Silca Ultimate Tubeless Sealant

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MikeD

by MikeD

TobinHatesYou wrote:The printed tape on my 202 NSWs never had any problems with Orange Seal. A sealant that has tape choice, tire choice limitations, an inability to be injected through the valve, that has balled up fibers, that is extremely sticky to the touch…

This is a failed product.
I tend to agree with that.

manystyles

by manystyles

That’s a shame. I really hope they get these issues sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dizzy

by Dizzy

This forum has an extremely negative bias. Post anything positive and watch it be ignored.

So let me try a more negative tone!

Seriously... The printing coming off rim tape is not exactly world ending. The product being sticky on hands...? Yeah, you're touching it that much? Try gloves. Some of us never had any balled-up fibers and Silca have already acknowledged that and made changes to their process to avoid it. And it can be injected through the valve with the replenisher, just not on the initial setup.

Regular Stan's has failed to seal so many holes in the past for me. And strangely, that's what I want a sealant to do. Seal holes. But somehow that's not a failed product because I can insert more of something that doesn't work very well through the valve?

From Silca's update, it does sound like they're responding to some of these issues anyway, but regardless, some of us really are having the positive experiences Silca also describes in that same post.

ghdana

by ghdana

manystyles wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:25 pm
ghdana wrote:I am just seeing the update, but this stuff has been a mess for me, I do have a bottle with too much carbon fiber.

It ate away the text on my Roval tubeless tape and eventually ruined the tape after a month. Put some Stans tape in and it ruined that tape in like 2 weeks on one tire. Now using some other tape and going to add some of the replenisher, since it's very hot and dry in Arizona.

Probably going to try MucOff if this tape fails or just go back to the Bontrager I'd been using with 0 issues before.
What do exactly mean when you say ruin the tape?

With mega threads like this, I take all these comments with a grain of salt, cuz a lot of could just be perception.

Josh already addressed that bottling / amount of carbon in the latest batch of sealant.

“FFS use orange”. I might, but the promise of Silca’s stuff initially sounded great. I’m keeping at eye o this thread and any updates on their product page too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At first it was just the text coming off, but by the time it was "ruined" it had somehow gotten "into" the tape and killed/ate away the adhesive. I wish I took a picture in hindsight. I thought maybe it was a chemical reaction caused by it being the same tape I'd used with my previous Bontrager sealant.

I did take a picture of the "hole" that somehow appeared in my Stans tape. I've never had tape fail on me before so it's a bit perplexing. It looks like something "scratched" at it, despite the fact I never rode on it flat. The tear that goes down the tape is from when I removed it and it started to split.

https://i.imgur.com/6XDfmFO.jpg
7.7kg Allez Sprint
9kg Exploro Ultra

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ghdana wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:25 am

At first it was just the text coming off, but by the time it was "ruined" it had somehow gotten "into" the tape and killed/ate away the adhesive. I wish I took a picture in hindsight. I thought maybe it was a chemical reaction caused by it being the same tape I'd used with my previous Bontrager sealant.

I did take a picture of the "hole" that somehow appeared in my Stans tape. I've never had tape fail on me before so it's a bit perplexing. It looks like something "scratched" at it, despite the fact I never rode on it flat. The tear that goes down the tape is from when I removed it and it started to split.

https://i.imgur.com/6XDfmFO.jpg

What's more is that Stan's/Tesa 4289 is a regular poly tape, which Silca claims should be unaffected. Looking at your photo, the edges of the tape look fine so my initial assumption stands that it's physical rather than chemical. The tape is likely getting damaged at the spoke holes because of repeated media/balled-carbon collisions with the tape at the sharp edges of the drillings.

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

What's more is that Stan's/Tesa 4289 is a regular poly tape, which Silca claims should be unaffected. Looking at your photo, the edges of the tape look fine so my initial assumption stands that it's physical rather than chemical. The tape is likely getting damaged at the spoke holes because of repeated media/balled-carbon collisions with the tape at the sharp edges of the drillings.
[/quote]

So i had tape failure in my rear zipp, and tape damage in my front, as well as the carbon balls formed in a few days. The only problem with your theory is that the carbon balls all clumped together and stuck to my tire very quickly, they weren't freely floating around in the sealant.

legstrong

by legstrong

Just had a similar failure like some people here. The sealant completely dried out just 1 month after replenisher top off. Fortunately, I was able to ride back home with 10 psi or less in my rear tire.

I'm switching to OS endurance.

Any idea how to remove this silca sealant layer on my tire? It completely covered my tire interior. It is hard to remove and break off easily.

scottydonald

by scottydonald

legstrong wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:03 pm
Just had a similar failure like some people here. The sealant completely dried out just 1 month after replenisher top off. Fortunately, I was able to ride back home with 10 psi or less in my rear tire.

Any idea how to remove this silca sealant layer on my tire? It completely covered my tire interior. It is hard to remove and break off easily.
I wet mine with warm water, then scrubbed - took me 30 minutes a tyre to get them new ish! I hate Silca still a month later!

trailstar

by trailstar

Here is my rear wheel 5 weeks after install. Looks to be in great shape. From the latest batch.

Specialized Renegade 2.35 tire. T7 Compound.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Difficultly level "high" with the insert 😂.
I have abandoned those with Silca, just too messy!
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

trailstar

by trailstar

FlatlandClimber wrote:Difficultly level "high" with the insert Image.
I have abandoned those with Silca, just too messy!
Indeed ImageImage

legstrong

by legstrong

scottydonald wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:24 am
legstrong wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:03 pm

I wet mine with warm water, then scrubbed - took me 30 minutes a tyre to get them new ish! I hate Silca still a month later!
Thanks will try this method.

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

trailstar wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:31 pm
Here is my rear wheel 5 weeks after install. Looks to be in great shape. From the latest batch.

Specialized Renegade 2.35 tire. T7 Compound.

How is your rimtape looking? I am very reluctant to try the new batch silca sent me after looking at what it did to my rim tape.

trailstar

by trailstar

No issues with the rim tape that I could detect. I have Peaties rim tape on this set, which should be a candidate for the graphics to come off based on what I have read in this thread.

https://www.bike24.com/p2314308.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Try TUFOs sealant as for now i will not swap it out!
Even tire pressure seems to remain very very stable.
I have one bottle per tire.
tufo-tubelessvatska-tubeless-ready-sealant.jpg
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.