proportion of my punctures require plugging and then replenishing the lost sealant, so it may be economical if it is effective at sealing holes without losing a load of sealant.

Lina

by Lina

Who cares about the slightly higher cost if it does what they claim it to do? At least I'm willing to pay slightly more for a better product.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I haven't done the math, but it looks like you have and yes it is more expensive, but it doesn't look significantly so if it works better. Not having a flat on the side of the road is certainly worth an extra dollar or two to me. I've had two people in my club get tubeless flats the past couple of weeks that didn't seal ending rides early. I've just recently put tubeless on one of my bikes at it's certainly a lot more trouble than latex tubes. If it doesn't seal, I might was well go back to tubes.

I'll be interested to see how the new Silca sealant works for people.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Lina wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:43 pm
Who cares about the slightly higher cost if it does what they claim it to do? At least I'm willing to pay slightly more for a better product.
+1
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

bobones

by bobones

Mocs123 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:45 pm
I've had two people in my club get tubeless flats the past couple of weeks that didn't seal ending rides early. I've just recently put tubeless on one of my bikes at it's certainly a lot more trouble than latex tubes. If it doesn't seal, I might was well go back to tubes.
That's why you need Dynaplugs. Sick of reading this sort of crap.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

I am a bit put off by not being able to use an injector. Seems like potentially messy especially with small volume road tyres and not something you want to do on a living room floor.

Also: if the thing is so good at plugging large holes, won't it clog up the valve from the inside? This already happens to some extent with orange seal, and it seems to me like this one is bound to be even more prone to this issue. Josh does not address this in the video.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

bobones wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:02 pm
Mocs123 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:45 pm
I've had two people in my club get tubeless flats the past couple of weeks that didn't seal ending rides early. I've just recently put tubeless on one of my bikes at it's certainly a lot more trouble than latex tubes. If it doesn't seal, I might was well go back to tubes.
That's why you need Dynaplugs. Sick of reading this sort of crap.
I have, but haven't had to use (knock on wood) a Dynaplug Racer due to it being recomended on this forum. One of the guys doesn't carry anything - he just calls his wife if he has a flat - so that's on him, the other guy had a tube and pump but couldn't get the tire back on the rim after putting a tube in. The first guy was on GP5000S-TR and the second guy was on GP5000TL's and both were sidewall punctures.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

snaxez

by snaxez

I understand you can use the replenish liquid with injector, so you would need to take the tire off once a year. I suppose the replenish liquid does not include those carbon particles then.
there was another video, where he showed what will happen to the injector with the sealant. (added to the OP)
But no mention about the valve stem when deflating the tire for example. I suppose you would need to have the valve stem at 12 o'clock position, and would need to wait for the foam to turn liquid.
Last edited by snaxez on Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.

bobones

by bobones

Mocs123 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:19 pm
I have, but haven't had to use (knock on wood) a Dynaplug Racer due to it being recomended on this forum. One of the guys doesn't carry anything - he just calls his wife if he has a flat - so that's on him, the other guy had a tube and pump but couldn't get the tire back on the rim after putting a tube in. The first guy was on GP5000S-TR and the second guy was on GP5000TL's and both were sidewall punctures.
Plugging with a Dynaplug is the next step if a puncture fails to seal, which is more often than you would think. Hopefully, this new Silca formula makes this less frequent.

Fitting a tube really is a last resort and that can be difficult with some tyre/rim combinations. GP 5000s are notoriously tight, and I had a real struggle getting Vittoria Corsa Speeds back on to my WTOs without my tyre jack.

The situations where I have needed to fit a tube were:
i) before I discovered Dynaplugs, a well worn tyre wouldn't hold ordinary worms for any distance.
ii) when I got two holes in different places and only noticed one to plug so the tyre still deflated.
iii) when I got a gash that was too big to hold 3 Dynaplugs. These just blew out and disappeared into the ether when I pumped in some CO2.

I've probably done around 40k miles on road tubeless and never had to make the call of shame. You just need to be prepared for the worst and carry the necessary gear.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

Once I put on some new tires I will give it a try. I've been a Stan's user since it's inception. It's never let me down and I add some very three months. It would be too big of a PITA to take off my current tires and clean them since contamination might cause a failure of the Silca sealant.