Silca Ultimate Tubeless Sealant

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bobones

by bobones

scottydonald wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 3:44 pm
hmmmm would the CO2 not have soemthing to do with the drying out?
No, CO2 was only used to inflate the tyre after the sealant had failed to emerge or seal the hole, so it was already like that. It's not totally dry, it's a thick paste, which doesn't look likely to move from the central part of the tyre so unlikely to seal side wall holes. Anyway, I thought Josh say this stuff was meant to have a foamy consistency inside the tyre to help the carbon fibres reach the puncture area?

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

bobones wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:28 am
This morning I got my first puncture on a tyre I'd used Silca sealant in, and sadly it was a major fail: no sealant came out at all and the tyre went completely flat within a minute or so. When I stopped, it was difficult to locate the puncture until I added CO2 as there was no telltale sealant leak, but it turned out to be quite a small hole and a single Dynaplug was enough to plug it and make it airtight. When I got home, I popped the tyre to reveal a fairly thick paste of sealant around the centre of the tyre circumference, but nothing that you would call liquid. I'd filled these tyres with 60 ml of sealant no more than 5 weeks ago so it's a very disappointing outcome on its first test. I am prepared to give it another chance before I go back to Orange Seal, but I'm not sure now whether to add the replenisher to make this paste more liquid or just to add more sealant.

Curious to know about your setup:

- What is the tire/rim combo?
- Was the tubeless setup holding air? (for example, my tubeless setup of Enve 4.5 AR Disc + Schwalbe Pro One TLE loses tire pressure at the rate of 0.1 PSI per hour)
- Was the tire inflated with an air compressor or floor pump?
- Was this a brand new tire when the Silca sealant was initially added?
- If another brand of sealant was used prior to Silca's, was the tire thoroughly cleaned of old sealant?
- What had been the riding condition?
- What had been the storage condition (indoor/outdoor, under the sun/in the shade?)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

cat4forlife wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:00 pm
Curious to know about your setup:

- What is the tire/rim combo?
- Was the tubeless setup holding air? (for example, my tubeless setup of Enve 4.5 AR Disc + Schwalbe Pro One TLE loses tire pressure at the rate of 0.1 PSI per hour)
- Was the tire inflated with an air compressor or floor pump?
- Was this a brand new tire when the Silca sealant was initially added?j
- If another brand of sealant was used prior to Silca's, was the tire thoroughly cleaned of old sealant?
- What had been the riding condition?
- What had been the storage condition (indoor/outdoor, under the sun/in the shade?)
New PZero Race 30s on Kinlin XR-31 hand builts @50 PSI. They don't seem to lose air at all. Only use track pump and airshot, no co2 or compressor. Ride in mild UK climate, stored in garage.

I'm guessing that most of the liquid in the initial 60ml I used (in each) has been absorbed by the tyres, so I've added more sealant to one and a combination of sealant and replenisher to the other. I'll see how it goes from here.

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Really curious to see the response on this from JoshatSilca. Having a product that is more difficult to install be prone to drying out this quickly is suboptimal to say the least. Especially since it's also not easy to check the level inside the tyre without dismounting the tyre.

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

What difference would it make if a compressor or a pump was used to inflate the tyre? I always mean to use a spare spoke as a dip stick to measure the amount of sealant in my tyres, but haven't got around to it yet.

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

mikemelbrooks wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 8:53 pm
What difference would it make if a compressor or a pump was used to inflate the tyre? I always mean to use a spare spoke as a dip stick to measure the amount of sealant in my tyres, but haven't got around to it yet.
You can use a zip tie as a dip stick.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mikemelbrooks wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 8:53 pm

No real difference. Porous tires that lose pressure more quickly are also porous enough to soak up the sealant's carrier solution (mostly glycol and water.) Porous tires will need to be pumped up more often, introducing fresh, drier air into the tire. Inflation method doesn't matter.

mathias720

by mathias720

Does anyone have any real life experience with x-sauce both road and mtB version and their additive?
i was told by a shop that they all use it and are happy with it. seems to seal fairly decent but most important for me, you are able to wash it off the clothing.

been running orange seal atm. and seems to seal good but i get sprayed up the back and have ruined 2 sets of clothing now(400 euro a set)
so wanna find something that is not ruining clothing, else tubeless is not worth it for me atm. unless its for race whells.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 1:48 am
No real difference. Porous tires that lose pressure more quickly are also porous enough to soak up the sealant's carrier solution (mostly glycol and water.) Porous tires will need to be pumped up more often, introducing fresh, drier air into the tire. Inflation method doesn't matter.
If the carrier solution has water, how much would it help with sealant longevity to pump up tires in the bathroom after a steamy shower?

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

BigBoyND wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 5:10 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 1:48 am
If the carrier solution has water, how much would it help with sealant longevity to pump up tires in the bathroom after a steamy shower?
Or you could just squirt some water through the presta valve?

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Not sure I want extra liquid water in there when there's a puncture. Could defeat the purpose. Humid air at least won't mess with the formula.

MikeD

by MikeD

BigBoyND wrote:Not sure I want extra liquid water in there when there's a puncture. Could defeat the purpose. Humid air at least won't mess with the formula.
Silca says water or moist air from a compressor could make the sealant harden.

Dizzy

by Dizzy

Just set up two 29x2.2" Rene Herse Fleecer Ridge tyres (Endurance Casing) with Silca Ultimate. Will report back on the results.

The sealant wasn't an issue to use. Seating those Fleecer Ridge tyres even with an air-canister pump wasn't much fun though.

Put in about 170mL of sealant per tyre instead of the recommended 120mL due to the fact that I'm touring on the bike a very long way in June.

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

BigBoyND wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 9:48 am
Not sure I want extra liquid water in there when there's a puncture. Could defeat the purpose. Humid air at least won't mess with the formula.
You are assuming that the moisture in the air will not condense when the pressure in the tyre increases. Gas Law states that if you increase the pressure of humid air the water vapour will begin to condense. As most road tyres are inflated to +4 bar I think it entirely likely this will occur. And also why I have to drain the condensate from my compressor regulaly as the moisture in the air condenses as it is compressed.
Last edited by mikemelbrooks on Tue May 31, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

MikeD wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:33 pm
BigBoyND wrote:Not sure I want extra liquid water in there when there's a puncture. Could defeat the purpose. Humid air at least won't mess with the formula.
Silca says water or moist air from a compressor could make the sealant harden.
All the recipes for home made tyre sealant have a large quantity of water as an Ingredient. along with amonium, antifreeze, liquid latex and corn starch. As Silca sell replenisher I suspect it contains water, amonium, antifreeze mix.