New Michelin Power Cup Tubeless: GP5K S TR competitor

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
alanyu

by alanyu

Ah yes, you mentioned the sidewall issue, which I forgot. Since I wanted to use these tyres in crits, the narrow tread will be a problem and there will be a risk. I just wrote to bike24 and will return them tomorrow.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pmprego

by pmprego

alanyu wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:54 pm
Ah yes, you mentioned the sidewall issue, which I forgot. Since I wanted to use these tyres in crits, the narrow tread will be a problem and there will be a risk. I just wrote to bike24 and will return them tomorrow.
Thinking of doing the same

Yoln

by Yoln

pmprego wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:59 pm
alanyu wrote:
Even though I'm worried about the oversize issue on wide rims, I don't think the thread with is an issue at all.

Corsa speed are the crit king tires, and they have exactly the same tread width
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

alanyu

by alanyu

Yoln wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:01 pm
pmprego wrote:
alanyu wrote:
Even though I'm worried about the oversize issue on wide rims, I don't think the thread with is an issue at all.

In the local crit here, not many people use Corsa Speed. The road is averaged with a bit stone and sand from the side.

Maddie

by Maddie

alanyu wrote:
Yoln wrote:
pmprego wrote:
alanyu wrote:

In the local crit here, not many people use Corsa Speed. The road is averaged with a bit stone and sand from the side.
You can hardly blame the grip of a tire when you slide out on a sandy corner. Even Corsa Speed wouldn't help there.

What tires are used on your local crit scene?

alanyu

by alanyu

Maddie wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:42 pm
alanyu wrote:
Yoln wrote:
pmprego wrote:

You can hardly blame the grip of a tire when you slide out on a sandy corner. Even Corsa Speed wouldn't help there.

What tires are used on your local crit scene?
I've used old Pro one, GP5k TL, kenda Valkyrie TL, and Pzero Race TLR, in which GP5k TL is the only one brought me trouble. I don't corner through the real sandy/gravel part.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Yoln wrote:

That’s silly of you. The narrow tread cap is made much much worse on the Power Cup because it’s a 29mm tire. Corsa Speeds are probably around 26mm on my SES 5.6. I wouldn’t use Corsa Speeds on 21mm internal rims either.

If you’re having trouble visualizing this. Imagine a 300mm wide tire with a tread cap as narrow as a Corsa Speed. If you lean even the slightest amount, you’re riding bare casing/sidewall.

Aress

by Aress

So I just got the new Power Cups (tube type) on my wheels:
At 5.5bars 19ID, they measured 27mm on the money
For comparison my old GP5Ks measured 26.1mm

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:11 pm
Yoln wrote:

That’s silly of you. The narrow tread cap is made much much worse on the Power Cup because it’s a 29mm tire. Corsa Speeds are probably around 26mm on my SES 5.6. I wouldn’t use Corsa Speeds on 21mm internal rims either.

If you’re having trouble visualizing this. Imagine a 300mm wide tire with a tread cap as narrow as a Corsa Speed. If you lean even the slightest amount, you’re riding bare casing/sidewall.
Take a look at BRR. It's nearly the same as a % of case width, not in absolute terms.

allrandomletters

by allrandomletters

My 28mm Power Cup TL measured 31.0mm mounted on 25mm internal hookless rims. Took them out for 70 miles yesterday, rolling hills and twisties. The tread wear looks to stay just inside the tread cap. These could take a few more degrees of lean angle. Measured them again this morning at 31.4mm after a weekend of riding.

The tires felt very fast and comfortable during the ride.

Do these tires have a rotation direction indicator hidden somewhere? I gave up looking for it and just mounted them. I suppose since they are completely slick, the direction does not matter?
20220621_073635.jpg

Yoln

by Yoln

allrandomletters wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:02 pm
My 28mm Power Cup TL measured 31.0mm mounted on 25mm internal hookless rims. Took them out for 70 miles yesterday, rolling hills and twisties. The tread wear looks to stay just inside the tread cap. These could take a few more degrees of lean angle. Measured them again this morning at 31.4mm after a weekend of riding.

Do these tires have a rotation direction indicator hidden somewhere? I gave up looking for it and just mounted them. I suppose since they are completely slick, the direction does not matter?
20220621_073635.jpg
No direction on slick tires (as long as they don't have aero artifacts, like the GP5k).

Even knoby tires can be mounted both directions. For gravel Rene Herse for exemple they you say that recommended (arrow of the tread pointing forward) favors speed and wet-grip on asphalt (better water flow). But backwards mounting favors grip in muddy conditions.
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

Aress

by Aress

allrandomletters wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:02 pm

20220621_073635.jpg

The tread wear stays in the center because if you lean too much the bike will naturally get back up
I have the same feedback as you but its a bummer i cant corner as hard as i used to one my old GP5K

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Which wheel will likely face more lean angle? Front or back?
I guess it's the back, right? because front wheel countersteer out of the corner?

I'm still waiting to try mixed brand combo.
GP5000 front for smaller size and aero shaped tread pattern.
Michelin rear because the size and aero stripe doesn't matter as much.

But I'm not sure if that make sense, tread width wise.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

Michelin front/ Conti back however doesn't sound like the right way of doing it. At least not the fastest way
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BigBoyND wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:00 am

Take a look at BRR. It's nearly the same as a % of case width, not in absolute terms.

Tires behave differently when inflated. A 25mm Corsa Speed G2.0 measures something like 27.5mm on the RSL 37s. My Power Cups measure 29.5mm. That 2mm difference in diameter equates to roughly 6mm in circumference. With a vulcanized tire, I would bet the portion of the casing under the tread stretches less than the thinner sidewalls also.