Open MIN.D. California - The spiritual sequel to Cervelo R5CA & RCA

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pureriffery

by pureriffery

OPEN MIN.D. California
Frameset: 775g (Raw Carbon, Uncut seatpost including the full seatmast)
Made in USA Project California R&D lab/factory
US$7,500 (plus sales tax) / €7,500 (including sales tax)

Source: https://opencycle.com/updates/introduci ... california

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

Giant, Open and 3T really need to update their frames with fully internal cable routing. I can't stand the sight of external disc hoses.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maquisard

by maquisard

Give me a non-integrated seat-post and I might be convinced. I am honestly not that bothed by non-integrated cables on a non-aero bike, the main appeal for of the MIN.D is that the top tube is not completing sloping and their are no terrible dropped seat stays.

This is a lot of money for a frame. It might sound 'artisan' that the frame is hand made in California. However the CAD/CAM automated tape laying production techniques that Specialized is using for the Aethos and Crux are far more sophisticated and ensure that the manufacturing production variance from frame to frame is very low.

alanyu

by alanyu

It's a shame to be called as spiritual sequl to RCA. Way tooooo heavy

bobones

by bobones

I'll just take a TCR Advanced SL frameset and pocket the €5k change, thank you very much. :roll:
Last edited by bobones on Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pmprego

by pmprego

StiffWeenies wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:23 am
Giant, Open and 3T really need to update their frames with fully internal cable routing. I can't stand the sight of external disc hoses.
I have a fully internal frame and never again will I go for one. This is why some companies still don't do it.

robeambro

by robeambro

7500 EUR for an unpainted frame with stock geometry is borderline ridiculous.
What is one paying for? "a completely new layup, new production tools, and a whole bag of different tricks". Right, ok, this is not generic at all, I see where my money is going.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

pmprego wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:06 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
I have a fully internal frame and never again will I go for one. This is why some companies still don't do it.
The few remaining offerings on the market that lack fully internal routing are simply models that haven't been updated yet

bobones

by bobones

StiffWeenies wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:05 pm
pmprego wrote:
StiffWeenies wrote:
The few remaining offerings on the market that lack fully internal routing are simply models that haven't been updated yet
The current TCR was new for 2021, and the decision to stick with external routing was deliberate. The TCR may well get internal cables in its next revision, but I am pretty sure the Aethos won't.
Last edited by bobones on Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

bobones wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:29 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:05 pm
pmprego wrote:
StiffWeenies wrote:
The current TCR was new for 2021, and the decision to stick with external routing was deliberate. The TCR may well get internal cables in its next revision, but I am pretty sure that Aethos won't.
Looks like TCR will be getting it fairly soon. Besides, Giant has always been rather conservative seeing as the previous generation TCR had an externally routed fork. And as for the Aethos, isn't that just down to it being an evolution of the SL5 design?

IvanZg

by IvanZg

StiffWeenies wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:33 pm
Looks like TCR will be getting it fairly soon. Besides, Giant has always been rather conservative seeing as the previous generation TCR had an externally routed fork. And as for the Aethos, isn't that just down to it being an evolution of the SL5 design?
That's the current version of the bike. Cables are just pulled to the side

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

IvanZg wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:36 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
Wow I think you're right. I thought that the cables were exiting from the headset...whoops

pmprego

by pmprego

StiffWeenies wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:39 pm
IvanZg wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:36 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
Wow I think you're right. I thought that the cables were exiting from the headset...whoops
I just gave my opinion. For my next frame, it'll have to be external cables. If I stop having a choice for it, then it is what it is but if I have the choice then it'll be external. I'll not make the same mistake twice :)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

If i blew that kind of money i would probably go custom.
Between OPEN and BMC i like BMC Masterpiece better (which ofcourse is even more psycho expensive)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric01

by eric01

Weight savings vs original due to lack of paint. Take a regular open mind and sand down the paint.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium