Silca Ultimate Tubeless Sealant

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jadedaid wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:00 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:40 am

It's just not worth the risk experimenting with this stuff, especially not right now with road season having started.
Do you think the sealant is damaging the wheel itself?

I think the tape is being damaged by abrasion from balled up carbon fibers rolling around. This is likely exacerbated by letting the sealant dry out since there will be more carbon fiber balls and less liquid acting like a lubricant. The only part of a rim that comes in contact with sealant would be the rim-bed on a rim which doesn’t require tape. Even if the carbon rim-bed were exposed, it is hard enough not to be significantly damaged by abrasion.

That being said, if I’m in a race and my front tire loses all pressure suddenly, that could result in a crash. In the worst case, the air rushing into the rim cavity could cause catastrophic damage to the rim.

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:51 am
bobones wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:24 am
Not being able to inject it through the valve is the show stopper for me. The potential for mess is far too high, especially if you have a tyre/rim combo that is difficult to inflate and seat. I've also had it apparently eat a hole through a valve stem, so there seems to be something corrosive about it given this and reports of it eating rim tape.
Strange, i bought an injector from Silca. So it should be made to be injected through a valve.
They also sell valve cores which is reportedly working for injecting sealant through (never done that though)
The Silca sealant replenisher can be injected via the valve stem. The Silca sealant with FIBERFOAM has to be poured in, if you don't want to risk clogging the valve stem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

^
Blah, i just read that!
I wish i had not bought it! Why did i miss this :-(
It's crap pouring sealant inside a tire before it's seated on the rim. It's like asking for getting provoked - to get mad!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

bobones wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:24 am
Not being able to inject it through the valve is the show stopper for me. The potential for mess is far too high, especially if you have a tyre/rim combo that is difficult to inflate and seat. I've also had it apparently eat a hole through a valve stem, so there seems to be something corrosive about it given this and reports of it eating rim tape.
Same here. I've defended the ease of tube roadless setup, primarily based on my experience of getting the tire seated, then injecting through the valve which I find both relatively easy and clean. The idea of having to try to get the tire seated after puring a bunch of this stuff into the tire first really doesn't appeal to me.

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:34 pm
Same here. I've defended the ease of tube roadless setup, primarily based on my experience of getting the tire seated, then injecting through the valve which I find both relatively easy and clean. The idea of having to try to get the tire seated after puring a bunch of this stuff into the tire first really doesn't appeal to me.
I can understand that sentiment. It's definitely easier and less messy to be able to inject sealant through the valve. But since i started using the Silca sealant in the rear wheel, i realized there is one advantage with the pour-in method. It is significantly easier to seat a tire with the sealant already in the tire. I think the sealant acts as a lubricant, as well as a barrier to limit air from gushing out of the tire while seating it. With the pour-in method, it has never taken me more than 30 seconds to seat the tire. Without the sealant in the tire, i sometimes can get it seated relatively quickly. But there are times even after spraying tons of soapy water, it would take me half an hour to get the tire seated.

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

CyclingGiraffe wrote:
This is the process i go through each time with the Silca sealant when i also have to replace the rim tape:
1. Mount and seat tire. If it's not holding air, make sure it's not leaking out around the valve stem. If it is, there is a leak in the rim tape or at the valve stem/rim tape interface.
2. Once i have confirmed there is no leak around the valve stem - minor leaks from tire and bead/rim interface can be addressed later by the sealant - unseat the beads (both sides).
3. Partially unmount one side of the tire near the valve, wide enough to allow sealant be poured in.
4. Carefully pour in the sealant and slowly rotate the tire until the valve is now at the 12 o'clock position.
5. Mount the tire.
6. Remove presta valve core.
7. Seat the tire using an air compressor.
8. Insert presta valve core and inflate tire to appropriate tire pressure.
9. Swing the wheel from side to side and rotate the tire to get the sealant well-coated on the tire and tire bead/rim interface.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

cat4forlife wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:06 pm
CyclingGiraffe wrote:
I can understand that sentiment. It's definitely easier and less messy to be able to inject sealant through the valve. But since i started using the Silca sealant in the rear wheel, i realized there is one advantage with the pour-in method. It is significantly easier to seat a tire with the sealant already in the tire. I think the sealant acts as a lubricant, as well as a barrier to limit air from gushing out of the tire while seating it. With the pour-in method, it has never taken me more than 30 seconds to seat the tire. Without the sealant in the tire, i sometimes can get it seated relatively quickly. But there are times even after spraying tons of soapy water, it would take me half an hour to get the tire seated.

I don't know why you've linked the two. You can inject Orange Seal through a valve before you seat a tire. Being REQUIRED to pour sealant into an unseated tire isn't a good thing and shouldn't be framed that way.

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:50 am
cat4forlife wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:06 pm
CyclingGiraffe wrote:

I don't know why you've linked the two. You can inject Orange Seal through a valve before you seat a tire. Being REQUIRED to pour sealant into an unseated tire isn't a good thing and shouldn't be framed that way.
For the very simple reason that i hadn't thought of injecting sealant through the valve stem after mounting the tire.

macwatt

by macwatt

Recently removed tubeless tyres with Silca Sealant installed the rim tape was mostly disintegrated never had this issue with any other sealant previously used Stans, Muc Off and Orange Seal. The sealant was installed end of summer last year not had any punctures so can't comment on how good it seals however due to the rim tape damage don't think I will use this again.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

So i've been using orange sealant - endurance sealant for quite some time now, never had any problems. But I do wanna check several options, anyone has a good comparision with orange sealant in terms of seal/holding air/top ups etc?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

What happened to the blog post? I was going to point MrRolandos to it so he could read about the issues from the source...

https://silca.cc/blogs/silca/sealant-update (404)

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:53 am
What happened to the blog post? I was going to point MrRolandos to it so he could read about the issues from the source...

https://silca.cc/blogs/silca/sealant-update (404)
May be it went to the same place as my less than positive review of the Asymmetrico seat roll.

Nereth

by Nereth

I've used this sealant about two years I'd say, maybe 50,000ks, and it didn't damage the tubeless rim tape. Went about 6 months on Enve tape and maybe another year on Stans (both seem to be the recommended TPP material). Enve tape was replaced for unrelated reasons.

Did you guys have issues with those brands?

I've just set up a new pair of wheels with this sealant because it's never given me any drama. And with that, I've finished my first bottle. Hopefully the second bottle is still good.

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

Nereth wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:25 am
I've used this sealant about two years I'd say, maybe 50,000ks, and it didn't damage the tubeless rim tape. Went about 6 months on Enve tape and maybe another year on Stans (both seem to be the recommended TPP material). Enve tape was replaced for unrelated reasons.

Did you guys have issues with those brands?

I've just set up a new pair of wheels with this sealant because it's never given me any drama. And with that, I've finished my first bottle. Hopefully the second bottle is still good.
Which sealant were you referring to?

Nereth

by Nereth

... The silca tubeless sealant? Is there more than one type?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com