Campagnolo 13-Speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

neeb

by neeb

caballero wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:20 am
The calipers were different to current version. They looked to be 1 piece and had more sculpting, possibly leading to weight reduction.
What calipers? You mean disc ones?

An update to the rim calipers could be good news as the 12sp are heavy compared with the 11sp skeleton ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

flying

by flying

micky wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:30 am
flying wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:55 am
mike wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:57 pm
I am staying with 11 speed. Am perfectly happy even with 9 or 10 speeds as well. No need for the 13 speed
+1 :thumbup:
You mean 14 speed?
:lol: TBH I swear I mainly use 17-19-22 on both the 34 & 50 as I live in the mountains...then of course the 50x11 going down So I could prob live with a 4x2 speed :lol:

usr

by usr

caballero wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:32 am
I was told, and could see - 13 speed / wireless / updated brake calipers... and separate buttons like Shimanos sprint shifters !!
One of those thoughts that come only to that wandering mind you have when riding a road known too well: Ekar 13 is said to only fit all those cogs because the big ones are so big that DS spoke are already noticeable closer to NDS that far out. Would the observed 13s use that same geometry, mandating wide spread with perhaps a very large small ring for people who don't want 1:1 and beyond (return of 53:39 cranks?) or would they use a different 13s spacing, making road 13s and Ekar more incompatible within the brand than 11s (and 12s?) have been across brands? Would an "Ekar cassette geometry, but with larger rings to compensate for Very Large Cogs" approach even allow sufficiently big small cogs without interfering with frames? I think I'veread somewhere a claim that an Ekar cassette narrower than 10-36 wouldn't even be possible given geometrical constraints. (no idea if that claim was true!)

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

13s seems plausible with the n3w hub standard.

12s road is quite enough with cassette choices imo.

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

13s seems plausible with the n3w hub standard.

12s road is quite enough with cassette choices imo.

RDY

by RDY

I really don't think 13s is going to be a selling point at all for 2x.

robertbb

by robertbb

micky wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:30 am
flying wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:55 am
mike wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:57 pm
I am staying with 11 speed. Am perfectly happy even with 9 or 10 speeds as well. No need for the 13 speed
+1 :thumbup:
You mean 14 speed?
I see what you did there. 13+1=14.

Still, a part of me opines for a new wireless 1x14 (road) group from Campy.

In which case, shut up and take my money.

simbikotic

by simbikotic

usr wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:59 pm
caballero wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:32 am
I was told, and could see - 13 speed / wireless / updated brake calipers... and separate buttons like Shimanos sprint shifters !!
One of those thoughts that come only to that wandering mind you have when riding a road known too well: Ekar 13 is said to only fit all those cogs because the big ones are so big that DS spoke are already noticeable closer to NDS that far out. Would the observed 13s use that same geometry, mandating wide spread with perhaps a very large small ring for people who don't want 1:1 and beyond (return of 53:39 cranks?) or would they use a different 13s spacing, making road 13s and Ekar more incompatible within the brand than 11s (and 12s?) have been across brands? Would an "Ekar cassette geometry, but with larger rings to compensate for Very Large Cogs" approach even allow sufficiently big small cogs without interfering with frames? I think I'veread somewhere a claim that an Ekar cassette narrower than 10-36 wouldn't even be possible given geometrical constraints. (no idea if that claim was true!)
I found this comment very thought provoking! So I went and took some measurements:
Ekar 13s 42t clearance to spoke: 8.4mm
Ekar 13s 36t (diameter) clearance to spoke: 7.6mm
SR 12s 32t clearance to spoke ~7.6mm (Caveat - not the same hub+wheel)

So it seems that Ekar probably does set the cassette more inboard taking advantage of the larger rings so clearance of a 36t is about equal to clearance of a 32t for 12s. But how much clearance is required? 7.5mm seems fairly generous already.

Hanibal74

by Hanibal74

Any idea when a potential wireless SR might be available?

I’m about to build up a new bike once the frame arrives but could wait until the middle of the year if it means getting my hands on wireless EPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

usr

by usr

If they are still running aluminum experiments I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a minor upgrade to the current gen before getting the results of those experiments.

On the other hand I believe that they are experiencing considerable pain from the lack of wireless and ESP only on super record level (which was perfectly fine when 12s was new, but the market is a very different market now), so I wouldn't be surprised if they rushed, hard. But for a release by middle of the year, spotting reports would be about something very close to production. (unless this was in fact close to production, retro CNC design taking the aesthetics introduced with Ekar to eleven)

Miller

by Miller

It's hard to tell with Campag what stage they are at. My impression is that they've been very good at keeping development out of sight until a product is ready for release.

Dov

by Dov

They're definitely not going to fit another cog into the same cassette body, the 12 spd block is already so tight that setting up the rear mech is a challenge.

Maybe they do it by hanging the largest cog over hub shell but this seems to solve a problem that doesn't exist. Nobody is really looking for a smaller gear on a 2x than 34:32 and they seem to have gravel sorted with Ekar.

This must mean a new standard of some sort. 135/142 rear end, disc brake only and use the extra few mm to fit in the 13th cog.
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

Vespasianus

by Vespasianus

RDY wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:41 pm
I really don't think 13s is going to be a selling point at all for 2x.
A 48/32 crankset with a 9-42 cassette would have a huge range but not sure how good it would be.

I love EKAR and find the cassette to be perfectly designed for a mix of road and gravel with a single front ring. Pushing that cassette with a 48 tooth or 32 tooth would be very different.
Cinelli Superstar - Campagnolo H11
Tommasini Custom X-Fire gravel - EKAR

gwerziou

by gwerziou

I'd love it if they made a shifter that could be used w Ekar that could do multiple shifts in either direction.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

gwerziou

by gwerziou

Hanibal74 wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:38 am
Any idea when a potential wireless SR might be available?

I’m about to build up a new bike once the frame arrives but could wait until the middle of the year if it means getting my hands on wireless EPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
They have a big product announcement on April 29, is the rumor, so we'll undoubtedly find out more then.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com