Silca Ultimate Tubeless Sealant

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scottydonald

by scottydonald

I am an orange seal guy but getting new tyres this week so tempted to try this as found it in stock. I would have to order more Orange seal or this. I am just wondering if it is just too good from the reviews and will be a nightmare to use in the real world.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Just started using this and have a few customers bikes out there trialing it for me.

It's definitely a bit thicker (and stickier) than Orange Seal.

Left some to dry on my workbench and it was easy to remove and not tacky at all.

No issues pouring into the open tyre and sealing, however, this could be very messy if using a troublsome tyre / rim combo where you need to seat the tyre first, where you would then inject the sealant through the valve. Obviously you don't have that option using this. So I'd definitely recommend trying to seat the tyre dry beforehand, then unmounting both sides (not just one) and pouring in the sealant.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

scottydonald

by scottydonald

ryanw wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:48 am
Just started using this and have a few customers bikes out there trialing it for me.

It's definitely a bit thicker (and stickier) than Orange Seal.

Left some to dry on my workbench and it was easy to remove and not tacky at all.

No issues pouring into the open tyre and sealing, however, this could be very messy if using a troublsome tyre / rim combo where you need to seat the tyre first, where you would then inject the sealant through the valve. Obviously you don't have that option using this. So I'd definitely recommend trying to seat the tyre dry beforehand, then unmounting both sides (not just one) and pouring in the sealant.
Interesting. So would this be ok with GP5000S TR on an Enve 4.5AR, my tyres arrive tomorrow and i am by no means good at putting on tyres? I do have a pump and air compressor.

Why unseat both sides?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Assume you've got 28mm or bigger coming for the ARs?

You need to unseat both sides since it reduces the internal volume and will make it easier for the tyre to mount.

scottydonald

by scottydonald

ryanw wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:01 am
Assume you've got 28mm or bigger coming for the ARs?

You need to unseat both sides since it reduces the internal volume and will make it easier for the tyre to mount.
Tan wall 28s.

Ahhh thanks.

TriJoeri

by TriJoeri

Anyone in Europe that has found a (reliable) webshop where this can be bought?
I found one in Belgium but they only have the smaller bottle for the first fill, not the bigger bottle for refills..

crlincoln

by crlincoln

TriJoeri wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:21 am
Anyone in Europe that has found a (reliable) webshop where this can be bought?
I found one in Belgium but they only have the smaller bottle for the first fill, not the bigger bottle for refills..
I just ordered direct from Silca to the UK....

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

anyone else have issues of rapid drying like this user is reporting? https://smile.amazon.com/gp/customer-re ... B09VQ2WKF2

clymN

by clymN

whataboutEee wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 2:38 pm
anyone else have issues of rapid drying like this user is reporting? https://smile.amazon.com/gp/customer-re ... B09VQ2WKF2
Wow Yes.. same here. I installed 2 oz of Silca Ultimate 7 days ago on a new 700x28 Continental Grand Prix 5000 TL rear tire. I was riding in rain yesterday and hit a small pot hole that caused a small hole almost in the center of my rear tire. Sealant went everywhere and it did not seal. Since the hole seemed small and not on the sidewall I tried pumping up with a hand pump and holding so that the hole might seal with the remaining sealent. It just kept bubbling white bubbles and would not seal with enough pressure to ride. I inserted a dynaplug and still had to attempt to pump the tire three times before it seemed to seal. A bit later the pressure dropped again and I used a cartridge and for some reason, maybe the higher pressure.. this time it finally sealed enought to continue. This flat was after about 150 miles with the new tire and sealant. Today I replaced my tire and found a very thick layer of dried sealant that looks very similar to the photo you linked from an amazon reviewer down the center of the inside of the tire. There were also clumps stuck to the inside of the tire that were not the result of sealing other holes. There were no remaining carbon fiber particles that I could see that could be useful for sealing new flats. This stuff just seems to dry out way too quickly. I switched back to my old sealant for now.
Screen Shot 2022-05-07 at 5.43.43 PM.png

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Orange Seal ftw.

RustyCage

by RustyCage

clymN wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 11:54 pm
whataboutEee wrote:
Wow Yes.. same here. I installed 2 oz of Silca Ultimate 7 days ago on a new 700x28 Continental Grand Prix 5000 TL rear tire. I was riding in rain yesterday and hit a small pot hole that caused a small hole almost in the center of my rear tire. Sealant went everywhere and it did not seal. Since the hole seemed small and not on the sidewall I tried pumping up with a hand pump and holding so that the hole might seal with the remaining sealent. It just kept bubbling white bubbles and would not seal with enough pressure to ride. I inserted a dynaplug and still had to attempt to pump the tire three times before it seemed to seal. A bit later the pressure dropped again and I used a cartridge and for some reason, maybe the higher pressure.. this time it finally sealed enought to continue. This flat was after about 150 miles with the new tire and sealant. Today I replaced my tire and found a very thick layer of dried sealant that looks very similar to the photo you linked from an amazon reviewer down the center of the inside of the tire. There were also clumps stuck to the inside of the tire that were not the result of sealing other holes. There were no remaining carbon fiber particles that I could see that could be useful for sealing new flats. This stuff just seems to dry out way too quickly. I switched back to my old sealant for now.

Seems to me there are two mechanisms for this:
1. Loss of air
2. Instability of latex

I have a new 5000TL that I have to pump up more frequently than I want... every other day at ~15C. The more air that goes in means more is coming out... and with it the solvent (mostly water) of the latex. The side walls of the 5000TL have had issues with leaking, especially around the lable.

Instability of the latex is a blessing and curse. You need to latex to coagulate during the puncture/fill process. The formulator can make the emulsion more stable, but may loose the "quick" sealing properties. Silca maybe on the knifes edge... that is minimally stable for fastest sealing. The flip side of that coin is that any residues in the tire (mold release, cure accelerators, etc.) can cause emulsion failure. This even can happen at the factory, on a batch to batch basis, where natural rubber laticies may require differing amounts of emulsifier, which I would imagine a nightmare to control. If the emulsion fails inside the tire the rubber comes out of suspension and sticks to all sorts of surfaces inside the tire, and when a puncture occurs there is an insufficient rubber content in the remaining liquid to coagulate the hole.. even though it may appear milky.

I've not used Silca's product yet, but I do intend to try it out. I would suggest getting in contact with Silca... there maybe an issue with lot you/others received.

Another suggestion is, with a new tire, to wipe some sealant around the inside of the tire with a paper towel, wait a minute or two and then rince with excess water and then install and normal. If there is contamination from the tire this may mitigate some issues.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Will check my customers tyres this week and see how it's got on.

whataboutEee

by whataboutEee

clymN wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 11:54 pm
whataboutEee wrote:

well nuts. Looks like I'm going to have to pull a tire and see how things look. I had really high hopes for this since I trust silca to do their research.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Gotta pull my tires and see what's up as well. This is pretty unsettling, with this being in all my racing tires now and racing is just around the corner!
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ do let us know..

I'll stick with OrangeSeal for life so it seems... I see no reason to try others
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault